Whats the best way to keep plants small

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeSmot420

Reaction score
Would it be better to LST grow or SCROG grow or could I do both at the same time?

Both same time

take care and be safe

:yeahthat:

depends on what you're planning to do with them.... if you just want to keep them small or short, like 4u2 said, do both....

i just basically want to have small plants for stealth with decent yields

do a google search for "bonsai marijuana plants" and check out some of those plants.... i've kept some moms in "bonsai" form in the past.... they lived in 6" square pots for over 6 months and i was able to take 10-12 cutting from each one per month.... when i finally repotted them and put them into flower they were from 15-18" tall....

What if I vegged the plant only until it was about 15" tall and then forced it to flower with the 12/12 schedule, would that work or would my yield suffer.

usually, longer veg = larger yield.... i think there's way more to it than that though....

google "Humboldt Countys Own Bushmaster" you can pretty much stop growth at whatever height you want.

I just bought the Bushmaster because of a Super Silver Haze monster that was just a bit too unruly for my height restrictions in my room. Let me tell you the stuff is awesome, stopped the stretch dead in her tracks and I actually think it induced flowering a bit more. Anyone looking to keep a sativa dominant strain smaller might wanna look into this product.

I grow in soil(Pro-Mix BX actually which is "soiless", whatever that means) and followed the "Fort Bragg" suggestion that was on my bottle, it called for 4ml/gallon and then flush it out like 8 hours later with water. I went with 3ml/gal and then flushed it out with 2 gallons plain ph'd water about 8 hours later. I got her in an old kitty litter bucket I would say is 4 gallons. Put the pot in a larger clothes hamper and shop vacced the runoff out. Well a week later from dosing her with the Bushmaster, basically the stretch was stopped in her tracks and budsites dramatically started to develop like overnight. I havent had any burn or ram horns many report when using the Bushmaster and I believe it was from flushing her 8 hours later like the "Ft. Bragg" suggestion called for.

Im excited about this new product in my arsenal of weapons, hehe. I may try growing varieties I never thought I could ever grow because of my height restrictions, stuff like Neville's Haze and even Flying Dutchmans Original Haze I have a 3 year old pack of but have been afraid to grow indoors. Also, Im gonna try dosing my outdoor guerilla ladies next year around July 15th and see if forces them into flower quicker, meaning I harvest before the shitty weather of October comes and rippers and cops go looking for dope.

Do your research but if you are looking to keep an even canopy in a SOG grow of multiple strains, Id say Bushmaster is something to look into, or if you got a plant like I did stretching into your HPS, this stuff can save your butt if you dont have room to tie over, supercrop, Lst, etc.

Edit: One thing is I wish my hydro store carried the 4 oz bottle, because the 8oz bottle was $35 and Im just a hobby grower that grows for my smoke only pretty much, real small growspace, that I usually do 1 or 2 seedplants or like 4-8 clones depending on strain, at the rate I will be using this stuff, I will have to pass it down to my grandchildren because Im never gonna use the whole bottle, lol. Less is more with this stuff as the bottle says.

:yeahthat: :aok:

Yuppers... Bushmaster is an AWESOME tool to have in your indoor garden shed! ;) In the last half a year I've used BM on about a half dozen different strains and had great success. I grow in soil and I compost and re-use my soil so I wouldn't want any residual "growth inhibitor" left after my grow so I've opted to use BM only with foliar applications and I've been really happy with my results. And the rate is ridiculously low... 1ml/Gallon! That's 20 drops with an eyedropper... and I tend to mix up about a quart at a time... 5 drops! :rolleyes: At this rate I'll have enuf for about 10,000 clones...:p I got the 4oz bottle online...

Another great thing about Bushmaster is the active ingredient is [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ascophyllum Nodosum (Sea KELP!) which is proven to be beneficial to plants and animals... humans too! When using as a foliar spray they suggest first giving your plants foliar application and watering with Liquid Kelp products such as MaxiCrop and Nitrozyme a couple days before application and then applying the BM in a couple of foliar applications over 4-5 days for indica and indica dominant strains, alternating with i.e. MaxiCrop/Nitrozyme foliar sprayings. For Sativa dom strains I give them 3 or 4 spray applications over about 8 days... depending on how much sativa appears to be present in the pheno.

The plants that I've used Bushmaster on usually grow about another 4-8" after the applications depending on how much indica/sativa they have and then they put on the brakes with all upward growth. I've only used it on clones but I have some Super Silver Haze and Super Lemon Haze seeds and a Lemon Skunk seed that I'll be popping for my next flowering round in Feb and I'll be using it on those leggier sativa dominant strains... I've used it mostly right when I switch my plants to 12/12 but I've had decent results using it a couple of weeks into 12/12 too... Bushmaster lets me veg my plants longer/larger and then throw on the brakes for upward growth regardless of strain. It makes sativas so much more manageable imo! ;)

Happy Growing!:cool:
[/FONT]

PokeSmot420 said:
i just basically want to have small plants for stealth with decent yields
get the right strain for SOG or scrog if you can keep bonsai moms you can clone a big number of clones and flower them early (sea of green) you should expect you plants to double or more in size durin flowering so your 15" plant would be 30"+ at end of flowering thats not a small plant you might wana increase the number of plants flowr them earlier get smaller plants

Dirtyolsouth,

I may end up switching to foliar feeding in the future because I also like to re-use my soil, of course I add new perlite, more Pro-Mix, guano and mycorrhizae at transplants. This batch in the kitty litter pot though is probably useless and will get pitched. Im also intrigued with the sea kelp and Im looking into some of the products you mentioned and Im also thinking about trying HCO's other products, Gravity and Purple Maxx. Right now I basically only use Fox Farms liquid line and some guano in the soil as well as teas at the end of my flowering cycles before harvest.

I used this BM on my SSH about 10 days into 12/12, she was stretching unbelievably and Im really surprised at how well the BM worked. Normally she would stretch for at least another 2 weeks. I love my sat dom strains and my wife likes indy dom stuff, now Im pretty excited because Im going to be able to run them together I think now because I should be able to keep the canopy even, I tried doing it before and it was a mess. Super Lemon Haze may be my next seed purchase, Im not a huge fan of GHS but I just gotta try that herb since its a cup winner 2 years running. SSH is probably my fave overall and she is a 3 year winner so I gotta try the SLH. I got my SSH beans from Mr. Nice though.

I have not used the Bush Master, so I can't comment on that, but I wanted to say that I have used the other products from Humboldt Counties Own, line, with phenominal success. The Gravity, and ultra snowstorm did wonders to my Afghani #1, and I know that it was these products, because they were the only new additives to the line up that I use, and I had been growing this strain for over 10 yrs, the increase in yeild, and resin production was unbelievable. If the BM is anything like these products, I'm sure it works wonders.

legalize_freedom said:
I have not used the Bush Master, so I can't comment on that, but I wanted to say that I have used the other products from Humboldt Counties Own, line, with phenominal success. The Gravity, and ultra snowstorm did wonders to my Afghani #1, and I know that it was these products, because they were the only new additives to the line up that I use, and I had been growing this strain for over 10 yrs, the increase in yeild, and resin production was unbelievable. If the BM is anything like these products, I'm sure it works wonders.

Thats good to hear L_F, Im not surprised though, this company seems to be putting out some great bloom enhancers/develepors. My hydro store didnt carry the Snowstorm but it sounds like something I might wanna add to my wish list, the gravity I will be picking up this weekend. I bet the gravity made those Afghanis rock hard, I would of been scared to give it to an Afghani, that is a strain that already produces rocks for nuggets. Great strain, you cant go wrong with Afghani #1, I grew out sensi seeds' Maple Leaf Indica(pre-Soviet invasion Afghani) and was really surprised by the potency of it and my wife absolutely loved it for her menstrual cramps.

And yeah the BM really is awesome, wish I knew about it a long time ago.

The snowstorm is basically the same as the purple max if I understand right, its just made for other strains than the purple ones I believe. Man I had that Af #1 for a long time, and let a freind take it over when I had to take a break, he decided to stress to get a hermi to self pollinate, (he read an article on femenized seeds) so when I got the genetics back all the seeds I got were invaded with about 30% or more hermis...I originally thought about trying to breed that trait out, and then woke up one day and said screw this, and yanked them all, and chucked the rest of the seeds...why waste my time, risk compromising the rest of my grow, to try and fix this, when I can start all over with a new bag of beans...so I'm trying to decide what solid indica I want to use to replace them. What sucks is after growing them for so long, I could tell which pheno's were going to be good within a few weeks of growth...now I have to learn another strain all over again...lol..live and learn!

I'm leaning toward the purple kush...I hear so much good stuff about it...but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Latest posts

Back