Wattage, Lumens, what to use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BdoubleOend

Virgin Grower
Reaction score
hi, im setting up a grow cabinet and trying to figure out what lights to use. The space I would like to use for veg and flowering is about 4.4 sqft... My thoughts was going with a 250 or 400watt HPS for flowering, and a 200watt sunblaster fluorescent for veg... also i have a small space i would like to use for seedlings and clones thats about 1.6 sqft, and am wondering if i could use a single 42w fluorescent for that... i been doing the math and looks like my wattage would be fine but my lumens are low... :confused: im new to this and trying to figure out what to buy, and input would be great, thanks

250 watt should normally give you enough to flower this space, why you say not enough lumens? i suggest you go with a single 250watt switchable so you can switch from MH to HPS when ypu wana flower cuz it's only 50watts more than the 200w fluros you wana get so you can save some money and get better light if you go with that, a 42w is well enough for that cloning seeding space, hope this helps ;)

thanks, i appreciate it...im going to get a lumatek 250 with a HPS and MH bulb, sounds easier then what I was thinking lol...

another question

for the clone/seedling space im thinking i should get a muffin fan for exhaust, should i get one for intake? or just have a opening for fresh air to come in?

also i have a vortex 4" inline fan and carbon filter... should i get something to control the speed of the fan?

BdoubleOend said:
should i get one for intake? or just have a opening for fresh air to come in?
yeah you don't need another intake fan just an opening for intake

im thinking of just using CFLs now and not a ballast... any idea how many or what type i should use?

if you want some decent bud you need to flower with hps. cfl will give you very little yield with the same power usage and higher price to buy

cool, i got people telling me to cheap out....but i rather spend more on lighting and yield more....thanks

BdoubleOend said:
cool, i got people telling me to cheap out....but i rather spend more on lighting and yield more....thanks

dem people arent the ones putting the love nor have the knowlege to grow good weed...
if you can fit the 250w go with that you'll be happier with the end product..
LH:D

4 foot square or

2ft x 2 ft, I would go with a 250w HPS, 4 inch vortex style fan(I use Sunleaves brand and love em), and if you can manage it, a vented hood or cool tube type setup.

If not a batwing style reflector is perfectly OKAY. There are place that you CAN go cheap, however...there is an old saying, "you get what you put into it." That also rings true with growing great marijuana.Nobody that is growing with CFL"S in a shoebox or cardboard box, or whatever will EVER be happy with their setup.

You have the space for an HID. Get a 250w HPS.
make sure that your closet(I'm assuming here), has proper intake openings as you should be using a passive intake in that small of space.Meaning no fan sucking in air from outside.

Here are some other thoughts.

If you are using a closet, seal the door with weatherstripping, and screw a door stop into the bottom of the door frame and weatherstrip that as well to ensure a tight seal.

Make sure you have some type of oscillating fan and a PROPER exhaust fan to ensure negative pressure and air movement in the room. This will keep your humidity, and temperature under control.

Hope this helps. Don't cheap out and you will grow enough KB in that space to keep you happy. Try to find a bigger clone space if you can, if you can't work with what you have. A couple of 42w cfl's in there would provide enough light to keep seedlings from stretching too hard and be soft enough to promote healthy rooting of clones.

Happy growing.

Latest posts

Back