tinfoil lining

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Hick-

'nuff said.

captain1 said:
I agree and wonder if mirrors would work also they are reflecting not magnifying so whats the difference from straight light? Can someone show me real proof that it causes hotspot and less reflective?

Just a thought....

mirrors actually suck up the light and dont reflect as one thinks. blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2009/11/what_happens_when_light_hits_a_mirror.html

I use Flat White Ceiling paint and here is why. 20 yrs ago my buddy worked at a paint factory and showed me the formulas for white paints, ceiling paints have the most Titanium(?) in them with flat having the most. The more Titanium(?) in the paint the better it will refract/reflect light.

choad said:
mirrors actually suck up the light and dont reflect as one thinks. blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/2009/11/what_happens_when_light_hits_a_mirror.html

A photon arrives, hits the surface of the metal, and causes an electron in the metal's outer energy lattice to jump up by one or more quantum levels.
After an indeterminate but short time, the unstable electron drops back to its previous quantum level, and as it does, emits a photon of exactly the same energy level - i.e. frequency - i.e., colour of light - as the one which arrived.
You only gave part of the information.

That is why polished metals all have different 'colours'. Brass for instance reflects white light as brass coloured because of its atomic structure.
Always glad to be of assistance . . .

and, Hick, if you feel that I would be better off elsewhere, just say the word. No problem.

Hick said:
EDITED for clarity BB...;)

that is exactly what prompted my post BB, the insulting, berating attitude displayed by a novice grower with very busy finger... and it isn't only 'this' thread that his posts have generalized the membership as stupid or below his intelect. I thought putting his experience and knowledge .."in perspective" was in order.

I was also offended and have been several times by the belittling that has been shown towards people here in general by him. Several times I thought about addressing it, and several times I opted to let it die...but my thoughts exactly on some one who may have finished one harvest...if that; to be talking down to anyone in here is absurd. Maybe that person should look in one of the mirrors hanging in his grow room before he types next time.

legalize_freedom said:
I was also offended and have been several times by the belittling that has been shown towards people here in general. Several times I thought about addressing it, and several times I opted to let it die...but my thoughts exactly on some one who may have finished one harvest...if that to be talking down to anyone in here is absurd. Maybe the person should look in one of the mirrors hanging in his grow room before he types next time.

i agree, well put. my thanx to my elders here at MP, for molding and maintaining this place that i enjoy so much.

Im sorry if I upset anyone im here to learn from the people I trust with great knowledge but if I dont question, how do we learn or understand? I have felt belittled and have watched what I say as much as possible because I afraid someone will find it stupid. Then I laugh and say its a forum and its hard to read emotions on here. I guess im saying WE ALL love MP lets not sweat the small stuff. Maybe I should spend more time growing than typing.

Captain I don't think you have offended anyone at all bud, at least not me. Thats what this place is for...I wish I could be doing more growing but there isn't a whole lot for me to do in there, except let it grow for right now. Lol I find if I spend too much time in the grow, I end up screwing with something that didn't need screwing with, or figuring I need to spend more money that I don't have, because I get a bright idea...I'm better off staying out of there until it's time to feed, or something.

and, Hick, if you feel that I would be better off elsewhere, just say the word. No problem.
absolutely "not" leafminer.. and THAT was not my intention. You and your grows have been an asset o the community ..BUT.. "I" don't feel/believe that your experience/qualifications as a high school science teacher 'qualifies' you to rewrite/dispute dozens of books and grow guides.
I've done a share of research on the subject, and what "I" recall is that there ARE mirrors that are specifically designed for reflecting light for scientific applications, but household mirrors are not them. If memory serves me correctly, the composition of the reflective material on the mirror makes the difference. I don't recall the specifics, I'm sorry.
But what I do know, is that "every" published grow guide advises to 'stay away' from household mirrors. "I" prefer to take their recommendation, (and advise others to also) over a novice growers 'hypothetical' ideas.

Jambo

You just might want to put down the Science books. My View is Quite Different.:)

DonJones said:
PC, don't you know that mirrors over the bed often impede love making - watching some one's butt pouncing up an down often has a tendency to incite laughter and laughter usually causes instant shut down.

Leaf-miner,

You are wasting your time trying to talk science here on the forums. They all have their minds made up and will come up with the weirdest arguments to support their positions. Those of us who understand something besides what we read in some supposed expert grower's book already agree with you and the others won't listen anyway.

They don't understand that aluminum foil has a dull side that absorbs more light, especial the infrared spectrum, than it reflects and the shiny side that reflects far more infrared than it absorbs. They don't understand that if you want to keep something from absorbing heat, you wrap it shiny side out, but it you want it to absorb or retain heat then you wrap it shiny side in and if they know that they don't have a clue why that is.

They also don't realize that the reason photo reflectors are usually flat white isn't because it reflects better but that is has a tendency to reduce bright an dim spots because it is absorbing more of the light rather than reflecting it.

Great smoking. I hope the reason you left science teaching was because you retired.

"P"

leafminer said:
"The angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection". .

This is exactly why mirrors are no good for growing.

Here is an experiment, In a small room take a flashlight and point it at a mirror at any angle that does not shine the light in your face, the only spot that lights up is where the angle of light hits a object, wall, floor ect.

Now in that same room shine a flashlight against a clean white surface, the entire wall appears to light up, and that makes the entire room brighter.

BOSTON BAKED BEAN said:
so flat white paint it best?
:rofl: :rofl: :bolt:

LOL apparently so.:holysheep:

MYSELF, I just came here because my hat needed new lining, and was looking for the best tinfoil.:hubba: :rolleyes:

Think I'll just paint my hat.:eek:

DD

Here is what "one expert" says: Foylon 94-95%, Mylar 90-95%, Flat White paint 85-93%, semi gloss white 75-80%, flat yellow 70-80%, aluminum foil 70-75%, black less than 10%.....notice mirrors are not even in there.

The reason I use flat white is that it is cheap, and can be cleaned easier. I used Mylar, but it has to lay flat, with no wrinkles, which is hard to do, and once it gets wet and dirty it is useless, because if you try to wipe it down it just gets smeared, and needs replaced. A good Kitchen and Bath paint can be wiped down and used over and over

legalize_freedom said:
Here is what "one expert" says: Foylon 94-95%, Mylar 90-95%, Flat White paint 85-93%, semi gloss white 75-80%, flat yellow 70-80%, aluminum foil 70-75%, black less than 10%.....notice mirrors are not even in there.

The reason I use flat white is that it is cheap, and can be cleaned easier. I used Mylar, but it has to lay flat, with no wrinkles, which is hard to do, and once it gets wet and dirty it is useless, because if you try to wipe it down it just gets smeared, and needs replaced. A good Kitchen and Bath paint can be wiped down and used over and over
great post lf

So its possible to actually get 2% overall improvement for less.
I'll say it again
"the Best Bang for your Buck"

Best Wishes
"P"

Latest posts

Back