Ventilation Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezy

Reaction score
I have been contemplating my "next grow" for some time now and realize I cannot get started for another two months but I am a firm believer in the 6 P's so here i am.

I have always been a fan of the "Mills Pride Club" when I first saw Maliboo and MelloMan both convert a c-13 wardrobe cabinet into a very sexy garden on OG "back in the day". I personally have built two 48" wide cabs from the Home DePot for friends while "spreading the love" of making people sulf-sufficient and finally here I am about to move into a better environment for me to start back up my favorite hobby a.k.a. "Passion" ;) .

I loved these converted wardrobe cabs so much that I just have to make my own but here is the problem. I have my 400w HPS, experience, and many many hours of prowling forums like this since the OG back in 2003.

What I do not have is a set idea of what ventilation fan to use in a 48" W cabinet (72"ish H x 19-22"ish D) that will be pushing through a DIY SiS carbon scrubber. I have looked and looked and cannot decide which fan to use. My main priorities would be sound and quality first then price. There are a few fans that I am seriously looking into: I personally like S&P (Soler & Palau TD-200 or 200x, which is an 8" fan), or any of the other in lines which would be 6" (elicent, vortex, canfan).

Which would you buy?
8" S&P TD-200(x) (478-540 cfm, depending on model) for $157/168 at hvacquick (dot) com / spfnconfig.php?fm=td

6" vortex (VTX600, 440 cfm) prolly for $168 at two different e-bay stores (texas wholesale hvac & A-global hydroponics)

6" canfan (CANFAN6HO, 440 cfm) for $165 at //cheaphydroponics (dot) com

or any other 6" fan ( I hear whispers are crap and haven't found much variation in elicent prices). The thing is I want something "quiet" and I know a fan and quiet do not go together but I'm sure you can imagine that I want the quietest I can get. Another thing is the S&P is an 8" dia. which might be too big for my DIY cooltube bake a round and DIY scrubber although i guess I could just up the collars on the scrubber from 6" to 8".

I might also utilize a DIY muffler to help with the sound and I will be using a fan controller as well.

What would you do? Consider that the S&P and Canfan has a 5-yr warranty while the Vortex is 10-yrs.

Another side note: this would be in an apartment with TOT-LOCKS and preferably have the scrubber inside the cab...but only a preference.

I greatly appreciate anyone's input on this :)

Howdy Weezy, I absolutely love my 6in. elicent(309cfm). it's practically silent compared to others i've heard (vortex.hydrofarm). The vortex has quite a bit more power but it's considerably louder. I had hydrostoreguy plug them in side by side and I couldn't tell the elicent was on next to the vortex. hope that helps. Oh, i'm using it to aircool/exhaust 30 x 60in area with a 400..pushing out through 375cfm phat filter.

I appreciate it lyfr. I haven't had the best luck of finding an amazing deal on an elicent but i will sure look around some more. I take it you bought that one at a local store? If you don't mind me asking, how much was it and what's the warranty on those?

*addition* I have found the 6" elicent 150B (309 cfm) for $195 on the e-bay store A-global hydroponics. I'm thinking since it is only 80 watts that the extra $30 could be made up in energy conservation in the end bc the vortex and S&P is like 130 watts each.

Also, do you think the vortex could be as "quiet" if reduced to 309 cfm as well since 309 cfm is only 70% of its potential 440 cfm?

No one else has anything to comment about or did I just write too much stuff?

Latest posts

Back