Vegging: From HPS to MH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forget

Reaction score
im vegging for about 4wks now and he/she is looking good 1.25Ft 5 sets of grow and just started LST and have two tops so to speak now, will be doing more LST:)

Question: Currently under 400W HPS but also have 400W MH bulb and read that during vegging MH is better. Should I siwtch the bulb to MH for veg 4wks into the grow?

MH is just a better light spectrum for veg and HPS is a better light spectrum for flowering.But,you can us either one at either time.And get pretty good grows.But,wouldn't you want to use the correct light spectrum for the cycle your plants are in?That way to are working with your plants,and in return your plants will work alot hard for you.Hope that helps?Keep it GREEN:D

thanks berserker. Its just that I just found out that i was doing it the other way around. So im njot sure if i should stick with the HPS all the -way or change it to MH un til i decide to flower.

If you think i should change it, when would you advise its best, when lights are on or right before they go off? im on a 18/6

Honestly,they are in week 4 of veg,I dont know how long you plan on vegging for,but if its only for another week or so,just leave the HPS in, that will do fine.But,then just run the lights at the right time next grow:aok: .Keep it GREEN:D

just leave her under the hps. Like you said she's already a month in on the hps. I would leave her there. How long are you going to veg for, lots of peolple on this site dont veg very long, so they all have small little girls. MY girls where outdoor plants IN doors. I vegged for over 2 months, packing on that weight. I dont think anything would happen if you switched over the MH now. Next grow just start em off with the MH. I use' 300 watts for floros for veg.

headband said:
just leave her under the hps. Like you said she's already a month in on the hps. I would leave her there. How long are you going to veg for, lots of peolple on this site dont veg very long, so they all have small little girls. MY girls where outdoor plants IN doors. I vegged for over 2 months, packing on that weight. I dont think anything would happen if you switched over the MH now. Next grow just start em off with the MH. I use' 300 watts for floros for veg.

im gonna veg for another 2wks bcs i started LST last week and in one week I have a brand new TOP and one tied down. I want to wait a couple more days before transplanting her (hopefully) in a bigg bucket (7gl) (currently in a 3gl) so I can do one more LST action. I figured to give it at least two weeks after the transplanting which would take place in two days most likely. :hubba:

nice i had to LST the top of my purp cus her growth spruts where huge when i transplanted, and if you look at my journal towards the beginning, i was having height problems. So i LST's the crap outta her, made her one strong mother trucker. I used 5 gall.

I would change over to the metal halide. It won't hurt the plant to change bulbs. The mh will keep your internodes closer, unless you want them longer for lst. Last grow I changed from hps to mh for the last couple of weeks of flower to build up the potency of the bud with nice results. This grow I just added uvb lights to the hps to add potency.

kasgrow said:
Last grow I changed from hps to mh for the last couple of weeks of flower to build up the potency of the bud with nice results. This grow I just added uvb lights to the hps to add potency.
.."only" a theory.. no proof of eithr improving potency nor yield.. ;)

Hick said:
.."only" a theory.. no proof of eithr improving potency nor yield.. ;)

That is true. I should have stated as such. I am having nice results so far in potency and trichomes, in my stoner opinion. Not scientific.

Latest posts

Back