Trick for washing hydroton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishcabo

Reaction score
After trying many methods for rinsing the hydroton, I finally came up with one that seems a little easier. I have tried using a collander, ice chest, etc. but they are all a pain in the rear. This time I took a six or seven foot piece of drip line and taped one of my filters from my tray to the end and stuck it down to the bottom of a clean plastic trash can (my reservoir). All this was done outside even though you could probably do it in a bathtub. I dumped the bag of hydroton in the trashcan and filled it with water. I then started a siphon with the hose. I would fill up the can with water, mix it around and then siphon again. It was simple and not a mess and those little balls didn't end up everywhere. I am sure there are other good tricks but this seemed pretty easy. Hope it helps some of you.

i washed mine piece by piece by hand, literally. I think its the most tedious, but effective way to wash it. jmo

anyother tips on how to wash and store

I took a clothes basket lined with a screen for a screen door and washed it in the bath tub.

I just take 2 pots and put one inside of the other. I fill one up with hydroton, and then blast away with the water hose. after that, i then dump them into the bathtub and let them soak in ph's water. By then, there is not more red dust coming off of them, and they're ready to go.

solarz

How long do they have to sit in pH water?

i just let them sit overnight. i then put then thru a test run w/ my veg bubbler and there was no collection of dust/debris in the bottom of the tub.

solarz

all good ideas. i have a wand attached to my shower head. this makes it easy to do it so many ways. i let soak, usually 24hrs also...bb...

Latest posts

Back