Want to start a hydro grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeachWeed420

Not Your Averge Smoker
Reaction score
Hey guys I would love to start a hydro grow. I dont have a clue about anything to do with hydro. I was gonna go to the Local hydro store in the next couple weeks or so and get a 4 bucket system. I want to grow some Lowrider hybrids. My little bro grew some lowrider 2s in soil and fater is getting ready to start a new grow of lowrider 2, blue streak hybrid and Masterlow hybrid in soil. I want to be different and grow the dro. So if you guys can help me out I would be very greatful! Thx in advance!:2940th_rasta: :joint:

hiya there beachweed, question is what kind of system you wanting to do? ebb&flood is what alot recommend, dwc is great for one plant/bucket and easiest to maintain and great results, or a drip system with resevoir...all is good. lighting depends on budget, hps is recommended as long as you have the ventilation, if not...then cfl or t5 tubes-both work good.

just getting started, i'd recommend something easy so as not to get "burned out" on specifics. excuse the pun.

as far as nutes, there's alot of great stuff out there, i've been doing the cheap route, and my nutes last me a LONG time, comes with the mixtures, and i haven't got nute burn once...its a starter kit that costs 20 bucks...i'm a cheap kind of guy (my wife will attest to this).

just post what ya want to do, and EVERYONE here will jump in and tell ya how to "mcgyver" your own stuff, the D.I.Y. section has alot of information that will save ya a ton of money from germination/cloning/systems/tricks/harvesting/curing...oh, and even HOW to smoke it. shout it out bro, keep it green.

I want to be different and grow the dro.

Well, in my opinion you're choosing a harder route, just to be different. If I were you I'd go with soil for the first grow. Maybe after that try hydro.

Your lil bro has done it before so could help you out if needed.

I think that growing Hydro is the best option. If you set up your system right, you can almost treat it like an aquarium and it will require a minimum of attention and maintenance.. I myself built a nice little dripper system that is working great. got a 25 gallon res. and I add nutes every week or 2 and check the water levels in the res weekly. most the time I spend in the room i just sit there and dream of things to come. 8)..... I have tried to grow in soil before and had little success, but I also did not have enough light and was just getting started.

IF you do decide to go hydro, and you are handy in the DIY corner. Save your money and do not buy a ready made system... go to your local department store and pick up some plastic containers and build your own system... My system cost about 35 bucks to put together... compare that to a few hundred for a pre fab system..... save your money and put that towards a good light and high quality nutes.

oh and the most important thing... HAVE FUN!!!!!

Yea well my dad is S21thomas here on MarPassion and Ive helped him through the whole whit widow grow and no alot about the soil growing Im not 100% sure on what system im gonna get I just want to try it out with the lowrider as it only takes 10 weeks from seed to harvest and I love the Lowrider its such a awsome strain! Thx for all the advice guys Im off to work and will repost when I get home cuz i gotta be to work in 15 mins lol all right guys take it easy and thx again

I'm working with an ebb n flow system now. it's really not that hard, but it does take quite a bit of maintenance. I change the water in the rez once a week, and clean everything.
another downfall, is the size of the rez. and tray which takes about 2 ft. of space.

now for the goodies.
your babies will grow a bit faster, and a bit larger. (unless grown outside)
you can adjust your nutrient levels if there are any deficiencies without waiting for the next watering, or flushing.
and the number one plus, is watching them get fed without doing anything.(if set up by timer) ahh, I'm getting off of here, and sitting in my growroom now.
have fun, be safe, and like octobong said, 'EVERYONE' is here to help.

Alright what im gonna do is put my own together. Gonna order some seeds friday off the Doc. Im gonna get some different crosses of the Lowrider strain. What all do I need to get to build my own system? I was gonna get a a Rubbermad tub for the resavoir cut 4 holes in the top and get some pots to put in there. I don't no what to use as far as what the plant will be in. I seen these little Orange ball type things. Im just going to use some of my Dad's CFL's that he won't be using. I can get the airator for the resavoir for free and some other ecities as Dad works in water treatment plant. I can't weight to get started. Thx alot everyone:bong1: :tokie: :farm:

Sounds like you might be talking about a Deep Water Culture (DWC) system. They are pretty easy to put together..... along with the Hydroton (clay balls), you would want some rockwool cubes (prolly 1 inchers to get the initial seedlings started). and then you would want some net baskets to suspend the cubes and balls in the water....

That is a couple more pieces to the puzzle.

There is a couple good pics of this kind of system on this thread: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19744

Good luck and have fun )...

Latest posts

Back