thermometer blues..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybusiness

98% chimp
Reaction score
Ya know..
I'm the sort of guy that always assumed if the technology is digital then it's going to be accurate. Other day i got a couple new indoor/outdoor thermometers on sale and stuck one in the grow room next to the one I've been using. Now i know the indoor and outdoor readouts on the same thermometer are usually a degree or two different but i was pretty surprised to discover NONE of the 4 readouts between the 2 thermometers were the same. Not even close. So i rounded up ever single thermometer around the compound (digital and other) and put all them in the same spot. Came back an hour later and low and behold,.. NONE of them read the same. A wide variable of results too. Crazy

thats weird. cant say ive ever tried it, but i suppose they wouldnt all be the exact same. you say they were a lot different? hmmmm..

loolagigi said:
thats weird. cant say ive ever tried it, but i suppose they wouldnt all be the exact same. you say they were a lot different? hmmmm..

Some were in the ballpark of each other but when i went in and checked em during dark cycle the same ones weren't necassarily in the same ballparks anymore. Fascinating..

If you go to an air conditioning supply house you can get a digital pocket thermometer, its what I use in my grow room and they are accurate. They can be found here also, this is the exact thermometer I use at work I have 5 of them
hXXp://www.professionalequipment.com/fieldpiece-pocket-digital-thermometer-spk1/thermometer/

My extremely accurate thermocoupler cost $350 so it isnt a bargain...

The temp variations can be created by heatspots from your light, try putting all of the thermometers you have in one location and see if they read anywhere close to the same...

How about a good 'ol Mercury thermometer...? Other than if you break it you'll have to call out the Hazmat crew. :eek: It's too bad that mercury is so toxic because they are very accurate, aren't they? That thermometer looks like a weapon, Mindzeye... Yikes... You can check the temps and it can be used as an ice pick or you can fight off an intruder. With that probe it would be handy when cooking meats in the kitchen though. Thanks for the info. Daniel Fahrenheit would be SO proud of our quest for accuracy!:rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

mrkingford said:
Try putting 2 of the SAME EXACT ones in the room and see what you get.
I do every day at work, they are very accurate...

dirtyolsouth said:
How about a good 'ol Mercury thermometer...? Other than if you break it you'll have to call out the Hazmat crew. :eek: It's too bad that mercury is so toxic because they are very accurate, aren't they? That thermometer looks like a weapon, Mindzeye... Yikes... You can check the temps and it can be used as an ice pick or you can fight off an intruder. With that probe it would be handy when cooking meats in the kitchen though. Thanks for the info. Daniel Fahrenheit would be SO proud of our quest for accuracy!:rolleyes:

In my line of work accuracy is Important, its my job to make sure the temp is good in the building your in... Never used it as a weapon but that probe is also good for sticking in the medium to get a good temp there...

not to steal a thread subject, but real quick, how do you do a double quote ??? please......?

quote then copy the text, then hit back then quote second post then paste text from first quote...

MindzEye said:
If you go to an air conditioning supply house you can get a digital pocket thermometer, its what I use in my grow room and they are accurate. They can be found here also, this is the exact thermometer I use at work I have 5 of them
hXXp://www.professionalequipment.com/fieldpiece-pocket-digital-thermometer-spk1/thermometer/

My extremely accurate thermocoupler cost $350 so it isnt a bargain...

The temp variations can be created by heatspots from your light, try putting all of the thermometers you have in one location and see if they read anywhere close to the same...
Thanks a bunch! I just ordered one online and will be veeeery interested to compare it to the others.
Yea, they actually are all in the same place, one reason i found it so fascinating.

dirtyolsouth said:

I've got a mercury one in there now and it's sort of been my mental gauge for comparison to the digital ones. I also have one of the out door garden spin dial type in there as well. Every type i could round up.

MindzEye said:
Well i've had this thermometer for a couple weeks now and i must say it is a good one. I also like to be able to stick it in vents and areas to find out temp the A/C is blowing out or the heat in ducts, etc..
I've been comparing the readouts of the others and so far I'm of the opinion that the 'weather channel' brand thermometers i have are more consistently accurate than the 'accurite' brand. Though neither matches up 100% of the time..

Did ya try placing a shade cloth over the thermometers? This would insure that you are not getting a radiant(?) heat reading.

I do not profess to have knowledge on the tech aspects of these things, but, i't DOES NOT feel 83 in my tent and it says so? it feels like i could sleep comfortable in their?

Latest posts

Back