the "that turned out to be a good pick!" movie thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleshstain

Reaction score
i'm hoping this thread will go on for a bit.... this if for you to post info about the movie, you either went to see or purchased, that was totally unknown to you or you wouldn't normally watch, but turned out to be a good pick....

to give you an idea of exactly what i'm talking about, here's my hidden gem pick for today....

Repo! The Genetic Opera

here's what the back cover says:

In the not-so-distant future, a worldwide epidemic of organ failures devastates the planet. Out of the tragedy, a savior emerges: GENECO, a biotech company that offers organ transplants...for a price. Those who miss their payments are scheduled for repossession....and hunted by the REPO man!

so, this was a movie i picked up and put back down on many different trips to Best Buy.... my biggest dislike right off the bat was the fact that it has Paris Hilton in it.... enough said on that one.... another major dislike was that it is a musical.... i am not a fan of musicals at all.... throw in the word "opera" and i'm usually instantly turned off....

what constantly kept grabbing my attention was the box.... the image of their "REPO man" on the cover was interesting, and the story line really caught my attention.... i have a very wide taste when it comes to movies.... usually, the gorrier, the totally original, or the odder movies have been my taste.... so, being a person who claims Brazil and A Clockwork Orange as a couple of my all time fav's, if you've seen them you'll understand, i decided to go ahead give this one a shot....

i was seriously surprised at how good this movie is.... yes, it's a musical.... yes, they sing a ton of opera.... the twist, it's a rock opera.... the music is actually very good.... and gives you a bit more appreciation for the cast when you learn that they are the actual singers as well.... the story line is pretty good.... the make-up and special effects are top notch!

i'd say if you're willing to give something new a shot, and can get past the very graphic effects, give this one a shot.... you might be impressed like i was....

okay.... you get what i'm kind of shooting for here? if so, come on in!

SPOILER ALERT.... as much as i hate to say it, Paris Hilton has never looked better than she does in the very end of this movie :giggle:.... i thought her best scene before this was being impaled in House of Wax.... not anymore!

pics 045.jpg

Good thread, Flesh!

We just rented Pelham 1-2-3, and it was a terrific thriller!

Watched a "girly" movie with the misses, an older one with nicholas cage and shirly mc'clain called guarding tess. A classic and funny as hell.

Kevin Spacey and Judi Dench in a film adaptation of the book by the same name.....

The Shipping News.
So as not to give away the story line just in case you didn't see it in 2001.... here's the tail end of a on line review.
"Although, there is a deep and meaningful story about finding your place, dealing with your past, and learning how to cope with your losses, it never becomes tiresome and moves at a steady pace, leaving you wondering what is the next dark tragedy around the corner. The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking, making you understand that the original settlers of this harsh landscape arrived by accident and those who stayed know that strange things can happen. We get a vision of how important the sea is to these people and that the sealife is a major influence on the culture of the Newfoundlanders."

Frank Wilkins

I gota say I do like Kevin Spacey. I can't believe I missed this one when it came out - musta been stoned that year.

OldHippieChick said:
Kevin Spacey and Judi Dench in a film adaptation of the book by the same name.....

The Shipping News.
So as not to give away the story line just in case you didn't see it in 2001.... here's the tail end of a on line review.
"Although, there is a deep and meaningful story about finding your place, dealing with your past, and learning how to cope with your losses, it never becomes tiresome and moves at a steady pace, leaving you wondering what is the next dark tragedy around the corner. The cinematography is absolutely breathtaking, making you understand that the original settlers of this harsh landscape arrived by accident and those who stayed know that strange things can happen. We get a vision of how important the sea is to these people and that the sealife is a major influence on the culture of the Newfoundlanders."

Frank Wilkins

I gota say I do like Kevin Spacey. I can't believe I missed this one when it came out - musta been stoned that year.

Now that's a good pick. I read the book and the wife and I watched it when it came out. Funny enough, we just put it back on our netflix rental list. Way to go, OHC :hubba:

My Turn! Soundtrack by Mark Knopfler. Guaranteed great movie, one of my all-time favorites :)

Local Hero

Bill Forsyth's whimsical tale of sweet-natured corporate rapacity features standout performances by Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert. Lancaster plays Texas billionaire Felix Happer, who would rather gaze at the stars than worry about his multi-national oil company. Happer dispatches Mac MacIntyre (Peter Riegert) and Danny Oldsen (Peter Capaldi) to the small Scottish fishing village of Ferness to negotiate buying the entire town so Happer can drill for oil in the North Sea. Much to Mac's surprise, the entire town is happy to sell itself for big money, and the local innkeeper, Gordon Urquhart (Denis Lawson) -- who is also the town's accountant and mayor -- works with Mac on the negotiations. But a wrinkle appears in the deal when Ben Knox (Fulton Mackay), an old man who lives in a shack on the beach which has been owned by his family for centuries, refuses to sell. His reasons? "Who'd look after the beach then? It would go to pieces in a short manner of time." The deal stalls so seriously that Happer travels to Ferness to oversee negotiations as Mac and Danny are seduced by the charm of the Scottish town. ~ Paul Brenner, All Movie GuIDE

wow. i'll have to watch that art. sounds good...

i was gonna say something with profanity in it , but decided against it. thats right. i controlled the urge.;) ...

ok. on with it. since i don't really watch alot of the tube anymore, i'll refrence a good book by Jonathan Saul. is that cool? i mean, they should make a movie outta it.it was called Nathaniel. anyone ever read it?...

this is an author that writes with the same flair as Dean R Koontz, and Stephen King. if you like this type of material, may i suggest you check this one out?...

ps...the 'lil woman just bought x-men origins wolverine, and talked me into watching it with her. not to bad, again, if you like this sort of thing?...

John Saul is one of mine and my girlfriends favorites Irish, I don't think I'vr read that one yet though.

My girl rented the movie "The Orphan" I thought it looked corny, but it ended up haveing me on the edge of my seat. It was prtetty good, just watched it tonight.

Latest posts

Back