Roots coming out the bottom...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Six

Perfect smile..chronic...
Reaction score
Ok, heres a new one for me...i have a new prospect in the flower room, shes been in there for aprox 2 weeks...i grow in FFOF and now i have roots about 12" long coming out of the bottom of one of the pots...should i trim this off?..it is going to end up getting busted off anyways because the saucers on the bottom twist lock on....:confused2:

this is an easy one,dont cut them you need to up size your contaners,in hydroponics the roots are exposed to the inside of the res,in airoponics,roots are exsposed to the outside air and misted with nute h2o,so just get a bigger pot,you are doing something right,sounds like you have a great root system,you don't want root bound plants at this stage

Bigger pots? shes only a foot tall and i just put her into this 3 gallon when she moved to the flower room...so shes only been in the bigger pot for a couple of weeks...hmmm...

Hello Six :)

Lift her out the pot, put stones or broken crockery in the bottom of the pot then an inch of new soil then put her back in, it will make her roots search sideways and not down.

At the moment she is getting no resistance to root growth so is putting her roots down only.

:peace:

totally agree,sometimes this plant does odd things,that is one of the best parts of growing it,size does matter when growing this plant,some strains more then others,I am flowering afgan/morrocan now in day 14 12/12,sativa dom,I also had just sized them up when I moved them to the flower room,this am I had roots coming out the top,so you see in 14 days they root bounded themselves,or should I say roots took the least path of resistence and grew up,thanks for the thread,always something new

yes, i find that if i dont put stone (or the like) in the bottom of my outdoor buckets, the roots come out the bottom holes and root to mother earth... annoying...

edit: plus the stone at bottom creates voids for O2 to get to roots. :)

it has about 2 inches of perlite in the bottom...guess i will have to add something different in the future...thought the perlite would discourage them...

I use lava rock from Home Despot--I wash the crap out of it, soak it in a little anti-mold bleach water then let it dry. I don't know that the lava rock is any better than straight pebbles but it does have a lot of surface area with all the bubble holes.

Reactions: Six

Latest posts

Back