Questions About Soil Mix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoot1073

Reaction score
:cool: TODAY I WENT OUT AND GOT SOME HYPONEX SOIL, HOFFMAN SEED STARTER AND PRELITE. THE SOIL IS FORMULATED FROM ORGANIC MATERALS,PRIMARILY DEVIVED FROM HYPNUM PEAT FOREST PRODUCTS COMPOST SAND AND PERLITE.HOW'S THAT SOUND? THE HOFFMAN SEED STARTER HAS A COMBINATION OF CANADIAN SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS,VERMICLITE AND LIMESTONE(PH ADJUSTER)ALSO A WETTING AGENT.I MIXED 50% HYPONEX SOIL 25%HOFFMAN SEED STARTER AND 25%PERLITE. DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD COMBINATION OR WHAT?

check that that mix isn`t too hot for seedlings, MJ likes a slightly acidic medium(6.3-6.9 soil) but i steer away from peat based mixes as this tends to be hot man.
BTW, at that time in the morning peeps are sleeping:)

scoot1073 said:
:cool: TODAY I WENT OUT AND GOT SOME HYPONEX SOIL, HOFFMAN SEED STARTER AND PRELITE. THE SOIL IS FORMULATED FROM ORGANIC MATERALS,PRIMARILY DEVIVED FROM HYPNUM PEAT FOREST PRODUCTS COMPOST SAND AND PERLITE.HOW'S THAT SOUND? THE HOFFMAN SEED STARTER HAS A COMBINATION OF CANADIAN SPHAGNUM PEAT MOSS,VERMICLITE AND LIMESTONE(PH ADJUSTER)ALSO A WETTING AGENT.I MIXED 50% HYPONEX SOIL 25%HOFFMAN SEED STARTER AND 25%PERLITE. DO YOU THINK THIS IS A GOOD COMBINATION OR WHAT?
I tryed to use Hyponex along time ago.It is sand based,That soil will harden up on you,very bad.IMHO,find yourself a different soil.Hope this helps,keep it GREEN:hubba:

try sterile soil, then you have full control over what you give the ladies.

berserker said:
I tryed to use Hyponex along time ago.It is sand based,That soil will harden up on you,very bad.IMHO,find yourself a different soil.Hope this helps,keep it GREEN:hubba:

now i wish i woulda seen this before i planted mine in this hyponex soil i got goin now lol.

FYI everyone this dudes right this soil is junk and its almost half wood chips. and it hardens up on ya like said.
just bringin this bak up so none the new growers who lookin for soil idea go out an try savin a few bux like i did an get a bag this junk for couple bux was all.

I use a Sphagnum based mix, but cut it with a lot of diff additives. I use 50% sphagnum, 25% humus manure, 15% reused soil, 10 % perlite. I also add in worm castings, bat guano, and Dolimite Lime. As stated before though, I wouldnt use this mix on seedlings or cuttings, as it is pretty hot.

HippyInEngland said:
People try to cut corners and save money on soil.

All you do is end up throwing your money away.

Quality soil gives quality buds :)

Its just a PITA getting hold of it sometimes :eek:

:peace:

i totally see this now hippy.
but that is why im on the hunt now while i got time to spare an to get everythin i need that i dont have now.
like i said in beginnin of my grow that this is basically a grow to get me to understand everythin and to know first hand from EXP. wat i need an dont etc...
i'll tell ya wat tho. i wouldnt be focussing as much on gettin top notch right now if i hadnt beeen let down i some way by wat im growin wit now. and i would probably have down the road tried to settle for less if i went all out the first time. and been more angry then. lol
im just one of them people who has to see for himself before i learn
seein is believin for me. lol
and yes it is becomin a PITA tryin to find FF anywhere in my state.
monday im a get on the horn an start calling gardenin stores/centers/nurseries etc.. in the town im goin to next week an try to scout out some FFOF. if not then im gonna maybe give this a try
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=463193&postcount=4
i've read on this FF and this as well. this stuff is at lowes and reasonably priced. i aint tryin to be cheap either. just orderin online things is possible but a bigger PITA for me. but it seems to be almost similar or at least 100x better than wat igot now. but who knows
anyone have opinions on that stuff i posted link to? jus curious.

wat i was figuring was mixin perlite an vermiculite wit this soil mix in link above and get some lime to mix to buffer PH an for cal n mag?

epson salt for mag, but I wouldnt use this as an additive, only to correct a prob.Bonemeal for Cal.

Latest posts

Back