Too Much Light.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lezbein

Reaction score
I really messed up. Had my plants way to close to the light under 24 hours, so I noticed the under leaves yellowing, curling and falling off, ok. I later noticed some new roots growing right at the base of the plant comming out the ground a bit. As if they grew new ones right there. Does long exposure to light normally cause this root issue? Could it be something else?

What kind of light you are using?
How close is the light to the plant?
What is the size of your container?
What kind of nutrients you are using?
How long you have been keeping your plant in that container?

I would venture to guess that if roots are growing at ground level that you are not watering deep enough...however we really need way more info as Cornellius' questions indicate.

Lezbein said:
I really messed up. Had my plants way to close to the light under 24 hours, so I noticed the under leaves yellowing, curling and falling off, ok. I later noticed some new roots growing right at the base of the plant comming out the ground a bit. As if they grew new ones right there. Does long exposure to light normally cause this root issue? Could it be something else?

Neither of these two problems are from your light, I wouldnt worry about the roots just cover them with more medium.

I wouldnt worry about the roots comeing up my I have 2 out of my 10 girls doing it right now....no problems have surfaced ...

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would venture to guess that if roots are growing at ground level that you are not watering deep enough..

or often enough and if she has been in that pot for awhile and could be root bound they need more watter also cuz they dry out quiker whith less soil to hold the moisture:watchplant:

U know I should have mentioned more on my little grow box, it was growing in. Get ready to laugh. It's a milk crate, w/ a 23 w florescent. 24hrs lighting. The light is at one end of the crate, it don't produce much heat; therefore I was thinking w/ the AC on the temp must get cold in there. I have about a 4" hole in the bottom to let air in and a 2" hole on the top to let the air out. So to ask now, can the roots come out the ground from these conditions? If not light then can temp cause this? u think the air circulation is bad? What can I do to improve it? I'm still a newbie so plz help.

P.S. A few other seedlings have also broken in half at the stem I noticed the same results once when I over feed them. That plant root pic; is suppose to be a wick; which I messed up.

MJ9 copy.jpg

MJ6.jpg

MJ1.JPG

MJ5.jpg

holy crap you have serious steching issues. and the pots are way to small. you have two plants in a soda can. don't have enough light add a few cfls to get your lumens up. its ok to start in cups, just 1 plant per cup though works better. put them in bigger pots water and they'll be fine.. try to bury as much of that stem as you can. im not sure if that will help at this point. hope this helped good luck

1) Get your plants out of whatever you have them in and put them in some good dirt or coco coir or peatmoss or whatever you want but not that. Get good dirt with no nutes in it, fox farms or pro mix are both good choices.

2) There is no such thing as too much light unless you have a way of producing more light than the sun you should be fine.

3) You need more light buy some CFL's and hang them above the plant.

4) I guarantee you have heat issues with that set up. I'm willing to guess thats whaats causing your leaf problem.

5) If it were me I would start over. Scrap what you have going, do some research read these forums for a while and build yourself a new setup what you have is definitely not going to work out well for you.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do but you need to know that at this moment you have some very very serious issues with your grow. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just trying to help so read the above as though it had a pleasant tone.

Good luck man and this is the place to be if you want to learn how to grow good pot. Do your homework.

Man I should make that my sig... do your homework.

I thought about scrapping it too.

Those are aquarium rocks, are they bad?

Wat I got in there now is a CFL. A compact fluorescent light. 23W low heat. Should it be diff/?

I also have a small set up but that one made mine look huge :D
My grow ain't going that good either... But i'll probably harvest a few buds in a while... I don't think I can Give much advice but, get your plants a bigger room and some more light... Don't kill the ones you have already... Maybe start a few new once and see what happens...
Good luck and grow on!!!:afroweed:

Lol,defintly Use A Regular 3-5 Gallon Bucket And Only Use Dirt Or Coco,and No Aquarium Rocks =) Them Or For Fish..not Weed

Here's a cheap idea that started me off a long time ago and I still use once in awhile when I'm to tapped for other resources:

Find an old desk, make place in your closet, flip it on it's side inside the closet, Paint the inside flat mat, latex for walls is excellent and cheap for this. Drill a hole for ventilation *FAN > inline fans are cool and quiet and will move enough air for a healthy set up. Go to hydro store, purchase a pre fabricated mogul socket, purchase a 6700k CFL to fit in the mogul socket, hang it on hooks chains inside the desk. and presto, you got yourself a grow cab. :)

I would use this only for vegging though, by flowering time you should have gotten paid from work or crime and should invest in another socket set / and another CFL (This time go with 2700k to 3000k CFL light bulb), hook the light to the clothes bar and you now have yourself a flowering chamber :) make sure to add a cheap fan for ventialion for you flower chamber and your good to go.

Lat but not least, if you do not want people to know (stealth, and have a bit more cash to spend), invest in a carbon air scrubber. and run it in the closet with the closet door closed 99.9 % of the time. When you need to do maintenance make sure before you opne the closet to have a good air flow in the room to ventilate it before/during/after maintenance so that the heavy smell is not so "Heavy" ^^

Have fun, hope this helped, and if I had to estimate how much all of the above cost it would run you around mmmm 300$ Canadian. Oh yeah, I'l leave you with this comment which I heard actualy 3 days ago from the hydro store owner .... "You can never have to much light, it's the heat that accompanies that light you need concern yoursefl with!"

F.y.i. CFL's produce very little heat and I touch them daily, they don;t burn to the tocuh! so u can have you plants up to 2 inches away from the actual plant top

Take care :)

Latest posts

Back