Using Sugar to increase bud size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeezerBudd said:
Here's a thread on the subject if you have'nt already-very interesting.
Good Luck.
Gb

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5149

I have a great respect for Zen and the Lady. They and I strongly disagree on the scale of the improvement of results from using molasses.

Lady and Zen are two of the most informed people I've ever met.

We agree to disagree, and the world keeps right on spinnin.

ok so what is the ratio of sugar to water??? ive heard icing sugar is best as it is the finest sugar not sure?

i always thought i would get diabetes from the munchies..not the weed itself...just messing with you guys..

Uk1 said:
sugary is sugar tasting on the weed , lolz im just saying ive bought stuff before that was coated in sugar so if thats to do with this thread i wouldnt advise doing that

they are talking about adding sugar or molasses as feed in the plants water. Not contaminated weed you've bought lol

I used molasses last summer on 1/2 of my plants I never noticed MUCH difference than the 1's without it . Remember using any thing with sugar out doors it will bring bears for miles.

shakeymacd said:
ok so what is the ratio of sugar to water??? ive heard icing sugar is best as it is the finest sugar not sure?
If you let someone talk you into adding cane suger to your water, you're nuts.

It won't do anything but harm your plants.

Was that clear enough?

But don't take my word for it. Mix up a bunch of "icing" sugar and water the hell out of your plants with it.

Start some more seeds. You're going to need the new seedlings.

spkyfsh420 said:
they are talking about adding sugar or molasses as feed in the plants water. Not contaminated
they are talking about adding sugar or molasses as feed in the plants water. Not contaminated weed you've bought lol

:rofl: That post was from, like, the fifties! Ok, maybe more like a year ago. Either way, think that dude even remembers writing it???

he was clearly confused! didnt see the post date though? either way this post was informative in regards to molasses

My buddy uses diluted blackberry juice from his home grown blackberry patch.
He swears by it.

Sinisterhand said:
My buddy uses diluted blackberry juice from his home grown blackberry patch.
He swears by it.
Do you know what a "Double Blind Test" is? Tell your buddy to research the term, perform one and then come here and tell us the results.

My forecast of the results are that the blackberry juice makes absolutely no difference in the growth of the plant, the size of the buds or the flavor of the smoke.

The only way to prove his theory is to perform that test. Until then, it's just a cute little story.

Another person here swore by singing to her plants.

Another put human piss in his water for them.

The cute little stories have no end. They are humorous, but don't really have anything to do with growing world class weed.

Unless someone performs a simple, double blind test on their theory. That type of test will PROVE a theory.

The test is easy to do. When someone tells me "I'm not doing all that", it just tells me that they're comfortable with their little game they play with their plants and it makes them feel warm and fuzzy to play that game. They really don't want to know that they're wasting their time by doing it, (as far as the plant is concerned).

I'm good with that until they try to pass it off as something that really does help the plant.

Then I start asking for the only possible proof; a Double Blind Test.

I have done 2 separate side-by-side tests using several commercially available "carb" products. I, personally, never saw any significant difference in either grow suggesting that added carbs increased bud weight.

POTUS:

I noticed your thanks to the Hemp Goddess on the above post. - Is it safe to conclude, then, that you will in fact accept non double-blind results, as long as they support your theory?

In clinical research, the term 'double-blind' indicates an environment wherein the person recording the results, in addition to the subject of the study, is unaware of which treatment (molasses or no molasses, in this case) has been administered. As we're not asking the plants to fill out questionnaires subsequent to our study, we can conclude that they are effectively 'blinded', in this sense.

This leaves us with the person recording the results. In order to satisfy the remaining double-blind criterion, this would mean that the person reporting the results would need to be someone OTHER than the person administering the treatment/no treatment.

Which would be hypothetically manifest here in one of two ways:

1. The person who is posting to this message board was NOT the person who administered the treatment and had no knowledge of which plants received what, or

2. The person who is posting to this message board had another person interpret their results without any knowledge of which plants received what.

Unfortunately, the actuality of either of these is no more conclusive:

1a. "I was looking at my buddy's plants and some of his buds were HUGE! When I asked him what he did differently, he told me he'd added molasses to them...", or

1b. "My girl has been watering my plants for me for the past month and trying the molasses in half of them (without telling me which ones). Sure enough, I could tell by the second week...", or

2. "So I've been watering half my crop for the last X weeks with molasses. Today I asked so-and-so which were the biggest. Sure enough..."

As you can see, none of these is in any way more conclusive than open, objective research. In an uncontrolled environment (results reported anonymously in an online message board dedicated to growing), there is no less potential for exaggeration or bias in such cases. Homeboy 1a wants to tell everyone his dude's plants were nice just as much as the next guy. I can tell you personally that 1b is simply impractical to the point of being unrealistic. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that any growers are going to both have access to someone who can conveniently take over the watering of their crops for any significant length of time and let them. Given the context, this aspect of a double-blind trial borders on the absurd, and I think you recognize that. Finally, in the case of number 2, there's even greater cause and potential for exaggeration than there is in the case of 1a. Demand for instances of this nature do nothing to increase the standard of reliability, particularly in a context such as this.

What it does do, however, is allow for the out-of-hand dismissal of other people's firsthand results in one fell swoop without possessing (or claiming to possess) any knowledge of equal credibility to the contrary. [See also: ad hominem attack.]

What's unfortunate about that is how it served to quip what was until that point a fairly decent discussion, which, in an online discussion board dedicated to the furthering of communal knowledge, ought to amount to a G.D. travesty. Open trials are more than adequate to prove or disprove a theory, provided you have enough of them.

Would it have been more or less efficient, when people started using fertilizer, to run open trials and gauge the results, or to demand double-blind trials involving entirely unnecessary protocols? Which do you think the chemical companies used? Which do you think the amateur growers out there in the trenches who perfect the science for our particular species use?

Put another way, no one is setting out to prove that molasses works. They were setting out to measure the difference, when you came in and got so far up their yahoos that it killed the entire conversation. I can't see how anyone would have a vested interest in skewing the results unless they were in molasses sales; there really is little cause to suspect bias. Without question, there is insufficient potential for bias to require a double-blind standard. ****, the plants can't even talk.

This isn't rocket science, and we're not attempting to prove the existence of dark matter, cure cancer or otherwise risk life and limb. I think that, not only is it safe to accept word of mouth here - particularly on a larger scale, but we also have no other realistic choice. And it bears mentioning again that this is exactly what the site is for.

POTUS said:
Was that clear enough?

Yours,
Juan

PS - Try to relax.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field."

- Niels Bohr

Uh, Potus died or something, man. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially all the time and trouble you musta went to. I think his pal Stoney Bud has mystical links to him or something.

blackstrap molasses is good 4 only 1 thing, & potus its not 4 ur pancakes. it is 2 feed those critters which in return help break down organic matter so ur plant can more readily take up the nutes. that is it nothing else.:stuff-1125699181_i_ stickman is "the weight theory"

Ya this is a pretty interesting thread. Ive also done some research in this area and found that plants, like humans, need both simple and complex carbohydrates. It would be like the equivalent of white bread vs. whole wheat. So.. Im trying a new mix during this flowering period that a friend of a friend told me. Go with one of the Big name sweeteners such as Sweet from Botanicare or Sweet Leaf from Advanced and then also add sugar in the raw and molasses. Im going to add a small amount, a teaspoon or so per gallon. Lets see how it goes!

and WOW Phaedrus... thats quite an extraordinary reverberation to a simple query. While you did make an exemplary attempt to utilize complex vocabulary, you did manage to include a few simple grammar mistakes. Such mistakes include run-on sentences and comma splices - and of course, irrelevant information to the topic. No one here is a proprietor of a sugar manufacturer, nor do they sell the merchandise to the local vendors. They simple question was, does sugar have any effect on the vascular system of cannabis plants? Cant you simply say yes or no?

Has anyone heard of the Yellow bottles, a few friends have said they have tried this line and it really works. Just wanted to get some feedback from the real pros.

Oh geeez... now that this thread has been dug up I've got a craving for a Snicker's Bar...:holysheep:

Welcome to MP!:eek:

Sorry mdcanna... don't even have a clue what 'Yellow Bottles' refers to... Is it a carbo product for plants?

Peace!:cool:

Do notes like ff trio take the place of sugar and molasses or should I do both?

i've learned over time, and through massp. that there is carbo loads in almost all blooming nutes...

myself, i use it on both indoor, and outdoor grows. in specific, i use Brer Rabbit unsulphered blackstrap molasses...

i did a side by side, with same conditions, and you could clearly see the difference. (i had pics here last year showing the results, but they are no longer here?)...

maybe the community felt sorry for me, and i got alot of good Karma sent my way, or maybe it actually did give good results...:hubba: ...Irish...

Latest posts

Back