tds and ppm noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8xjagerxbongxtoker

Reaction score
i just got my dwc 10gal hydro system and want to learn on tds and ppm.
tds is a tester thats all i know ppm has to do with water but what excatly i see people posting like my ppm is at 600 or 800 etc but how do u control that?

Fun to have a new toy eh?

Basically TDS stand for "total dissolved solids" it is basically how much stuff (nutrients) are in your solution....

PPM stands for "part per million"..it's just a way of measuring TDS....

If I have a TDS meter and I want to measure how strong my nutrient solution is I use the meter and get a reading of PPMs..

there are a host of ranges for PPMs....lower ranges (200 range) for younger plants and clones

middle ranges 600-800 for vegging plants and

and higher concentrations of anywhere from 1000-1500 for plants in the flowering stages...

this is a rough guide and there are a few folks with a chart from a website (not sure of the details..sorry) that they have thrown up in other posts about PPM ranges for plants...

hope that helps:)

I'm sorry to say it but you're wrong about TDS being a tester. Both TDS & PPM are measurements of the relative concentration of a solution. There is also a third one EC.

TDS = total dissolved solids; PPM = parts per million; and EC = electrical conductivity.

They each have their pros and cons in determining the strength of a nutrient solution, but ppm is the most frequently published measurement from the manufacturers/distributors of the nutrient.

Unless you are using RO (reverse osmosis = a very effective filtration method that can remove even most dissolved minerals) or distilled water, which while it removes dissolved solids actually increases the concentration of highly volatile (a vapor temperature lower than the vapor point of water) chemicals such as things like ether, alcohol, organic solvents and so on< you need ot adjust your recommended PPM to account for the exisiting dissolved solid in your water source. For instance my tap water is 200 PPM, barely hard, so if the nutrients I'm usig call for a PPM of 300, then to achieve that strength my solution would measure 500 PPM -- the 200 PPM that I have in my untreated water + the 300 PPM for the correct strength of the nutrients = 500PPM for my mixed solution.

However, one problem with anything except an complete chemical analysis is that the none of the testers really tell you how much of what is dissolved in your solution. You could have almost pure calcium carbonate (limestone), almost totally iron, a lot of nitrogen substances, a lot of phosphorus, a lot of potassium or a mixture of several of the above and or some thing totally unrelated to plants nutrition and yet have the same starting PPM/TDS/EC.

So if you have a high initial PPM/TDS/EC you should have your water analysed to be sure what is in it because if you have a lot of any particular plant nutrient then you need to adjust the nutrients to accommodate for that already high concentration of the particular nutrient or you will wind up either over feeding that nutrient or locking out another essential nutrient.

If you use well or stream water, you will probably have to pay to have the analysis done, but if you are on a public water system, they should be able to pretty well tell you what is in your water because they have to have it analyzed frequently.

str8xjagerxbongxtoker said:
so my tap water will have a baseline ppm? and the more nuts i add the more the ppm goes up?

simply put, yeah..the more nutes/particles in the water, the higher the PPMs

ok cool.... so if i buy a tds tester it will read what my tap water ppm is? everthing is slowly processing haha like i said im a noob at ppm etc... thanks alot guys

The PPM,TDS,EC meter will show what PPM's your tap water is at.

Getting your baseline PPM for you tap water is a must before you start your feeding regiment.

say you have a baseline measurement of 100ppm then you know that if you mix your nutes to your desired PPM then 100 of that the final PPM will have 100ppm that was from the tap water. so if your desired ppm is say 600ppm you will only be adding roughly 500PPM of nutes

Latest posts

Back