Roots Growing from the TOPS???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superballs

Reaction score
Ok, So I have a friend that says he used to let a potted sativa plant outside get 4 to 5 ft tall and then bend the stalk over into a rainbow and bury the top in another pot of soil and it would take root and grow another stalk out and he would do the same until he had it arching out of 3-5 different pots!!! The benefits being a much higher yield and keeping it low. Anyone here of anything like this??? Or do you think its even possible? :confused:

I doubt it, but I don't count anything out when it comes to MJ :) Even if it did work there is no way this would be as beneficial or as smart as simply taking one plant, taking a bunch of clones, and growing them individually. You could take one very large plant, and take 100 clones, and a month later have 100 plants. Bending one plant over and over to grow out of multiple pots, even if it did work, would take you literally years to produce what taking multiple clones from a plant at one time could do in a few months.

I was asking about cloning from the top in a different thread and I learned that hormone levels in the plant make it easier for clones taken near the bottom of the plant to produce roots and grow, clones taken from the top are more difficult, check it out:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=478616#post478616

Hey NYC, Thanks for the input, Yea I'm not really interested in trying it...it just piqued my curiousity as to wether it is possible. Cloning is definetely by far more efficient. But thanks though that is a great article

Although to make a circle out of the method I was talking about would definetely bring alot of cool gardening/landscaping ideas.

Blackberries have been spreading like that for many centuries, all by themselves.

HOWEVER--if you live in an area where laws are limited to a small number of plants....don't know if it would hold up in court, but it would be amusing to show a judge..."your honor, i know i was charged with growing 84 plants, but i can prove that there were only six plants in that garden."

i'd be interested to see this--somebody should try it!!!

Cannabiscotti said:
HOWEVER--if you live in an area where laws are limited to a small number of plants....don't know if it would hold up in court, but it would be amusing to show a judge..."your honor, i know i was charged with growing 84 plants, but i can prove that there were only six plants in that garden."

i'd be interested to see this--somebody should try it!!!

That would be hilarious, get arrested for having like 100 plants in your back yard and when the cops come to take them they realize it is really just one ridiculous pot vine that covers 100 square feet, haha. How awesome would it be if pot was a perennial instead of an annual? Imagine you could just have one plant flowering all year long and just pick new buds from it whenever you wanted.

hey wats uppi dont think that it re rooted from the top, how would it possably do that i mean theirs lst'ing,he prob did that. idk i just really cant see it happining eATHER.but w.e idk the tittle interested me lololHAHAAHAHA

I think it would be possible. True enough what was said about cloning from the bottom to be easier but if you buried a branch tip with some rooting supplement I think it would either kill the branch or it would have to root.

It'd be like a banyan tree, super cool, try it and see for us please

I think it would root.If 1 of my babies s t r e t c h 4 the light ,when I re-pot I burry the plant deeper in the next pot and have found out that roots shoot from what was the lower stem.I also enjoy "toppin" my gals right before 12/12.It takes a few more dayz(2 clone),but with the benifit of "muli"heads from the gate!
With these known elements,there is no doubt in my mind,this Will work.But my question is why?

Interesting.
I got a feeling it would root but doesnt sound like something i'd do.

I think tops can make good cuttings, my smallest one in my mini section is a head off my mother, rooted no problem :)
I usually cut from bottom

Technically speaking you can do that no problem at all and cannabis has been known to break branches that point down,root and continue growing.There's a bit about it in RCC's Marijuana Botany.

Plant stems when buried,ie,denied light, actually undergo cellular changes in that the cells in the plant walls change into rooting cells and produce roots.

You know what, I am going to try it with my smaller plant...if its not a boy that is. I know I probably wont benefit too much from it really...and probably slow it's production down??? But I just gotta see it and share with you all the outcome. Kind of an experiment.

Latest posts

Back