Question about conversion bulb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbud_chick

Smokin' BC Bud
Reaction score
The HPS light that I am looking at purchasing has a Metal Halide conversion bulb and I was just wondering does that mean I can use the light with either a HPS bulb or a MH bulb so I don't have to have separate HPS and MH lights?

The conversion bulb is nothing more than an HPS bulb, with a slightly higher blue spectrum content. The ballast will not burn an ordinary MH bulb.

Is the conversion bulb appropriate for veg? Or do I have to buy an MH light as well?

The conversion is fine.. :) for vegging

Hick said:
The conversion is fine.. :) for vegging

I've been visiting this site alot longer than I have been a member for, and I have read numerous threads with differing opinions on whether HPS are ok for vegging...which side of that arguement are you on Hick?

bcbud_chick said:
That appears to be a better deal than buying the two separate lights...I guess it depends how much the reflector is going to cost.

Here's a complete 400 wattt and 600 watt package, not a bad price, personally I would go with a 600, depends on grow area but better penetration with 600 --4 by 4 ft area it would be ideal.

http://www.htgsupply.com/growlights.asp?categoryID=1&subcategoryID=101&typeID=57

http://www.htgsupply.com/growlights.asp?categoryID=1&subcategoryID=101&typeID=58

A mh is "ABSOLUTELY" NOT neccessary. There is no valid argument otherwise.
MH has more in the blue spectrum, which allegedly results in more females, from seed. But a HPS or MH will do the entire grow just fine. "I" actually prefer the HPS for clones.
I have a "switchable" ballast, but very seldom use the mh side.

Even reading published novels youll get conflicting information about using MH vers HPS. If you already have the converson bulb, use that for some veg time, then do the switch, but if not, hps bulb will be just as effective, no need to buy a new bulb. youll even hear that using MH the last week of flowering is a + in some sort of way, i just wouldnt do it my self.

Latest posts

Back