Sexing help? (Pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent45

Reaction score
Sooooo been trying to figure the sex out. Just put her on 18/6 to help the process. Here are some better quality pics for you guys to gander at. Looking like a female to me put I cannot say for sure

P1010674.JPG

P1010663.JPG

P1010676.JPG

to sex her you will need to put her on 12/12

well i cannot see any balls ,,,but no hairs either
green mojofor a girly :48:

I can't really tell from the pics.

But you don't have to put your plants on 12/12 to sex them. It will take longer, but you can sex the plants with them on 24/0. How long have you had them vegging?

if your trying too determine sex put them on a 12/12 cycle,their is no evidence in those pics too say what they are yet :)

If you don't want to put the whole plant into 12/12 you can put a brown paper bag over one of the branches to block out some of the light and then only that branch will show sex. I've never done this personally but i've read about several people doing here on this site.

hmm would be interesting too see if that works....biologically speaking i guess it could

solarz said:
I can't really tell from the pics.

But you don't have to put your plants on 12/12 to sex them. It will take longer, but you can sex the plants with them on 24/0. How long have you had them vegging?

Although some strains will begin to flower under 18/6 or 24/0 it is still best to flower under 12/12 to allow for the plant to produce the hormone that will induce flowering. Remember the reduction in light cycle and lengthening of the dark cycle will signal to the plant that fall is approaching and it must reproduce soon. Typically your males are taller and show signs of sex earlier than females with some late male bloomers.

Yeah, I have cut the light back to 18/6, and took a clone from the smaller plant, not the one shown in pics. I am going to go ahead and try out the paper bag method and see what happens.

I was jst curious on opinions, I wasn't seeing any ablls but I am starting to see hwta could be pistils, it's just that I can't reproduce what I am seeing through the magnifying glass to he camera.

Sooooo my plants went into dark about an hour ago, I couldn't see a paperbag keeping out that much wattage so I made a bag type thing out of aluminum foil. Lights come back on at 6 am, and the makeshift bag comes off at 12 noon. We'll see what happens :)

if your using MH or HPS just be careful with heat from the aluminum foil. My buddy said he used a brown bag like you would get groceries in, not the type you would pack a lunch in. Either way let us know how it works out for you.

I'm using CFL's for veg so it's no biggy. I just didn't think it would get much dark from just a paper bag and so much light. So foil it was.

ur better off wrapping one of the branches in a black plastic bag
so that that specific branch gets less than 12 hours of light and it'll show the sex

a plant will flower at 18/6, only if u had the light at 24/0. its the reduction in light that will make it flower, i had a male an a female plant flower in the same time of 3 days at 18/6 an where 3 weeks old. an in 24/0 then reduced in 18/6.

Thank you my friend, thanks for sharing

ya know...we always took a clone and put it under a regular house lamp 12/12 and you can even just put it in water with root tone and it'll show sex...just my oppinion though but i do that for outdoors.

Dewayne

That's what I am doing, so we will see. I am not used to having to worry about sex, I just get my clones come outdoor season and go. Now I gotta make em :p

Wiseguy_Chef said:
a plant will flower at 18/6, only if u had the light at 24/0. its the reduction in light that will make it flower, i had a male an a female plant flower in the same time of 3 days at 18/6 an where 3 weeks old. an in 24/0 then reduced in 18/6.
....not true, not true at'all..
a reduction i light hours has nothing to do with sexual maturity. MJ will show sex/preflowers under 24/0, 'once sexually mature'.
You 'can' speed the process along by cutting light to under 14 hours, where the florigen is out producing the anti-florigen.

Wiseguy_Chef said:

:confused: ^^what?

I understand what you are saying...but what i'm trying to do is not give the guy false information, and make him believe that ONLY reducing the light cycle to 12/12 will show the plants sex. Regardless of what the light cycle is, the plant will show sex when it's sexually mature. Look at it this way...when you start a seed on 12/12 it will only show sex when its mature enough to do so. Going by your logic...if you start a seed on 12/12 it would automatically sho sex...fromn the jump. And he's not talking about flowering the plant...he's just looking to sex the plants. So to the original poster...it all determines on how long the plant has been growing to determine (regardless of the light cycle) the sex of the plant.

newgreenthumb said:
Although some strains will begin to flower under 18/6 or 24/0 it is still best to flower under 12/12 to allow for the plant to produce the hormone that will induce flowering. Remember the reduction in light cycle and lengthening of the dark cycle will signal to the plant that fall is approaching and it must reproduce soon. Typically your males are taller and show signs of sex earlier than females with some late male bloomers.

It was my understanding that MJ flowers when enough of a specific hormone builds up, which it only produces during the dark period. Now the genetics may vary on how much of the hormone is neccessary for the plant to flower and thus show sex. The introduction of the strain cannabis Ruderalis (autos) to breeders has changed these rules somewhat, but excluding the autos, isnt the hormone (cant think of it's name) the primary determining factor in when a plant goes to flowering and shows sex?

Latest posts

Back