Setup critique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isoman234

Reaction score
Ok so I was thinking about getting a 23.5" x 23.5" x 55" Secret Jardin . I wanted to put a 250 watt hps/mh light with a built in ballast(I'm not sure how well these worked but it seemed like a good idea to me) and I was looking at a 170 cfm fan with an attached carbon filter but I wasn't sure if this would be enough since I'm sure that carbon filter will eat up plenty of that air flow. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers and tell me if the fan will be enough. Also I want to know if the 250 watt light will make that room too hot with out having a vent fan hooked directly to the hood?

Thanks I appreciate any help

isoman234 said:
Ok so I was thinking about getting a 23.5" x 23.5" x 55" Secret Jardin . I wanted to put a 250 watt hps/mh light with a built in ballast(I'm not sure how well these worked but it seemed like a good idea to me) and I was looking at a 170 cfm fan with an attached carbon filter but I wasn't sure if this would be enough since I'm sure that carbon filter will eat up plenty of that air flow. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers and tell me if the fan will be enough. Also I want to know if the 250 watt light will make that room too hot with out having a vent fan hooked directly to the hood?

Thanks I appreciate any help

Well to start man I think the 250 hps will do just fine, I cant say much for the built in ballast, I remove mine and built my own hood, with the ballast seperate outside the tent and I attached the fan and exhaust etc...to the hood. Now with your light it may be fine not sure what you have, but as long as you have good air circulation and exhaust you should be ok. As for the 170 cfm fan I would bump that up to maybe a 250cfm, it will help temps the more cfm you pull. Best of luck, like to see you fire it up and test run.

So your Secret Garden is roughly 2 feet by 2 feet by 4.5 feet high?

That would mean the volume of the grow space is 18 cubic feet.

A fan doing 170 cubic feet per minute would exchange the air in your grow box over 9 times a minute. That is more, way more than enough air flow. If you have an air intake hole near the base of the box, and the carbon filter exhaust fan hooked up near the light at the top you should be fine with termperature. You will be surprsied how little the carbon filter slows down the airflow.

SensiStarFan said:
So your Secret Garden is roughly 2 feet by 2 feet by 4.5 feet high?

That would mean the volume of the grow space is 18 cubic feet.

A fan doing 170 cubic feet per minute would exchange the air in your grow box over 9 times a minute. That is more, way more than enough air flow. If you have an air intake hole near the base of the box, and the carbon filter exhaust fan hooked up near the light at the top you should be fine with termperature. You will be surprsied how little the carbon filter slows down the airflow.

or that, good post, I was thinking if he needed to exhaust more hot air a better cfm rating would help.

Latest posts

Back