Stretch or no stretch question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First Time Caller

Reaction score
Like I've said before, I'm not embarrassed to say I'm new at growing because if the shoe fits, wear it.

I have some of this information in my grow journal but I do have a specific stretch question so I'd like some of you more experience growers comment on these specific pictures.

All three white widows are mirror images of each other. Here are some specifics about the grow so you know the conditions.

They are under 24/7 lighting with exhaust fan and circulating fan which moves the leaves lightly. Min/Max temperatures in the grow box have been 73F(23C)/77F(25C).

I've tired to minimize stretch on my white widows by keeping the cfls up close and personal. The lights are never more than an 1.5"/4cms away from the tops of the plants. Also, the plants are always centered between two bulbs.

I've resisted the temptation to nute based on what I've read, mostly from this site. They are transplanted in 5:1 ocean forest/light warrior mix. They are receiving about 500ml (one pint) of distilled water every three days.

All three white widows are 16 days post breaking the ground and about an hour ago they were just short of 6" (15cm) tall. Their width is right at 11" (28cm)

Here are the pictures. The first two show the new growth in 6"(5.9cm). The third shows looking directly down on the 11"(28cm) width. Fourth is a close up shot of the main showing the new growth.

I can check on these plants almost anytime of the day and can readjust the light height in 1/2"(12/13mm's) increments.

Should I move the lights up a little and try to stretch them a little. Leave the light alone, as they will stretch during flower, give them away to someone on this list and start over again(sorry, the smell of the grow box is fantastic:hubba:..they aren't going anywhere) or just quit :watchplant:.

Thanks for any comments, this is about all the energy I have....ate up with the flu......

beans118resize.jpg

beans109resize.jpg

beans110resize.jpg

beans112resize.jpg

sorry u have the flu the plants look great I wouldnt change it.. u could move it up and inch or two away..right now they look so strong to hold the many heavy buds you hope they will grow.. ;)

Thanks 2Dog, I'm hoping for some heavy ones, I'm liking the smell of the grow box....two of the white widows are purely stanky!!:D

The more the plants have gone vertical these past couple days the more I've been horizontal. Time to go assume the position for a while...:rolleyes:

Impressive looking grow First Time Caller- Nice and tight. I wouldn't change a thing. IMHO I would keep the lights as close as possible- tighter is always better! ;)

I've never grown WW, but I hear they are super sensitive to nutes.

Looking good! Congrats and keep up the great work!

It looks good to me too. You want the nodes nice and tight like that. You will need a bigger lamp once they are ready to flower. Do you have another light to flower under?

BBFan said:
IMHO I would keep the lights as close as possible- tighter is always better! ;)
I've never grown WW, but I hear they are super sensitive to nutes.
Looking good! Congrats and keep up the great work!

Thanks, I'm with you. I plan nothing but water during veg with the FF soil then ease in Tiger Bloom slowly during flowering.

maineharvest said:
It looks good to me too. You want the nodes nice and tight like that. You will need a bigger lamp once they are ready to flower. Do you have another light to flower under?

Thanks to you too MH. Yep, I have a 400W HPS in the plans for flowering if the grow continues as well as it appears to be going. Just don't know whether to get it during sexing or wait until I sex girls. Thoughts??

You better hope you dont end up with two males. Do you have any more seeds?

First Time Caller said:
Yep, I have a 400W HPS in the plans for flowering if the grow continues as well as it appears to be going. Just don't know whether to get it during sexing or wait until I sex girls. Thoughts??

I usually back down to 18/6 after the first 3 or 4 weeks and my grows always show preflowers right around 6 weeks. Guess it depends on how big you want to let them get, as long as you have enough room. Good luck!

maineharvest said:
You better hope you dont end up with two males. Do you have any more seeds?

I have three white widows and three freebies in this grow. I hope I don't end up with two male white widows anyway, also:eek:

My plan was to play with the freebies, LST, pinching, topping. All three though, are some type of Indica. Two look very similar, one a little taller but definitely Indica.

BBFan said:
I usually back down to 18/6 after the first 3 or 4 weeks and my grows always show preflowers right around 6 weeks. Guess it depends on how big you want to let them get, as long as you have enough room. Good luck!

Thanks.

I need to keep these short, as my grow box is currently only 4'(1.2m) tall. I could increase the height but really don't want to. After this grow, I'm leaning towards a dwarf auto grow.

I've been nosing around this thread and your grow journal has been very helpful First Time Caller thanks for posting it, I have a question... The man at the hydro store told me to buy this vitamin B solution to mix with the water. Now that I have been reading that ww needs no nutes I will not use the other nute until the flowering stage but what about the B vit ? My little girls have not even popped their heads out of the soil yet and I don't want to kill them with kindness.

NorthernHoney said:
I've been nosing around this thread and your grow journal has been very helpful First Time Caller thanks for posting it, I have a question... The man at the hydro store told me to buy this vitamin B solution to mix with the water. Now that I have been reading that ww needs no nutes I will not use the other nute until the flowering stage but what about the B vit ? My little girls have not even popped their heads out of the soil yet and I don't want to kill them with kindness.

Thanks for following along. Sorry, I wish I could help but I can't answer your question about B vit. You'll need to ask someone more experienced than me...I'm still swimming with the sharks;)

I am following the leanings I have got from reading as much as I could on this site, that white widows are very susceptible to nute burn. They need nutes, it's just that foxfarm ocean forest has organic nutes with no time release ferts and enough to last through veg. That is the one reason that I went with foxfarm soil, so I would not need to nute during veg. Look at post #6 by dirtyolsouth in this thread:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47262

I looked at your initial thread and it seems you planted your seeds yesterday....I know it's hard not to :watchplant: but give the girls a little time and some green mojo headed your way.

Latest posts

Back