Should I bend?/ cut leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmann

Reaction score
Ok so one of my plants is getting close the top its only the 3rd week of flowering. The thing is its not under light directly. (Look at the 1st picture) So if it keepsgrowing, won't it just start growing outward instead of up when it reaches the top? And it won't burn because its not under light directly. So theirs no need to bend right. But i also heard you shouldn't stress theplant out at all when the lights are off. If the plant reaches the top and starts growing outwards is that going to stress the plant out if its goin on when the lights are off?

Ok now Question two. My setup is getting crowded. (See Picture 2) Especially with the plant thats about to hit the top. Some of the leaves are blocking lights from getting to the bottom. Should I cut these leaves? I heard you need the leaves because the plant is using energy from the leaves. Any advice? And if you say cut the leaves I shouldn't cut all the extra leaves should I?

Thanxs for the help

Can't upload pictures too big I guess

Getting Close to top.jpg

SHould I cut leaves getting crowded.jpg

Hello Jmann :)

Cut nothing.

Bend if you have to.

Are you trying to upload your pictures or link to another site?

I dont understand what you mean when your say 'top'

:peace:

The pictures are on my computer their just too big. I dont feel like dl the program to resize them

ANyway The plant can bend like yours. The thign is its not going driectly under light. theris 400 watt light space antoher 400 watt light. The plants thats goin to hit the top is right under the space. So it won't burn if it reaches the top. Shoudl Is still bend it?

Open in paint and resize down 50%

Do you know how?

I find paint much quicker than the link 4u2 gave, just a personal thing I guess.

yes bend it...are these still in veg...cuzz they will stretch when ya flip to flower cycle...and will hit light for sure...if in veg still why not top and make clones..just my thaughts

HippyInEngland said:

Do you know how?

I find paint much quicker than the link 4u2 gave, just a personal thing I guess.

you dont use piccasa to resize? i do use paint for changeing ...you taught me that one..thanks Hippy...Im a learn a lot fallowing ya around today:aok: here take a break:48: you diserve one

HippyInEngland said:

Do you know how?

Just did it. It was very quick thanks!

And to the other guy No its not in VEG its in the 3rd week of flowering.
thanxs for any help

I would just tie her down a bit or bend her at the tallest point it will allow more light in harder to reach places giving you a better yield.

Your plants are stretching because they are not getting enough light.

They need bending and a light needs to be above them.

You say 400w light space, what does that mean?

Where are you getting 400w from?

Flourescent lighting?

Jmann,

It seems to me like you have 2 different issues.

One yuo may be approaching light starvation on the lower part of your plants. Some people advise trimming away the lower foliage and not worrying about it.

Others say to trim out the big fan leaves. Still others say to tie the plant so that they open up in the middle and let more light down through the top. I personally like the idea of using side lighting.

Then you have the second problem of a plant that is getting too tall ofr your grow room. Now is not the best time to be worrying about it. Next time try to avoid this before it happens by LST training (bending) or topping before it gets that tall. Another choice is to use a product called BUSHMASTER by Emerald Triangle just before it gets to the height you want it to stop at. Both of the last 2 will also cause branching out in the lower part of the plant if done early.

At the point yoiu are at now, about the only thing you can do about the one being too tall is to try bending it -- but be careful how much pressure you apply because the stem can be looking like it is just bending and then suddenly crimp or even completely break.

Keep a close ey on the other plants and keepthem from getting this far out of control.

Good luck.

DonJones said:
Jmann,

One yuo may be approaching light starvation on the lower part of your plants. Some people advise trimming away the lower foliage and not worrying about it.

Others say to trim out the big fan leaves. Still others say to tie the plant so that they open up in the middle and let more light down through the top. I personally like the idea of using side lighting.

Good luck.

I do have lights on the bottem but their not too strong. If I was to trim the big fan leaves would this take away from the yield or potecy? I heard the plant need those leaves because it uses energry. When you say trim does that mean like 25% or 50% of the big fan leaves?

And if you look at the picture the plant is not going to grow into the lights do I still bend?

thanks

Yo Ho Jmann,

The rule of thumb is to prune no later than 21 days after you have flipped to 12/12. Most folks will agree that this has a real disadvantage if you prune beyond that time mark.
Remember that you are stressing your ladies when you do this, and you can risk hermie, and that is just a down right bummer. Sad notes if this happens you know ??

Hippy is correct, bend if you have too, but gently, easy does it. I take a couple of days to complete a bend if need be. Just don't cut away the top.

Another thing hippy mentioned is that you might be stretching for the light. A certain amount of growth (veg) will continue even though you have flipped. You might need to be using your math when you calculate the distance the plants can grow up, and then at the right time you flip, the girls will continue to grow up, but then you will have compensated for this.

You can help light to get down into the plants further by leaning them outwards from each other, I like to use a thick kite string, same kind I use when tying meats for cooking.

This is where we were told that someday math would save our lives. LOL

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:cool:

Jmann said:
I do have lights on the bottem but their not too strong. If I was to trim the big fan leaves would this take away from the yield or potecy? I heard the plant need those leaves because it uses energry. When you say trim does that mean like 25% or 50% of the big fan leaves?

And if you look at the picture the plant is not going to grow into the lights do I still bend?

thanks

What do you mean that you have lights on the bottom? You plants seem to be stretching--meaning the light is inadequate or too far away. What does this mean? "..theris 400 watt light space antoher 400 watt light..."?

Do not trim any of the big fan leaves.
This will take away from both yield and potency. Bend the plants like everyone has recommended.

Latest posts

Back