What to do when it gets cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ManMafia

Okay, I have to say I've been blessed with great end of September and early October weather so far in IL. But the forecast is showing temps drop, it was 77 degrees yesterday but today is only a high of 60 and it's under 60 the rest of the week. At night it's getting around 40 degrees.

I was told to let grow until November so I figured Halloween would be the perfect day to harvest... that way a sack over your shoulder isn't suspcious you know?...

Should I pick them now / soon? Wait it out or is there something I can do to help the decrease in temps?... Next week looks to be predicted above 60 degrees every day but I'm sure the week after that it'll get real cold real fast... what do I do? What temps are threatening?.. I heard below 40 is really bad, which it's been getting close to at night.

I have the same problem. Temps are around the same and I know it is going to get really cold real soon. All we can do is hold out as long as possible. If it freezes, we will just have to see how well MJ does in those temps. I have until december before my plants are ready for harvest. If they don't make it that far I will be upset but that's what happens. Just let them go as far as they can.:watchplant:

Growth slows down in the 50's I think. 40's can kill a plant. If it freezes ... well, they won't take much of that.

no techniques in helping plants stay warm?... No certain foods or anything?... Also when should you stop feeding a plant plant food?

Low temps also bring on the dreaded bud rot so keep a eye out for that..

I live at almost 5000 feet near Lake Tahoe Ca. and my white widow had ice haning from it several mornings and it was fine. It might have quickend maturity a bit, but it turned out great.

Most strains will survive several "light" frosts. It usually requires a few hours of below freezing temps before serious damage occurs.
Below about 60 F, their mettabolism/growth slows significantly, but as long as your daytime temps warm up...and your rootzone remains warm, 30'sF won't kill them.
It "is" helpfull to covr them at night during an exceptional cold snap. Try to build a tent that doesn't touch the plant and reaches all the way to the ground.

What is the best material to use? Should I just make a canopy or does the material have to go all the way around the plant(s)?...

It's going to be highs from 62 - 50 degrees

lows from 45 - 35 degrees

is it pulling time?... They were very healthy last time I check them about 10 days ago, I'm going to go check them right now so I'll get back to you on thier current status?...

Should I be feeding them still? I heard you should stop feeding and watering your plants all together a certain time before you pull them. I plan on pulling them on Halloween, maybe a little bit into Novemeber depending on the weather and if thier progress continues to be significant or not

If it doesn't drop below 35, "I" wouldn't even concern myself.
A blanket, or tarp..something wi h "some" insulating property is best.

Hick is right on the money. I my self use 25 degrees as a guide. 30 degrees wont kill a plant unless its 30degrees all night long. An hour or two won`t do much harm. I think cool temps just make the sap store in the buds. Slim

hmmm... A wool blanket??? perhaps.... with a tarp over for water fall

Latest posts

Back