soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
I live in the United States...anyone recommend a good soil to start with?

A fairly easy soil mix is mericle grow soil that feeds up to 3 months and mix that with the same amount of peat moss and a bag of perlite. Holds water well and you wont need to add any nutes for the first few months.

Not to take anything away from what anyone might post on here,But as a begginner,IMHO you should stay away from mirical grow(FOR NOW)That soil could have so many things go wrong with the grow.Plus it is really hot for seddlings.Start with a good soil with NO nutes in it then after acouple weeks and the plant starts to establish itself,then add your nutes,But this my opinion when it all comes down to it,its really up to you,good luck on your grow:farm:

mine have all started in MG and i had no problems till repotting into different soil :(

miracle grow has a soil for starting seeds. I use that in small starter pots. When they develop good roots I transplant into 1 gallon pots filled with fox farms ocean harvest soil. Then later into larger pots. My plants are a beautiful dark green with no burning and fast growth. You won't need extra nutes for a while. I have nirvana and dj shorts seeds growing like that and they look great.

If you are in the states, I would use Fox Farm products. A little more expensive, but worth its weight in gold. Most growers will agree. I live in Canada, and FF has been cut off from us unfortunately. I personally use peat moss with vermiculite and perlite, nice and fluffy. I add some organic food to the mix, bat guano, bloodmeal, bonemeal, and worm castings. You don't need to use all them nutes if you don't want to. But it works really well, and I hardly have to give my plants any extra nutes. CH

YUP YUP fox farm all the way... can't go wrong with ocean forest fox farm... and some techna flora series of hydro nutes...

So do I have to start with small pots or can I just start with big pots so I don't have to transplant?

don`t see anything wrong with starting in big pots other than space, which will require more light to fill it.:smoke1: :48: :smoke1:

If you don't want to spend $20 for a bag of dirt go with MG organic potting mix or black gold. You can add worm castings or any other additives you need yourself. FF might be great soil but when you add the cost of shipping in it's way too expensive when you could make your own mix.

I like useing small pots to begin with.
1. Soil and organic additives can get expensive so I don't like wasteing it on males if you are growing from seed.
2. If space is an issue, small pots are good. Once you find your males and get rid of them, you will free up some room for bigger pots.
3. I read that it is good to keep your roots a little compact. In big pots the roots can grow a little sparcely. A nice root mass equals big healthy plants.

Big pots won't hurt though. People grow outside in the ground with no problems. I start with 6" pots. When I move my plants into flowering, I use 2.5 gal pots. Then once I figure out which ones are males, they get removed and my girls go into 5 gal pales. Transplanting is a piece of cake, and if done nice and gently, you won't even notice any signs of stress. That is how "I" do it anyways.

I agree with crazy horse. You can start in any size pot you want to with no problems. By starting in small pots and working your way up the plants develop the roots better. Transplanting is simple and doesn't bother the plants if done carefully.

I get Fox Farms at my local hydro store for under $14 a bag. It is cheaper than buying other soils and adding other stuff to it, in my opinion.

I My Self Use Mg Organic Choice It Works Really Good Look At This Pics And Tell Me What You Think

5555.jpg

tmpphpKWaJzT.jpg

tmpphpqa9Sla.jpg

i would go with fox farms ocean forest, cut with 20% chunky perlite,for grow and bloom. you may want to use a soil with no nutes for seedstarting

Latest posts

Back