SoCal Deserts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GanjaGuru

Reaction score
Southern California is a great place to live if you stay out of the population centers.
Because you have soo many environments. Take L.A. for example.
In most parts of L.A. you can be at the beach, the mountains or the desert in less than 90 minutes from your house.
Of couse, being a guerilla grower I spent a lot of time in the mountains.
But I always found time to spend a coupla nights a year in the desert; the Anzo-Borrego and Mojave were my 2 fave's.
Deserts are superb places for star gazing. No tree's to get in the way, no nearby city light pollution.
Do you know that on a moonless night, you can walk around in the desert like on a dirt road by starlight alone? No flashlight needed.
And on a full moon you can manuever among cacti by moonlight.

A lot of people are too impatient. They'll poke their head out the door and say "Whoa too dark" and grab a flashlight. And using a flashlight means your eyes will never adjust to the darkness.
But if you go outside and give your eyes 5--10 minutes to fullly adjust, you can usually get around.
Where it's really dark is like under tree's; it can be pitch dark there.
Btw, it's NOT a good idea to walk around too much in the desert or woods without a flashlight, especially on warm nights, because that's when rattlesnakes are active.

My favorite time in the desert was circa '98. In was in the spring so the cacti were in bloom, and there was a full moon that night.
There were about 20 of us.
We hiked around in the daytime, visiting several oasis', then headed on over to camp by the mysterious mud caves.
Most of us dropped acid or shrooms and we were treated to a once-in-a-lifetime sight.
That was the night that the Hale-Bopp coment was most visible. The moon didn't rise until midnight, and so we got a breathtaking view of the comet before the moon rose. We could see both tails. It was quite amazing.
One amusing sidelight:
Me and my close friends (evenly divided sex-wise) like to be naked outside.
So we found the furthest-away-from-others camping area and stripped down.
So we're all frolicking around playing frisbee and hacky-sack bare-ass on drugs that afternoon, and who comes hiking by but a troop of boy scouts. They were about 10--12 y.o. and it was probably the first time they'd ever seen a grown woman naked that they weren't related to. I bet the memory of Suzi, Sherri, Karen, Sally, Marina, Paula and Beth fueled their pre-pubescent fantasies for awhile.

That's good stuff. I spend a lot of time in Anza-borrego area, along with ocotillo, this time a year is a bit rough though. Those mud caves are something aren't they? We were out that way a few months ago.

Latest posts

Back