red and blue t5 lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggydabomb

biggrow
Reaction score
i have recently purchased a 8 bulb 4 foot T5 fixture which has 5 red bulbs and 3 blue bulbs i am wondering if using the 5 red bulbs is a waiste for the veg cycle or do i need to have all 8 blue? i dont have much cash right now to buy more blue bulbs as i have already spent close to 1,000 on this project can i remain vegging them with a majority of the lights being red?? before i bought the fixture i had them under regular flouro's and they were doing wonderfull the day i moved them under the t5's the smaller yougner ones leaves became saggy and "claw" looking some of the leaves have also turned yellow.. i have not used any nutes yet because the soil is still fresh. i had the light relatively close to the canopy i have read you are suppossed to put them within 12 inches of the canopy is it possible switching them to such a higher light source so quick did this to my leaves?? i since have raised the fixture to about 2 feet and it appears no more damage has been done but the ones that where affected are still looking very sad if it was the light with the leaves perk back up?? its been almost 5 days now it also seems as if the growth of the other ones has slowed down as well....maybe im just paranoid but can someone please let me know about the red bulbs and if it was possible to shock them with light increasements? thanks in advance

Does the soil have any nutrients in it? If not they prob need a little chemical or organic love juice. The T5's can be kept very close to the plants. So I doubt it's the light that hurt them. I have had rooted cuttings 2 weeks old under 2k MH. As far as the red bulbs go, yes blue is better, but if you don't have the cash it doesn't matter. Go with what you got. Some ppl use HPS all the way thru. Hope that helps. You have a pest regime in the works?

the soil i bought said it had a 3 month supply of plant food in it, didnt know i would have to add nutrients so early since they are only about a month old...i have used pesticide and im almost positive that isnt the problem i inspected them very closely for signs of bugs could switching the light on them throw them in shock? Or cause them to curl under?

diggydabomb said:
i have recently purchased a 8 bulb 4 foot T5 fixture which has 5 red bulbs and 3 blue bulbs i am wondering if using the 5 red bulbs is a waiste for the veg cycle or do i need to have all 8 blue? i dont have much cash right now to buy more blue bulbs as i have already spent close to 1,000 on this project can i remain vegging them with a majority of the lights being red?? before i bought the fixture i had them under regular flouro's and they were doing wonderfull the day i moved them under the t5's the smaller yougner ones leaves became saggy and "claw" looking some of the leaves have also turned yellow.. i have not used any nutes yet because the soil is still fresh. i had the light relatively close to the canopy i have read you are suppossed to put them within 12 inches of the canopy is it possible switching them to such a higher light source so quick did this to my leaves?? i since have raised the fixture to about 2 feet and it appears no more damage has been done but the ones that where affected are still looking very sad if it was the light with the leaves perk back up?? its been almost 5 days now it also seems as if the growth of the other ones has slowed down as well....maybe im just paranoid but can someone please let me know about the red bulbs and if it was possible to shock them with light increasements? thanks in advance

I don't think this has anything to do with your lights. It is okay to use a mix of red and blue lights for veg. If your plants are 2' away, they are getting hardly any light. I kieep my T5 within inches of the canopy.

How old are your plants?
What kind of soil are they in?
How big are the containers?
How often are you watering them?
What is the source of your water?
What are the ppms and pH of your water?

Pictures would really help.

diggydabomb said:
the soil i bought said it had a 3 month supply of plant food in it, didnt know i would have to add nutrients so early since they are only about a month old...i have used pesticide and im almost positive that isnt the problem i inspected them very closely for signs of bugs could switching the light on them throw them in shock? Or cause them to curl under?

Your soil is almost certainly at least part of your problem. You should never use a pre-nuted soil for marijuana. They need no nutes at all for the first 3-4 weeks. They probably have serious nute burn and it gets worse every time you water them.

The use of a pesticide is probably also affecting your plant adversely. What exactly did you give it and why?

She is correct. I know cash is tight, but we/you need to know your PH. Your meter could also tell you if they are being crippled by over nuting. It's not your lights. I use hardcore miticide so that is prob not it either.

i have some younger plants that are almost 3 weeks old and some older plants a little over a month and starting to show signs of sex i have the older ones in 3 gallon containers the younger ones i still have in party cups (awaiting more money for more containers) i water them usually every 5-6 days depending on the touch of the soil and my ph is right around 6.1 i use tap water but alow it to sit out to get rid of chlorine and things like that i am using fox farm soil the guy at the store said it had enough nutrients in it i shouldnt need anything untill flowering the younger ones still in the cups are what are seeming to be affected i also noticed a weird spot on my older plant im attatching some pics but my camera isnt the best i am also keeping the temperature right around 75 and 60 percent humidity with a fan to circulate air and the insectiside i used was recommended by the lady that works there i didnt have any pre-existing issues just used it as a pre caution

Raise your PH a little. I have been in the 6.8-7 and they are happy, but I am sure every strain is different. Sounds like your good. FF soil is great, I don't use it for me, maybe because I would pay 100's in soil for my grow, let alone everything else. What do you use to test the PH? If they are 3 weeks
plus, it's about time to start looking into nutrients, whatcha gonna go with?

havnt decided what nutrients im gonna go with, figured the people at the grow store could point me in the right direction....got any idea's? ill up the ph and see if that helps....if it does help will i only notice a difference in new growth?? or will the deformend leaves perk back up?? any ideas on what the brown spot could be on the large leaf? the lead is beggining to dry out and crumble

im not so concerned with the babies as it was basically my first try and im trying to figure out what happened to prevent it from happening again i have way to many plants to flower them under the same light basically grew a bunch so i could keep the best and dispose of the rest i have 35 total i also just ordered some really good seeds from attitude....anyone had good luck ordering from them in the U.S.?

alot of people here use the Attitude with great success

You using Dolomite lime? If not go to the Depot, Lily Millers Soil Sweet. Like $8 or close. I do 2tb per gal in veg and 3tb in flower, applied at the start o both phases. It will give you a buffer and raise your PH. As far as nutes, I use Fox Farm full line, 1/2 strength and feed every watering. But start out 1/4 dose and work your way up. There are so many lines of nutes, GL on choosing.

PS, I know it's alot up front for nutes, but buyin in bulk will save alot of $$$.

Latest posts

Back