what sez you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codybear

Reaction score
for christmas, I went to hobby lobby and bought my kids each a little garden greenhouse, self watering deal. uses perilite i believe and has the wick to do the self watering. (at the time they were really disappointed). About 1 month ago, we started normal flowers in this contraption and they look great. Would starting my turtle shells in this cos a problem when transplanting to dirt???? I like the idea cos in the past, i have always had problem with stem rot which i reckon is from over watering. this seems to eliminate that problem. Maye i could even use dirt inplaace of perilite.....Watering can be tricky, especially if you get overzealous and spend too much time with your seedlings.

I'm a little confused...What is the medium for the starter greenhouse that brings so much concern?

sorry, i type faster than i think. perlite. the white stuff generally added to soil to, well, er, whatever it do.

sorry man...the link does not compute. Now, I'm pretty new to this too, but to be honest; I've never hear of pure perlite. I'm also gathering its a hydro system. If that be the case, I can't help you. Never started hydro. I want to learn one medium at a time.

Welcome aboard cody'..
"Cute" li'l ydro house there. I'm ignorant to hydro, too, but.. perlite is easy to work with..IMHO.
It floats in water, so by dunking/immersing your roots in water, it effectively suspends the perlite. Allowing you to pick the plant, roots and all, right out of the perlite and transplant into soil.
I've started useing straight perlite for all of my cuttings. I try to spread the roots out, somewhat naturally, while adding soil dureing the transplant.

Latest posts

Back