Sexing Cuttings Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom-tom

Reaction score
ok i took a cutting from a few of the plants i want to find out if they are male our female,,,so if i take these cuttings and just keep them in the dark will they show sex and what is the time frame im lookin at ??and is it ok to leave them in the dark all the time our do i need to give them some light 2??

any one no id like to find out /????

hey tom i was under the impression that you had to root a cutting and then start flower on it before you would know the sex but you may be able to just stick it under 12/12 and find out. i usually take a couple of cuttings off of each plant that i grow from seed and put those in to root and once i see roots starting i stick the plant in to flower and find out what cuttings i want to keep (keep the fems and dump the dudes) then i just root-em-up and vegg them out again, while leaving the mother plant in to flower, once shes done her clones are about a foot or so tall and its about time to start thinking of flowering them too.

Growdude said:
Ive just taken the cutting and put it into 12/12 it can show sex even before it roots.[/quote

Dude for a newbie if I were to take a clone of all of my new seedlings I could start to root them.... then put them in 12-12 and I would be able to sex all of them, is this what I understand you are saying? Thanks in advance.

Dude for a newbie if I were to take a cutting of all of my new seedlings I could start to root them.... then put them in 12-12 and I would be able to sex all of them, is this what I understand you are saying? Thanks in advance.
(a cutting becomes a clone once it roots)

Your understanding is correct :)
Just make sure your new seedlings are big and healthy enough to take cuttings from.
Oh, and make sure you label the cuttings to know which plant they came from. :p

GrowDude, when you check sex like that, do you just put them in a cup of water?

:)

thats the answer i was hopein for the one from grow dude ,,thank u everyone

King Bud said:
(a cutting becomes a clone once it roots)

Your understanding is correct :)
Just make sure your new seedlings are big and healthy enough to take cuttings from.
Oh, and make sure you label the cuttings to know which plant they came from. :p

GrowDude, when you check sex like that, do you just put them in a cup of water?

:)

I use rockwool, but some people say a cup-o-water method works.
I would do whatever cloneing method works for you.
Just put straight into 12/12 and in 2-3 weeks you should be able to tell.

Latest posts

Back