Was wondering about what size light to get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo

Reaction score
K im thinking of building a new grow box but ive never realy messed with hid lighting. Im going to make my box out of a standard storage cab
32w 24d and 72 high so 6 square feet. I want to split in to 2 chambers flower and veg, and i want to keep all the hardwear inside the cab ive planed on puting in a 4 inch exaust fan and filter to help keep temps down but i dont now how hot this things gonna get ? Im gonna split the cabnet with the flower being 4 ft high and the veg 2 ft so i was thinking a 250 watt mh for the veg and 400 hps for the flower .

So i guess im asking do u think im gonna cook my babys?

i its gonna get pretty hot in there ,,i would go with air cooled reflector hoods for flower ,,,and flos for veg ,,with it being only 2ft high theres not much room for any height if you put in a mh ....:peace:

Heck no, before I finished reading I was thinkin' a 430w and a 250w hps. I'd go for a conversion mh in veg and 430 hps two weeks into bloom (this seems to minimize internodal lengthening). Hope this helps more so then confuses. Peace, bud.

Ya i was thinking of floros for the veg but tubes never seemed to get enough lit to the plan and i dont wanna spend $200 in cfls to get the lumens i need so im gonna have to think a bout that 1 . As for the flower i got a air cooled hood when i bought my 1000 watt hps but i never turned the thing on the plan i got ready for wound up going sour. So i know i can use the hood to cool just got to get a reducer to get the plumbing down to 4in

Any other ideas about this set would be helpfull give me some options

i would go with a t5 floro strip for the veg chamber. being roughly 2 2/3'W x 2'D x 2'H, you really need all the space you can get; and a floro fixture has a small profile compared to a MH setup. the floros will also use alot less power, and less heat. for flowering the 1000w hps is pppllleeennntttyyy of light for your area, but as long as you can keep the temps down its gunna rule.

4' flourescent strips mounted vertically on the sides and back of your veg. from the top.

say (6) 2 lamp t-10 40w jobbers will give you a cool 240w of vegging light and minimal heat issues.

Home depot has Lithonia 4' 40w T-10 two lamp fixtures for $9. you could do your whole veg side for around $75 with the lamps

7greeneyes said:
Heck no, before I finished reading I was thinkin' a 430w and a 250w hps. I'd go for a conversion mh in veg and 430 hps two weeks into bloom (this seems to minimize internodal lengthening). Hope this helps more so then confuses. Peace, bud.
If he has two chambers, why would you recommend a HPS with a MH conversion? Why not just the regular MH for the veg area?

clanchattan said:
4' flourescent strips mounted vertically on the sides and back of your veg. from the top.

say (6) 2 lamp t-10 40w jobbers will give you a cool 240w of vegging light and minimal heat issues.

Home depot has Lithonia 4' 40w T-10 two lamp fixtures for $9. you could do your whole veg side for around $75 with the lamps

he doesnt have 4'...

VERTICALLY he do.........if he splits his cabinet into two tall........ aah never mind. im an a$$

Home depot has 32" flos for $7 it still works

i think your original idea was best. for only 6 sq ft and 4' height a 1000W will fry the plants. use a 400W, maybe 600 is hood is aircooled, plus heat will be less problem with 400W. a few CFLs for veg will be better if your veg room is only 2' tall

iClown said:
CFLs. 10 bucks a light.
Yes..??? but as it has been proven here many times... watt per watt, lumen per lumen..cfl's /flourescents are 'less' efficient than HID's.
meaning you are going to have to burn 'more' wattage, in order to provide the same/sufficient lumen.
If you can provide proper ventilation for cooling the area, 400 all the way.. "hands down"..
40 watt cfl = 2,500 L ...or 20 of the $10 lights burning 800 watts..:confused2: in order to equal..
a 400 w/HPS = 50,000 L slight overkill for 6 sq ft, but better "IMHO" than $200 worth of cfls...
($200 does not include sockets or reflectors.. I believe you can still purchase a 400 hps, "plug 'n play" for about $100)

Personally, I think the cabinet you intend to use is too small to accomplish seperate veg and flower spaces. Can you even fit a hood into that cabinet? If you're at 24" deep OD, the ID can't be any more than 23" if it's constructed with 1/2" material. If you have only 72" ID height to work with- cut in 2 sections of 4' high and 2' high- after you account for hood size, and fans- how much height will you have left for your plants? If they're in a 6" pot- which is really too small for flower- with a 12" hood, 6" clearance from the light- your plants can only reach a flower height of 2'. You'll need to do some serious lst. You'll be fighting heat issues throughout the grow.
BTW- you're area is 5.333 sq. feet- a 400 watt HPS would give you over 8000 lumens per square foot. That's some pretty good coverage and should give some good results.
I would veg in the cabinet, then flower. Unless you're looking for small yield. Good luck to you.

well it was a metal cabnet 22gauge so inside diminsions is close to 24d and 36 wide but i think the wife is gonna loose her walkin closet and the 1k watts gonna find a home thanks for the help guys and gals

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
If he has two chambers, why would you recommend a HPS with a MH conversion? Why not just the regular MH for the veg area?
Misread...er..sorry..I have to use a small space myself so I use mh into first two weeks then switch to hps for the rest of bloom to minimize stretch and plus you'd have the hps for a stronger source of bloom lumens. No need to invest in a MH ballast when an HPS is more efficient.Thats' how I figured it...course I am working a standard four hours of sleep, here. My dendrites r probably misfiring.

Latest posts

Back