Using Sugar to increase bud size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres a very interesting thread on how molasses can be beneficial to your grow from Zen Lunatic-http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5149 some very interesting reading people.

It struck me today...I really have to appricate the fact that you question what you read. A lot of people take what they read as gospel, and some times that's just not the case. So thank you Rehab is for Quitters, and keep questioning!!! :ccc:

i never add any sugars, mollasses, honey, fruit loops, fruit juice, pixie sticks, or anything else but GH+hygrozyme. i must really be miisin out. down side someone asked...ants, bugs(beneficials and some destroyers also feed on carbs), increased risk for mold/mildew i believe, ive never heard anyones personal experience with sugars be like "wow, what an incredible difference it made. seems like some "have always used it," and some like me, "never touch the stuff". be interesting to do side by side soil (i hear this is where sugars are most beneficial) grows, exact specs...except the one with sugars.

I just started using carboload in my hydro setup. If anyone is growing hydro and are thinking about using carboload, have the ph up ready!! I never had to use ph up and only adjusted the ph once to 5.6 .Since im using ro water it stayed around that range. I put the carboload in, checked the ph and it was fine. But the next day it was at 2.9!!! and i only had enough ph up to bring it up to 5.0. Luckily they didnt die or anything:)

widowmaker said:
I just started using carboload in my hydro setup. If anyone is growing hydro and are thinking about using carboload, have the ph up ready!! I never had to use ph up and only adjusted the ph once to 5.6 .Since im using ro water it stayed around that range. I put the carboload in, checked the ph and it was fine. But the next day it was at 2.9!!! and i only had enough ph up to bring it up to 5.0. Luckily they didnt die or anything:)

Wow... I never had that problem before

Yea, i was freakin out, i actually read this happening to another person but i wasnt prepared for it to be that low. 2.9 is crazy low. I want to calibrate my meter just in case, but i tested it with some dasani water and it was 7.1 which is about right. Oh yea, I put 4 oz in my 30 gallon tub, and now the water is super cloudy and there is alot of bubbles on the roots. Looked like soap.

Im using flora nutes not advanced, so dont know if that has anything to do with it. Maybe my ph pen was giving me false readings, but I really have no clue why it was so low. I had read it on another forum not this one.

Is it supposed to bubble? Maybe the guy sold me some soap.lol I got it on ebay so you never know, but it was sealed

Ive tried molasses but not plain sugar. I use warm water so it dissolves easily with 2 table spoons per gallon of water. hit them 3-4 weeks in flowering when buds start filling in. add the molasses when you feed, you can make a tea and throw this in. Make sure the water isnt to hot or it can kill bennifical microbes in the tea.

I have a thread on easy arreated compost teas floating around I will find for you.

The most comprehensive study of molasses, soil reuse, and many other helpful organic growing facts can be found at: www.the3lb.com

Also, I've never had an insect problem useing molasses during watering...B

i am using blackstrap molasses in a side by side test. 1st fem. is getting only flora nova nutes, 2nd fem. is getting flora nova, plus 1table spoon of blackstrap molasses. i vegged for 6 weeks, and have been flowering 15 days, in 15 more days' , i will up the molasses to 2 table spoons in the tea mix. as of now, i would have to say, there is a little difference in plants, the one getting the molasses has more, and bigger buds coming on , and no pest problems...

Okay I'm just popping in here to say I totally endorse adding the mollasses. I have 8 plants in flower and 2 weeks ago I started adding mollasses (2 tablespoons per gallon of water) to 4 of the plants.

The buds on the 4 plants getting the mollasses have gotten HUGE!! They're probably about 40% bigger than the non-mollasses group (these are all white widows btw). My book said they should only get 20% bigger with mollasses, so I am guessing that maybe the non-mollasses group may have a growth spurt at some point to narrow the gap, but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

ETA: I should also add that I am flowering this time with all flouros, so my buds were a little airy....the mollasses buds now look like what you get with HID.

Growdude said:
Ive never used mollases but ive allways used Sweet.
Never did a side by side comparison but Ive gotten some big buds.

Gotta admit that I'm really tempted to add mollasses to the other 4, but for the sake of science I will refrain. But if it does turn out that the mollasses group has much bigger buds (and no bad side effects) then I'll be using it from now on.

both female, 7 weeks old. Day 18 of 12/12. pic 1 is getting flora nova bloom at half strength. pic 2 is getting same + 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses in her mix.
pic 2's flower sites are 3-1 over pic 1. and aprox., 40-50 percent larger. in roughly 10 days, i will be upping the molasses to 2 tablespoons in mix, and going full strength on nutes. camera bites, sry. more pics in general outdoor growing titled--- it's whats in the closet...

Rehab is for Quitters said:
Okay I'm just popping in here to say I totally endorse adding the mollasses. I have 8 plants in flower and 2 weeks ago I started adding mollasses (2 tablespoons per gallon of water) to 4 of the plants.

The buds on the 4 plants getting the mollasses have gotten HUGE!! They're probably about 40% bigger than the non-mollasses group (these are all white widows btw). My book said they should only get 20% bigger with mollasses, so I am guessing that maybe the non-mollasses group may have a growth spurt at some point to narrow the gap, but we'll see.

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

ETA: I should also add that I am flowering this time with all flouros, so my buds were a little airy....the mollasses buds now look like what you get with HID.

How about some pics Rehab?..side by side...Thanks my Friend:) :)

4u2smoke said:
How about some pics Rehab?..side by side...Thanks my Friend:) :)

Okay these pictures suck because it's a major pain to take my plants out of my grow closet (I have to dismantle the lights), so this will have to do for now.

no mollasses.jpg mollasses.jpg

Picture 1 is a typical bud from the no mollasses group. And picture 2 is a typical bud from the mollasses group. Both are white widows grown from seed that vegged for 2 months and are now in week 8 of flower.

The buds from the mollasses group are about the size of coke cans and the no mollasses buds are now about half that size. These have all been flowering under flouros due to a heat issue.

When I harvest, I'll lay the buds side by side and take some better pics.

GeezerBudd said:
Here's a thread on the subject if you have'nt already-very interesting.
Good Luck.
Gb

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5149

That was a great read, thanks. I was surprised to learn that mollasses can also repel certain bugs. I would have thought just the opposite....that it would attract bugs. Good to know.

BTW, does anyone else here have problems with the 'Search' feature on this site? Before I posted the op, I tried searching the site to see if there was any info that had already been posted. As usual, my search criteria (mollasses in this case) brought up 50 thousand irrellevant threads. The thread you linked to above, which IS very relevant was either not among them, or got lost in the crowd. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back