Questions about this sytem...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieG

Reaction score
http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/p...c=34&jssCart=0e6f913b51c02e58ed010615ffcc5515

Ok so... this system looks really easy to make, and it honestly looks like it would work really well. I was hoping some of you more advanced guys could give me a little bit of help with what I should include in my set up. I plan on growing ALL autoflowering plants, so I would like to add maybe 8 slots instead of 6 since the plants will be much much smaller. Second of all, I'm thinking of adding a drainage hose so taking the water out will be easy. Now my questions are, how do you feed the nutrients to the plants? do you just mix it into the water and the system takes care of teh rest, what about tests and stuff? do you have to lift the top off every single time you need to add pH balancer or n e thing like that? I dont have any experience in this field so im hoping some of you guys could explain it to me. Thanks.

I suggest you PM POTUS and kindly ask him if he would have a look at it for you and for his opinion on it. He's a hydro guru, so you wanna listen to what he has to say....

You should keep your first system simple, less to go wrong. You can make a dwc setup much easier. You don't need the feeder tubes. You mix the nutes with the water add a couple of airstones and keep the water at the bottom of the net cups until the roots hit the water. Then you can lower the water level some. The more stones and air pumps you add the more oxygen in the nutes. You can add another hole for checking levels, just keep it covered when you are not using it. You can add a drain hose or use a small pump and hose.

Nope, it's something you could make like Kasgrow says. Overpriced and their nutes are no good. Nothing wrong with the tote but you could make one for nothing, look at their directions, it's posted on the site. Look at the pictures of how to put it together...then tell me you would pay that much for it.

NewbieG said:

Ok so... this system looks really easy to make, and it honestly looks like it would work really well. I was hoping some of you more advanced guys could give me a little bit of help with what I should include in my set up. I plan on growing ALL autoflowering plants, so I would like to add maybe 8 slots instead of 6 since the plants will be much much smaller. Second of all, I'm thinking of adding a drainage hose so taking the water out will be easy. Now my questions are, how do you feed the nutrients to the plants? do you just mix it into the water and the system takes care of teh rest, what about tests and stuff? do you have to lift the top off every single time you need to add pH balancer or n e thing like that? I dont have any experience in this field so im hoping some of you guys could explain it to me. Thanks.​
:rolleyes:
For my 2 cents worth IMHO it looks good for the money and it will work for you...always mix first in separate container, pH-TDS test and add, keep it on the low side (slowly raising as time goes by), it's easier to up nutes etc than to lower and risk burning your plants...A drainage outlet allows you to change nutrient reservoir easily (as you should every 7-10 days) and is a great option, and practical. Yes, lift and check, there are ways to make it easier, yet they are harder :D a paradox of sorts but just lift the top and check, be part of the system and it will be good to you.

That crazy vancouver guy said:
I suggest you PM POTUS and kindly ask him if he would have a look at it for you and for his opinion on it. He's a hydro guru, so you wanna listen to what he has to say....

Thanks man, but a simple DWC setup like this doesn't need me.

There are about a hundred of the DWC growers currently on the group.

It's a bucket full of water with an air pump.

A bucket, an air pump, net basket and some hydroton.

The growing part of it is the hard part.

I actually priced the parts to see how much it would cost to make, and the difference between buying and building it myself is 30 bucks... It doesn't look complicated at all, but its 160 bucks... I think i might take your guys advice and go for some fox farms nutes or something like that since it would be the same price pretty much as going with the other nutes. It comes with an instructional video which I can watch to get the small details out of the way. I'm thinking of maybe 2 of these under a 400 watt MH/HPS I have will be good... I'm currently on my second soil grow with lowryder #2 and AK47 x blueberry, and they are just growing horribly slow, my first grow went much much better. I dont know if its the cheap soil i used this time vs the MG soil from last time, or that I started in 2 gallon containers to avoid having to transplant, but they are literally about 1/10th the size they should be... :/ Hopefully hydro can help me with these problems...

Redo your math, I can build one for 30.00 USD, first off the water pump and drip system aren't needed. Tote, air pump, airstone, netpots......

Which package are you looking at for sure, the nutes **** (granular nutes in a drip, pH up and down ****.....IMO it's a rip and I know cause i bought one way back. And no way you should ever put 6 seeds in a 10 gallon tote...wait till you flower and then you''l see.

snuggles said:
Redo your math, I can build one for 30.00 USD, first off the water pump and drip system aren't needed. Tote, air pump, airstone, netpots......

Which package are you looking at for sure, the nutes **** (granular nutes in a drip, pH up and down ****.....IMO it's a rip and I know cause i bought one way back. And no way you should ever put 6 seeds in a 10 gallon tote...wait till you flower and then you''l see.[/quote

I was just going to buy the parts from the site. I figured they gave me the idea so they should make some money. But one problem is how do you get the water pump to have 6 fittings. If you normally wouldn't suggest using 6 plants thats understandable, but I'm growing all autoflowering from now on and I think this system can handle 6 dwarfs... I have 40 seeds. 20 are in soil right now and I really do hope to get more seeds from this grow. So I should have 50+ autoflowering seeds in about 2 months. But If i can build this system for 30 bucks I might as well do it. I'll go to Home Depot today and pick up the pumps and see if I can find some of those net baskets. As for nutes, I want to use the best nutes for this system, which seem to be liquid nutes. I read that this system has trouble handling granulated or organic, but it doesn't really bother me n e. N e more advice is always appreciated!

you don't want to be using a granular fertilizer in your hydroponic system. go with hydroponics nutes... which are made for hydroponics. incidentally, I use hydroponics ferts in my soil grows.:D

ok so I took the time to do the break down, and I really don't think I could make this system cheaper myself. The 130 i would spend for parts includes everything! the nutes, the rockwool, the pumps etc, etc. Check it out... I still think it seems like a pretty decent deal when you look at what you get.

Air Pump- $16.00
Water Pump- $17.00
multihose system- $10.00
net cups- $4.00
drainage system- $10.00

Total cost of making bubblersystem: $57.00
They are selling it complete for $90!

I don't think I'll be able to find these quality parts for cheaper unless I source them online, which means ill end up paying the difference in shipping.

I do think that the water pump is needed, which if it wasn't would lower costs by about 30 bucks. But the water pump seems to take care of the roots for the first while until it can reach water level. From my understanding this dual system is better then not dealing with the water pump because you can't over water the roots? As far as other costs which ended up adding up. I was going to buy the nutes ($30), the hydrometer/thermometer ($10), rockwool ($5), rocks ($8), pH test kit ($8), pH control kit ($15)...

It seems decent to me?

Sure if you need all that stuff it's great. But from personal experience the drip is not needed even when they are young it's DWC. The nutes are worthless (they cause more problems than they fix) the pH up and Down is useless. That being said you need an airstone, airpump, netcups, medium, and some nutes not to mention the tote. That's not much, yes the drip is nice till the roots hit the water, this takes like a week once you seeds sprout, I'm honestly just trying to save you some money thats all.

I have the system, it was my first hydro grow, it was a nightmare from day 1 to say the least...good to see you are using an autoflower strain. Like A said he built one for under 20 easy....and I understand all the stuff that comes with it, nice if you need it, and some of it is pretty useless. And anyone who grows hydro will tell you a 10 gallon res in flower for even 4 plants is an everyday challenge to pH and top off correctly.

http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/section.php?xSec=28&jssCart=83e522aa7e81a74904da2e48c33fbe5d

Here's the six outlet manifold which is cool except you spend at least twice a day fixing it...and it's not even needed. Get it if you want but I know you're going to cringe when you see it and say I could have done this for cheaper....also my friend works for them so you would think I would be biased the other way around but it's not a good deal IMO. And I know you feel obligated to buy from them because they gave you the idea...but where do you think they got it from? Simple water, container, air stone(s), and air pump.

Do we have a few engineers in this crowd?

snuggles said:
Sure if you need all that stuff it's great. But from personal experience the drip is not needed even when they are young it's DWC. The nutes are worthless (they cause more problems than they fix) the pH up and Down is useless. That being said you need an airstone, airpump, netcups, medium, and some nutes not to mention the tote. That's not much, yes the drip is nice till the roots hit the water, this takes like a week once you seeds sprout, I'm honestly just trying to save you some money thats all.

I have the system, it was my first hydro grow, it was a nightmare from day 1 to say the least...good to see you are using an autoflower strain. Like A said he built one for under 20 easy....and I understand all the stuff that comes with it, nice if you need it, and some of it is pretty useless. And anyone who grows hydro will tell you a 10 gallon res in flower for even 4 plants is an everyday challenge to pH and top off correctly.

http://www.stealthhydroponics.com/section.php?xSec=28&jssCart=83e522aa7e81a74904da2e48c33fbe5d

Here's the six outlet manifold which is cool except you spend at least twice a day fixing it...and it's not even needed. Get it if you want but I know you're going to cringe when you see it and say I could have done this for cheaper....also my friend works for them so you would think I would be biased the other way around but it's not a good deal IMO. And I know you feel obligated to buy from them because they gave you the idea...but where do you think they got it from? Simple water, container, air stone(s), and air pump.

Well if you guys are saying I don't need the drip system i guess I'll let it go for now and try just using the other stuff. Now my question is... how the hell to I start this all off. Your saying don't use nutes, ok fine I'll let that go too. So basically from what I understand this is the process...

1. put seed in small rockwool and let sit till pops (now do I have to soak the rockwool, I'm assuming it has to be under light, do i put the rockwool in water or just soak and let grow?)

2. put rockwool into net cup and put the rocks in from here it will take about a week until the roots hit the water (how does the plant survive the week and how is it growing? its getting no water??)

3. once the roots hit the water just make sure the pH is in a good place and let grow. (So don't worry about nutes make sure water level stayes at right place and I'm good to go? This almost seems too easy?)

Is this right?? I'm going out to get the basic stuff I need right now, might have to order some parts from the sight, We'll see. Thanks again for all the help.

NewbieG said:
Well if you guys are saying I don't need the drip system i guess I'll let it go for now and try just using the other stuff. Now my question is... how the hell to I start this all off. Your saying don't use nutes, ok fine I'll let that go too. So basically from what I understand this is the process...

1. put seed in small rockwool and let sit till pops (now do I have to soak the rockwool, I'm assuming it has to be under light, do i put the rockwool in water or just soak and let grow?)

2. put rockwool into net cup and put the rocks in from here it will take about a week until the roots hit the water (how does the plant survive the week and how is it growing? its getting no water??)

3. once the roots hit the water just make sure the pH is in a good place and let grow. (So don't worry about nutes make sure water level stayes at right place and I'm good to go? This almost seems too easy?)

Is this right?? I'm going out to get the basic stuff I need right now, might have to order some parts from the sight, We'll see. Thanks again for all the help.

Hi .
Basics - No you want to use the paper towel method to germinate, you should read up on it but basically, triple fold or so some paper towels, soak in distilled water. Place seeds on top and cover with a couple more soaked paper towels. Do this on a plate or container you can cover...put in a dark warm place and check every 12 hours to see when they sprout ...do not let them dry out...spray mist them... As they sprout place them in rockwool cubes (tap root down) that you already have presoaked and have a pH of 5.5-5.8 is good. Place in your system. Now under the lights they go, 24hr continuous is the best but no less than 18/6. Stay there for veg and read up...you've got to study and figure this out too. Read and examine this forum... there's a lot to learn but it's all here.

PS. For the money go with the system and you don't have to worry, it's not hundreds your saving by building it yourself...ya you can save some but hey, it's done...right? & Get a pH and TDS meter...

Latest posts

Back