Whats been going on with me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheStickyIcky

Fear and Loathing.
Reaction score
A friend and I were riding fourwheelers two sundays ago (we race motocross) and we popped over a hill almost full speed and hit head on. We were then airlifted to the hospital for treatment.

They said to do the damage to our bodies that we did it had to be an impact of around 100 mph (speed of 50 each). Easily attained on our bikes set up for racing. Combined they said we broke the three hardest bones in our body. I broke my sternum (and bruised my heart and various other organs) and Aaron broke his jaw and shoulder blade. I feel so lucky that we are alive. My buddy put his helmet on 10 minutes before the wreck after not having it on all day. He broke his jaw in 2 places with a helmet on. That impact without a helmet would have easily killed him.

I had such a severe concussion (or maybe I was in total shock) that I don't remember anything from seeing him right before our wreck until I was in the ER and they were sewing my tongue. But, from what everyone said I was awake and talking. I don't remember anything. AT ALL. They said I was saying crazy things. I asked the EMT if he said he was going to kick my a$$. They said I was cussing out the female EMT. I told her that this was my 3rd fourwheeler wreck trip to the hospital in the past month and she said "it sounds like you are having a bad month" and I said "RIGHT NOW I'M HAVING A BAD ******* DAY". They said I kept saying "I love you, I'm not going to make it." Over and over again. My other friend that was riding with us said when he made it to the scene I was up and taking my jersey off, but I couldn't breathe because my goggles were over my nose/mouth. Why I was taking my jersey off and not my helmet I'll never know. The only thing I do remember at the actual scene is I woke up when they were putting me on the helicopter and said "I don't fly" and they said "You do today." Apparently I was so uncooperative that they were trying to tie my hands with gauze like a makeshift handcuff.

They cut all my clothes off in the helicopter. They said when I got to the ER these female doctors came in and I said "I'm naked under this sheet, if you don't care, I don't." Haha. Then they proceeded to put the first stitch in my tongue with no numbing which they said was standard procedure. I told them I wanted to be numb so I wouldn't feel the next 7. How is there room for 8 stitches in your tongue anyway? While in the hospital they woke me up every hour to check my vitals and took blood every four hours to check my cardio enzymes. It sucked. I could never get any rest. I was in the hospital for 3 days. I was drained by the time I got out.

I've been out for about a week and a half. I feel much better now. I was miserable for about a week. I thought I was going to die the first day I was home. I couldn't really eat for about 4 days, you would be surprised how hard it is to eat with a mouth full of stitches. I never want to see soup or pudding again. I slept a lot and was pretty sedated on pain killers. I'm still not right. I hurt. I can't stand or sit for long periods of time. I think there is some unforeseen damage to my shoulder and elbow. Might just be heavily bruised. That top of that arm was numb and the upper inside of that arm and my side were also numb.

Here is the rundown. I walked away with a broken sternum (breastbone), bruised heart (and other things), a gash in my wrist and nerve damage in that arm/side, and stitches in my tongue. My friend broke his back, shoulder blade, a bone in his neck, his jaw in 2 places, stitches in his knee and has severe nerve damage in his arm. He can still only feel the top 5 inches of it. His jaw is wired shut and will be for 6 weeks and he has to wear a protector on his abdomen along with a neck brace for 3 months. PLEASE PRAY FOR HIM! I want him to be back to 100% as soon as possible. I feel terrible because I feel like I'm the cause of his pain. I would gladly switch spots with him. I wish I could take his pain on.

Sorry this is so long if you made it this far. I just wanted to tell my story. :(

Our bodies are amazing things, I hope you both make a full recovery, although it sounds like its going to take a long time.

hi sticky you and ur friend has all of my prays,,,,hope u2 recovery pretty quickly

Sounds like your bodies are taking mighty fine care of yous, keep faith that they'll heal with time. :aok:

i had a snow machine accident when i was 14, crashed into a floatplane on the lake goin at least 60mph, had a concussion the size of a pop can. i'd be dead without that helmet i had on. i think the concussion tweeked my mentality and personality a little but nothing severe. anyhow, you and your friend will be in me prayers. good luck on the recovery.
ps; lasagna is really good in a blender!

you guys can do it. your pulling trough already, now be there to support your friend. god speed my friend...

had something similar happened to me. helmet on and everything. another rider struck me on my side at about 40 mph. broke my femur, pelvis, cracked the ball joint on my opposite hip. major concussion and messed up a few vertebrates... took me a good 6 months man. i dropped the pain killers as fast as i could and anti-inflammatory meds.

they made me feel like crap...

my family members has always took my, (MINE) motorcycles, atv, moped, I has to stop buying it, they was scared to see me get hurts, when I read that story, even hearing other friends s stories like yours, it remind me to give good thanks to my family members for keeping me from getting hurt like that... sometime I got away, and got hurt, little minors all that... but same time I sure heck know ya both did has a blast!! and ya both is in my prayer,

btw, I do have some friends that died by motorcycle accidents, some is by drunk drivers, grrr. please drink responsible!!

Hope you get better soon and stay off those damn bikes. ;) :p

Sorry to hear about your accident. Be patient with all this, it will take lots of time perhaps.

Be careful wit the pain meds. They really are addictive.

i feel your pain man. i've been ridin since i was 3 years old, got my firts 3 wheeler honda 70. lots of broken bones and alot of nights in the hospital. did the motorcross thing for a while then while tryin a stupid trick several years ago done major damage to my left leg and spine. four wheeler came down on me upside down from about 40 feet in the air. was out for a week. its amazing how fast something can go real wrong even if your a skilled rider.

i hope you and your friend heal up soon with no lastin damage. it sucks to not be able to ride like i once did. good luck man your in my prayers

im glad to hear you both had on helmets. i've lost friend due to not wearing helmets. stay safe

Latest posts

Back