Soil Mites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon Bob

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success at killing off soil mites? I'm at my wits end with these little buggers... they even get into my tubing & manage to survive there?!? Would like to take a pic to show, but they are so very small... just looks like lice on my pots... can't focus in on the buggers. Sorry about this. Thank you in advance.

Hello dude.
Not too up on this stuff.
I have just had gnats in my coco but they where larvae.
I used hxxp://www.canadianxpress.com/nilnat.html
Was warned to be careful as its strong stuff but found i had to use it at 6 drops to 500ml water, once a day for three days to completely kill em off as they came back first time.

Hope that helps

Thank you NB! I will give this a try. Don't need to get into the whole story, but I am willing to try anything at this point. Oddly, they do nothing to the plants/roots that I can determine. Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate the response. best regards!

if they dont seem to be doing any harm, are you sure they are mites?

without a pic they could be anything, possibly something harmless like springtails

Thats what i was just wondering cos gnats will devestate a plant given the chance, they eat the roots so you carn't say they doing no damage :)

Thank you everyone... appreciate the responses. I'll delve a little deeper with info...

I'm in coir & pretty confident I've traced the source to 2 bags of cococan croutons I got almost a year ago. Got at least 3 types of mites, though it may have been 5 or 6, springtails & 1 type of nematode. The reason I think the ccc croutons is that the nematodes were found under the bark of one of the chunks. Went downstairs to look up & 10 minutes later they were dried up & dead. THe ccc had moisture trapped in the bag. Upstairs, very careful with filters, never had a bug (still don't except my soil mites).

Definitely not springtails as had them too. These are maybe 1/4 the size of a springtail... so you can see why I'm having prob's w the pics... just can't focus in that small. I use a 25x microscope to see them w any definition. Definitely a mite... possibly a gamasid...?

They breed in the soil & seem to need moisture to stay alive. The only time they crawl on the plants is in search of new food/territory, but just die on the plants or crawl back into the soil. The rims of the pots look like tiny little freeways jammed with white cars...lol, funny. This is w the pops just blow up.

I tried the DE, but they're in the soil. I tried even mixing DE in a drench, but clumps up near the top, kinda like lime does. Thought the DE needed to be dry to be effective, but gave it a shot anyway. I can't tell if the DE barrier did anything as would find the dead bodies in other areas. ****, they live in my pipes now.

I killed them all except this one variety... a year later... sigh. Guess I should be laughing...?

Latest posts

Back