Was it the Music?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Owl

Smokin' in Peace
Reaction score
Ok so I know there is probably a post on this but I have dial-up and my server is always busy, so I thought I should just post my problem.

I am growing a Train Wreck clone indoors and she is now completeing her 3wk of flowering. I have been finding a small amount of leaves that look like these.

VEGGING:
5wks in MG dirt (.21-.07-.14) & gave MG food twice (24-8-16)
Been under a 105w cfl on a 20/4 cycle
Temps - 75-85
Humidity - 40-60%
PH- 6.5-7.0
Watered as needed with drinking water

FLOWERING:
3wks in FFOF dirt (?) & given Shultz African Violet plus micronutes once (8-14-9)
Been under a 125w cfl (2wks) now under 400w hps with piped in air on a 12/12 cycle
Temps - 75-90
Humidity - 40-60%
PH - 6.5 - 7.5
watered as needed with drinking water and mountain stream water
Playing Mozart, Beethoven, Flute, and orchestra music.

This is my first grow so please help I do not want to lose her.

Mary's leaves.jpg

To tell you the truth its probably the nuits you have been giving it, they are stong in the (NPK) but are weak in the micro and macronutrients.... Why on earth would you feed them MG nuits? Im not trying to be mean here but there are 100's of threads on all sorts of forums saying "say no to miracle grow"... Schultz is on the same level as MG.... That looks to me like a magnesium and calcium defficiency... There is a reason we all spend the extra $$$ on good nutrients instead of buying a $5 box of nuits from wal-mart...

In soil your Ph should be between 6.2-6.8, so if your soil is over that it could be your issue! I no MG soil isn't very good so you might want to try another sol next time.

Phatpharmer

Looks like a deficiency of some kind. I could be wrong of course. Exactly how much nutes are you giving your plant? How many teaspoons/tablespoons. You have adequate drainage? Maybe your roots aren't uptaking any nutrients. Good luck I'm sure she'll be fine.

phatpharmer said:
In soil your Ph should be between 6.2-6.8, so if your soil is over that it could be your issue! I no MG soil isn't very good so you might want to try another sol next time.

Phatpharmer

I knew the ph was a little high but the grow supply guy said it was alright.? He sold me ph down but I haven't had to water yet so I am waiting to try it. He said I just add it to the water till the levels drop to desired level then add food and test again to ensure the levels & feed.?

I know MG isn't good and I have them in FFOF now but I think it's high in nutes. I did a soil test a couple of weeks ago. I wont use it next time!

i could be wrong on the way you were told to mix and set ph but i thik ya should add nutes first then just test. why hastle wit testin an adjusting when after you add the nutes ya ph is gonna go off whack from wat ya adjusted it to prior to addin ya nutes.

I agree. You should just buy some good nutes and stop using that other stuff you have. I never worry about ph and I've never had any problems with my plants. I wouldn't worry too much about the leaves. Remember, it is a weed and can grow in the wild just fine without your help. It will survive through it. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

yeah everyone says dont use MG. i agree
although, Mentalpatient my good buddy has wonderful
looking plants and uses MG. in fact, i believe hell be getting
the BPOTM award this month. so what does that tell you?

white owl- just fill a container with 3 times as much water as the pot of the plant. so if your plants in a 3 gallon pot say, youll need 9 gals of water. Now that you have your 3 times the pot size amount, use that pH down the guy gave you. ONLY if you have a ph tester. i was using the color test kit kind but they arnt the greatest so a digital one if possible. So, slowly drop in pH down and test the ph of the water until the ph is around 6.2-6.5.
when it is, slowly give the water to your plant without stopping. Your plant will then be flushed, hopefully this will fix your problem.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Looks like a deficiency of some kind. I could be wrong of course. Exactly how much nutes are you giving your plant? How many teaspoons/tablespoons. You have adequate drainage? Maybe your roots aren't uptaking any nutrients. Good luck I'm sure she'll be fine.

Ok I have only given them the one shot of Schultz African Violet plus micronutes. (8-14-9). I fed as directed 1/8 teaspoon per quart. I gave her the whole quart and no more.
When I transplanted I placed a layer of rocks as suggested under the FFOF soil.?
How do you get the roots to uptake the nutes?

whiteowl.. you went and spent good money on good dirt, then poured crap/chemical nutrients into it..;) "IMHO".. defeating the purpose of buying the higher quality soil.
Chemicals often kill the beneficial organisms in organic soils.
FFOF will support/supply plants for a 'minimum' of 3 weeks, without any added nutrients. FLUSH and aquire some quality food for the ladies.

thedonofchronic said:
the roots arnt uptaking the nutrients
because your pH is too high.
I think you may have hit on something there.. "if" I recall corectly, a freekin' violets :p(African) like a really high ph. Probably incorperated into the nutrients..

yeah exactly, white owl how would you look if
someone was controlling your meals and when you get them
you only get dog food. yknow?
marijuana is not at all like other plants. it needs food designed for it.

Hick said:
whiteowl.. you went and spent good money on good dirt, then poured crap/chemical nutrients into it..;) "IMHO".. defeating the purpose of buying the higher quality soil.
Chemicals often kill the beneficial organisms in organic soils.
FFOF will support/supply plants for a 'minimum' of 3 weeks, without any added nutrients. FLUSH and aquire some quality food for the ladies.

:eek: OK! OK! OK!:48: LOL
I only used what I had at my disposal for the moment! When I got paid I went to my local grow supply store & got some OMRI PURA VIDA ORGANICS - BLOOM (2-6-6).
So I did a flush 2 days ago when she is ready for watering (according to my 2 prong 3 in 1 meter) I will give her the new nutes. The guy at the store said it was ok to feed it with every watering at 3 tsp per gal? Thanks for advice!:)

Thanks Guys!

She looks much happier after the Pura Vida organic Bloom food and she smells great too. I appreciate all the advice!

thedonofchronic said:
the roots arnt uptaking the nutrients
because your pH is too high.

Nuff said.

Check your run off ph, and get yourself to 6.5, whether that means giving a lower ph to get it down.

Dont feed em between ph ranges just stick to 6.5 when youve got it all balanced.

Too much fluctuation up or down will cause the plant to lock up or stop uptaking the avilable nutes leading to deficiencies.

Get the ph in balance and go from there :)

Well I gave her a good flushing, then a good dose of the Flora Vida - Bloom and we are off to a GREAT First Grow and a Fantastic BUDDING!!!!!
:woohoo:

I am so THANKFUL for all the good advice that has been given to me and the fast responses as well!
This forum is a WONDERFUL idea for all who grow so cheers to the creators!
:clap:

So here are the new pics on Mary she is now 8wks old and in her 4th week of flowering.
I was wondering if I trim back any of her foliage so that the underneath buds can get better light?

Mary 1.jpg

Mary 2.jpg

Dont trim cos those leaves are your solar panels for energy.
The lower buds are never as developed as the tops without lower lighting.

If your thinking about a lack light get more light.

Is your light air cooled and how close to the plant tops is it?
Apologese if youve mentioned i'm rushing by :p

Glad the girls are healthy :clap: congrats and good luck.
Anyone of us is happy to help mate thats the way we roll :giggle:

ATB

Just as a second thought instead of trimming move the branches out of the way if you feel it neccesery.
Pull them across with string to the pot or stake etc :) ;)
NB

No I don't have a air cooled hps set up, however I do have air conditioning piped into the box. I have the 400hps bulb about 12 - 18 inches as it doesn't get too hot. She has already been tied back as much as she will let me. The bub formations are very tight nugs with short distances apart. Oh and the smell in my room is just making me want to smoke her!!!!!! I know patience is my virtue.

Latest posts

Back