Somebody tells me??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R00T BOUND

Reaction score
Someone I know tells me that I can veg. under a HPS with the same (or better) result than a MH - I have a hard time with this one, I mean, I understand that you can veg. under HPS, but...:confused:

This is for moms BTW...

idk but from what ive read and learnt ,,,you cannot beat mh for vegging ,mh=blue spectrum hps=red
and as blue spectrum is used for vegging and red for flowering ,,it stands to reason :48:

True, that is what I was trying to get through his thick skull :hubba:

Some people ya know :rolleyes:

it works just as good, only diff being plants vegged under hps will have tighter internodes.

that in my opinion is what we all strive for so many other ways so i veg under hps.

lotek said:
it works just as good, only diff being plants vegged under hps will have tighter internodes.

that in my opinion is what we all strive for so many other ways so i veg under hps.

Have you done a comparison Lotek? Why would anyone veg under cooler temperature lights like MH if this were true? Can you point me in the direction of more info on this?

I veg under MH and flower under HPS because everything I've read from numerous sources regarding growing any type of plant indoors, including MJ of course, says cool or blue for veg and warm or red for flower.

I've even read that many growers here continue to flower under MH for the first 2 weeks after switching to 12/12 to reduce the stretch.

BBFan said:
Have you done a comparison Lotek? Why would anyone veg under cooler temperature lights like MH if this were true? Can you point me in the direction of more info on this?

I veg under MH and flower under HPS because everything I've read from numerous sources regarding growing any type of plant indoors, including MJ of course, says cool or blue for veg and warm or red for flower.

I've even read that many growers here continue to flower under MH for the first 2 weeks after switching to 12/12 to reduce the stretch.

BB, im not sure that MH lights are THAT much cooler than HPS, theres still a whole lot of heat coming off a 1000W MH (or did you mean color temp...?). I did veg with 1000W HPS and got very tight nodes but im not sure whether thats due to the light, or because of blasting Co2 and a very aggressive nute mix

He had to have meant kelvin cooler.

I have not bothered with a mh myself but i do however know that vertical growth in MJ is controlled by the difference in the ratio of red>blue in the lower leaves versus red>blue in the upper leaves. so more red at both of these locations invariable will cause it to be a squatter plant. I SOG under a 1000w hps in my basement so hight is at 7ft but thats where the hooks are so the hood is a good bit lower. if i dont keep the plants short the canopy will exclude my other plants which i start and grow in the outer glow of the light. because of this i have never been tempted to screw in my mh bulb(i use a hps convo bulb in a mh ballast).

unless your room was 90f, and the co2 was applied in the correct intervals it was all due to the light as co2 is ineffective unless all conditions of 100% correct for it.

As i understand, its better to use mh for your veg room cause it actually induces a controlled stretch. this causes your plants to elongate constantly and produces the appearance that your plants are growing faster. they get taller quicker yes, but id bet the number of nodes is the same for the given amount of time ;]

I do a 12/12 from rooting/seed among other things` to run a squat sog. since this involves limiting light, i need the period they are exposed under to cause as little vert growth as possible.

I was referring to kelvin in regards to temperatures. Sorry for the cinfusion.

Lotek-
I grow with 2 units (400 watt mh with 360 watt conversion hps). What are your thoughts on using 1 hps and 1 mh throughout the entire grow?

Latest posts

Back