Ventilizationing 2 (air flow vs. cooling)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffca

Reaction score
when there is a ventilation tube coming from the reflector, what is that called? i mean is there a special name for it? does it keep the light cool or keep good air flow?

that is an ar cooled hood...that brngs air from outside in threw the light

Its purpose is to connect ducting and fans to air cool the hood.

so it both keeps the lamp cool while bringing air flow into the grow room for the plants? is it a must to keep the lamp cool? thanks

jeffca said:
so it both keeps the lamp cool while bringing air flow into the grow room for the plants? is it a must to keep the lamp cool? thanks
I was wondering the same thing, if air-cooled hoods is enough for ventilation or if it's sole purpose is cooling and you also need more fans to bring in fresh air.

I do know that you don't need an air-cooled hood, it's just an easier and more efficient way to cool the growing area.

you'll prolly want to try and bring cool/fresh air INTO the room, circulate it with a small fan, or ocilating fan depending on your room size. Then EXHAUST the room through the light, and OUT. Remember your exhaust is going to smell like the ganj unless you filter it...check the DIY area for an easy/cheap Carbon filter.

IMHO, the purpose of a Cool Tube is too vent the heat directly at the source...The light. This works best by taking cool air from outside of your grow room via insulated dryer hose, through the enclosed cool tube and then directly outside. This means that this exhaust will never contain air from the grow room and does not need to be filtered. You will however need a small exhaust fan to vent the stale air and an intake to replenish the exhausted air, which can be either passive or active.

jeffca said:

Unfortunalty neither an air cooled hood or a cool tube will bring any type of fresh air supply into your grow room

Unfortunalty neither an air cooled hood or a cool tube will bring any type of fresh air supply into your grow room

Badum chhh!! :rofl:

:confused: :confused:
massproducer said:

why not? isn't it air from outside being pumped inside, how is that not fresh air? :confused: thanks for your response btw.

jeffca, i think mp was messin with you a little bit...

you can bring in fresh air with some duct hose, attached to an intake fan, or tapped off of your HVAC system or, or, or... Then an exhaust fan connected to one side of an air cooled hood, and exhausted OUTSIDE of the "box" should be fine to keep your temps in check.

Look around in the Grow Journals and setup and design section for some ideas. Before you put any seeds in the ground make sure your temps are under control 70-80's lights on, and I like to stay above 60 in the dark, but that's ME...

What is being said is this: A "cool tube" or air cooled reflector SHOULD be used by itself. It[cool tube] should have its own intake(from outside), and obviously its own exhaust. And since the air cooling the light came from outside the grow room, it needs no filter. NOW, you still have to have fresh air exchange INSIDE the grow room. For this, you need a intake in the floor of grow room, or anywhere near the bottom. This can be "active" or passive. Passive just means cut a hole, and then use a big enough exhaust fan to pull in fresh air thru the intake hole. Active means to put a fan in this hole and actually force fresh air in. Either way, you need a exhaust fan with the correct CFM(cubic feet per minute) to exchange air thru the growroom. And since this air is actually being exposed to the MJ, it has to be filtered. Unless you have no security concern.
So, what did we learn? You HAVE to have fresh air being brought in and taken out of the growroom. To do this you have to have a intake and exhaust. Now, if your room is still too hot, or you cant get your light close enough to the plants without burning them, you can install a air cooled reflector. Which will need its own intake and exhaust to be effecient. I hope this helps because I almost confused myself typing it....

benamucc said:
you'll prolly want to try and bring cool/fresh air INTO the room, circulate it with a small fan, or ocilating fan depending on your room size. Then EXHAUST the room through the light, and OUT. Remember your exhaust is going to smell like the ganj unless you filter it...check the DIY area for an easy/cheap Carbon filter.
Wait... are you saying only hook up the exhaust to the air cooled hood? So the intake would bring air into the grow room (NOT hooked up to the cool tube), then it would be sucked into the hood and brought out through the cool tube exhaust duct?

And I'm assuming regular cool tubes have an intake on one end of the reflector and an exhaust on the other side... the above method seems like it would be just as efficient, since the hot air from the light would be sucked away from the tops of the plants via the exhaust in the hood regardless of an intake on the other end.

Also, if cool tubes have two duct openings, how do you hook up the light without the cord getting in the way of the attached duct since it would have to fit around the light socket?

Fresca Sol....Im a firm beliver that it is the superior of cooled reflectors.....

047.jpg

Air cooled light are generally "sealed" units. You have an intake and an exhaust and no fresh air is dispensed into the room. The air moves through the ducting, over the light, and out through the ducting on the other end. I use air conditioned air to cool my light and exhaust it through the roof. The light has 2 fans--one for intake and one for exhaust. I have 2 fans (one at each end of my grow room) that bring in cool air to my grow from my crawl space. I have an exhaust fan mounted near the ceiling that draws in hot air and exhausts it out my roof. I have a oscillating fan that runs 30 min every hour. I can keep my room under 85 even when it is 100+ outside. On a recent day when temps hit 104, I was able to keep my room temps about 81.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Air cooled light are generally "sealed" units. You have an intake and an exhaust and no fresh air is dispensed into the room. The air moves through the ducting, over the light, and out through the ducting on the other end. I use air conditioned air to cool my light and exhaust it through the roof. The light has 2 fans--one for intake and one for exhaust. I have 2 fans (one at each end of my grow room) that bring in cool air to my grow from my crawl space. I have an exhaust fan mounted near the ceiling that draws in hot air and exhausts it out my roof. I have a oscillating fan that runs 30 min every hour. I can keep my room under 85 even when it is 100+ outside. On a recent day when temps hit 104, I was able to keep my room temps about 81.
Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't know there was a layer of glass between the bulb and plants sealing the reflector.

Do you have the intake duct hooked up directly to the AC unit or does it bring in air from an air-conditioned room?

yea

...................................................Hood..........................................
Fresh Air in>====Fan>====Cool Tube with Bulb inside====Fan>====Out>
...............................................Grow Room......................................
Fresh Air in>====Fan> MJ MJ MJ MJ Fan>====Carbon Filter====Out>

hope that helps

benamucc said:
jeffca, i think mp was messin with you a little bit...

you can bring in fresh air with some duct hose, attached to an intake fan, or tapped off of your HVAC system or, or, or... Then an exhaust fan connected to one side of an air cooled hood, and exhausted OUTSIDE of the "box" should be fine to keep your temps in check.

Look around in the Grow Journals and setup and design section for some ideas. Before you put any seeds in the ground make sure your temps are under control 70-80's lights on, and I like to stay above 60 in the dark, but that's ME...

thanks. so i don't need intake connected to the air cooled hood, only exhaust connected to it, to control temps? :banana:

HMGanja said:
What is being said is this: A "cool tube" or air cooled reflector SHOULD be used by itself. It[cool tube] should have its own intake(from outside), and obviously its own exhaust. And since the air cooling the light came from outside the grow room, it needs no filter. NOW, you still have to have fresh air exchange INSIDE the grow room. For this, you need a intake in the floor of grow room, or anywhere near the bottom. This can be "active" or passive. Passive just means cut a hole, and then use a big enough exhaust fan to pull in fresh air thru the intake hole. Active means to put a fan in this hole and actually force fresh air in. Either way, you need a exhaust fan with the correct CFM(cubic feet per minute) to exchange air thru the growroom. And since this air is actually being exposed to the MJ, it has to be filtered. Unless you have no security concern.
So, what did we learn? You HAVE to have fresh air being brought in and taken out of the growroom. To do this you have to have a intake and exhaust. Now, if your room is still too hot, or you cant get your light close enough to the plants without burning them, you can install a air cooled reflector. Which will need its own intake and exhaust to be effecient. I hope this helps because I almost confused myself typing it....

ya dude it helped a lot, thanks. it's alllll comin' together. :farm:

jeffca said:
thanks. so i don't need intake connected to the air cooled hood, only exhaust connected to it, to control temps? :banana:

No, you do need an intake connected to the hood. IMO, you really need to pull cool air from somewhere outside your grow space. If I did not have an intake from a cooler room, it would not cool the light enough. In the winter, I pull cold air from outside.

Latest posts

Back