What Do You Guys Think..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTR420

Reaction score
Not bad for being put in on Oct. 2,3,4. Im usin a 40w energy saving bulb and Miracle Gro Organic Soil.

DSCI0063.JPG

DSCI0064.JPG

hey i replied to you earlier... ur bottom para sounds like a song..ya know ya know ya know...lol...looking better than I would have expected for what u r using good luck!

lol yea its from So High by the KottonMouth Kings, yea ive listened and researched a lot in this forum, but some stuff I juss do on my own n take a chance w. what I got, so its lookin pritty good I think. I got the light on about 24hrs some days i take it off 4 8hrs, every 3 days i give em 10-15-10 liquid plant food with some blood meal mixed in water until i get nutes. A fan every now n then with reflective material around em 24-7. im juss hopn 2 keep goin strong n get the males out so the girls can have more light : )

that a lot of nutes...especially is the soil has it b careful with the babies.

gotchya, well I made a post last week of how often to give em nutrients n wat not but no1 helpd me so i juss did small amts, ive only fed em twice so far, the liquid says to use 7 drops with a quart of water n i only use 3 with a good amt of water each plants n small amt of bloodmeal. i wanna stop usin that n see if i can get some liquid nutes w. a higher N level so its easier n im afraid the bloodmeal may not disinegrate it may jus sit in the soil not sure, but they r doing fine still so Idk. thnx 4 the help tho man, every1 is free 2 ask ?'s or give pointers

I think it looks real green and happy. they look fine to me :hubba:. Mabey i will try Miracle grow soil also. Thanks man for the pictures.

Hey man your babies look really good. I argee with everyone about the nutes. I use MG soil for my first grow and all was well for a while so i starting adding some vegg nutes. everthing looked great then one day it all went wrong. only was able to save 2 out of 6. the 2 i saved never really got 100% better untill i changed my soil. I always suggest 50% cheap potting soil, 40% pete moss, and 10% peralite. it works great for me but like you already stated; sometime you have to do things on your own. and thats really the best part of growing. trying little things and seeing what happens. happy growing man...oh and get sum more light. CFL's are great man i love them

niice sublime..lol yea i wuld like 2 have more light but tryin 2 keep the electric bill down. but yea def diff nutes and soil wuld b tough 2 change now. ill see how it goes tho man. thnx 4 the input. Good soil is hard 2 find, I was lookin 4 fox farm but none around here. im gonna get an HPS for flowering tho..green thots :D

I have to agree with the others on electric usage. The power company is not going to mess with you as long as you pay your bill on time, and power consumption is not double or triple "normal" usage overnight. If you want to increase your amount of lights, think ramping up gradually.

Sorry if this is off topic, but about 6 weeks ago I started my second grow and used smithgrow's soil formula, (50% potting soil, 40% peat moss, 10% perolite). I like the "soft" soil, (as opposed to just top soil- which was very dense). I have not added any fertilizer so far, and I have 3 plants that are doing very well, (IMHO, lol).

i'd say the simplest light upgrade you can do would be to get one of the 65W flourex floodlights from home depot.... you'll only add 25W of power and get way higher amounts of light....

STAFF EDIT.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100010739&navFlow=3&keyword=65%2Bwatt%2Bfluorex%2Bfloodlight&langId=-1&searchRedirect=65+watt+fluorex+floodlight&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.catalog.beans.EndecaDataBean%4031fae1a&ddkey=THDStoreFinder[/url]

alright thnx, I actually messed up, its a 160w bulb and only uses 40w, but I did buy some flood lights from lowes, but i didn't like how much light it put out, I didnt think it would be good enuff.

all that means is that it only consumes 40W of electricity.... but it emits the equivalent of 160W Incandescent bulb.... the only real number of concern there is the consumption.... for growing purposes, in my opinion, the "equivalent to" number is worthless....

where it comes in handy is around the house when you're changing out your bulbs.... if you go pull a bulb out of a socket i'd assume it's probably a 60W.... that seems to be about the norm for incandescent house bulbs.... you can get a 12W bulb with a 60W equivalent to replace it.... you'll have the same amount of usable light for reading or watching tv, but only use 1/5 of the electricity for that particular bulb.... helps when you're trying to lower your electric bill to replace all incandescents with lower wattage cfl's that emit the equivalent in light....

the model from home depot is rated at 4550 lumens according to the box.... i have no clue about the output for your bulb, but i'd estimate between 2200-2600 lumens.... that's almost double the light output for only adding 25 watts....

UTR420 said:
alright thnx, I actually messed up, its a 160w bulb and only uses 40w, but I did buy some flood lights from lowes, but i didn't like how much light it put out, I didnt think it would be good enuff.

No, you were right the first time--this is a 40W bulb. As fleshstain mentioned, the equivalent wattage is a useless number. You are going to need substantially more light. I recommend that you do some reading on lighting. You need to purchase the correct type and spectrum light or it will be useless. Don't just buy a light without knowing what you are buying. What kind of "flood lights" did you buy?

The light im using now puts out 2600 lumens, those flood lights r energy efficient too, theyre 26w. n only 1300 lumens, thats y im not using em. they dont really have real high wattage bulbs @ lowes. once i get the males out ill b able 2 give all the light 2 w.e females I have. from the 2 to 24th, is it 2 early to try 2 sex em? or juss keep doin wat im doin? 24, sumtimes 16-8

if you check that link i put up it's the exact floodlight i'm talking about.... if you've got a lowe's, you've got a home depot....

as for the sexing, i'd just keep doing what you're doing....

always remember, as Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part!"

yes, waiting does suck, but it brings me joy every morning i wake up n look @ the progress. : )

utr420 slow down on the nutes. that soil is rich in "organics". it also looks pretty heavy. you might thiink of adding some perlite, maybe 30% by volume. seedlimgs dont need food for a month to 6 wks IMO. just wait for em 2 tell you when they r hungry. blood meal also works better in soil when u trnsplant or steeped in a tea. sorry for bombarding you i once used this soil for about 2 wks, but yes they look akright as of now. my keyboard needs a cleanig. i got sticky keys

alright thnx, Ive asked a few times of what 2 do about nutes, but no1 answered me, ive only used small amts, but ill let em go n juss use water. Wouldnt it b 2 late 2 mix other stuff in w. my soil cuz im sure the roots r pretty much grown through out. thnx again

just mix your organic ammendments in your flowering pots when you re-pot. or use as a top dressing in flowering in very beginning.

Latest posts

Back