Random Thought Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought airplanes need lift , not thrust?

if the belt and wheels are moving at the same speed , there is no lift , no?
Thrust provides forward motion which gives the airfoil the pressure differential that provides lift. The air that the thrust is pushing against and providing lift are independent of the conveyor belt/wheel coordinate system.

ok I’m going to bed and probably dream about thrust and motion thanx Fogey. ✌️goodnight y’all
IMG_1633.gif

I guess the plane/conveyor belt thought exercise is an on-going argument. I had never heard it(and I am bothered by that - I like thought experiments). The Mythbusters, with Madam and Gayme, irritate me to no end and I can see some issues with the design of their experimental conditions but I think they do a relatively good job of busting the ‘plane won’t take off’ argument.

I use to work at the DFW airport when i was a young man. I drove the truck that loads the beverages and food. I walked up under a 747 one time. It's like being under a huge flying bridge. It's amazing the bastard can get off the ground. So if that big fucker hits a building going over 500mph. Im guessing it can do some pretty extensive damage.

The top speed of a Boeing 747 is about 570 mph, but it can vary depending on the model and the wind conditions. For example, the 747-400 can reach a maximum speed of 656 mph. However, the actual speed of a 747 in flight is also affected by the speed of the jet stream, which can boost or reduce the plane's velocity.

True, but backwards. The wings don't have to move through the air. The air has to move under the wings. Small planes must be tethered in a wind storm or they'll be gone. Nose into the wind, they'll go up, albeit not for long 'cause they'll crash unmanned.
True. But wheels turning have no lift.

Latest posts

Back