When will i be rootbound (approximately)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycloneare1

Reaction score
Ok i have two 2-gallon pots and i am well aware that i will have to transplant before it is all over with, however i am not sure how long i have before my plants will be rootbound and i am not confident i will be aware of it when they are...i know its hard to guess but what would your closest [guess] be to when i will need to transplant? more info and pictures of my plants (and the pots in question) are in my grow journal linked in my signature...

How old are they and what size pots do you have them in now?

Usualy when there root bound and ready for transplant they give some signs. One of which is droopy leave's kind of like what you get when you over water, and second of which is slow growth, i find you also have to water almost on a daily basis or at least every other day. So look for these sign' and you'r be alright. Peace and Love!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Roken.

i look for the roots coming out the drain holes...2 months sounds right...my final container is 5 gallon..but I start in rockwool..then 1 gal..then 5...Good luck... KEEP M GREEN

i have 2 plants about 40 inches tall in weeks 6 of flowering in only 1/2 G pot.. my others is in 3G those two i keept them like that because i dont have room for maore 3G pots so instead of throwing them i keept them and they seem to do very fine so far..

yep, roots growing out of the holes is the sign for me, but sounds like two months would be a good time. You really dont want them getting root bound, not totally. So the white roots growing to the holes in the pot is a real good sign, when you transplant the growth will slow a little, as the plant adjusts to growing those roots out into the new soil. Then watch out...growth spurt!

tcbud said:
yep, roots growing out of the holes is the sign for me, but sounds like two months would be a good time. You really dont want them getting root bound, not totally. So the white roots growing to the holes in the pot is a real good sign, when you transplant the growth will slow a little, as the plant adjusts to growing those roots out into the new soil. Then watch out...growth spurt!

Yeah watch out..and HANG on:lama: ...KEEP M GREEN:D Also learned to allow a transplant to Veg a week befor puttN her in flower..Hope this helps

red_ss said:
i have 2 plants about 40 inches tall in weeks 6 of flowering in only 1/2 G pot.. my others is in 3G those two i keept them like that because i dont have room for maore 3G pots so instead of throwing them i keept them and they seem to do very fine so far..

40 inches tall and only 1/2 Gallon pot?...Now that has to be root bound...Is she still growing?...that contaner must be packed with roots..:holysheep:

4u2smoke said:
40 inches tall and only 1/2 Gallon pot?...Now that has to be root bound...Is she still growing?...that contaner must be packed with roots..:holysheep:

hey 4u good 2see you buddy.. yeah the plants still growing and i can see the roots because the pot is not colored.. its looks really fiied up and mixed with roots( but they dont sneake out the drain holes even thogh the might be bounded.
But what can i do ill leave them like that till the end or maybe if i chopped then ill transplant.. those plants should be thrown away but i thought keeping them in 1/2g better that throwing dont you agree;)

sounds good everyone, ill start looking for those things when i check up on the plants (im not a busy person in the summer so that is like 5-6 times a day!)...

red_ss said:
hey 4u good 2see you buddy.. yeah the plants still growing and i can see the roots because the pot is not colored.. its looks really fiied up and mixed with roots( but they dont sneake out the drain holes even thogh the might be bounded.
But what can i do ill leave them like that till the end or maybe if i chopped then ill transplant.. those plants should be thrown away but i thought keeping them in 1/2g better that throwing dont you agree;)

Yes I agree.:)

well from what i have seen i think it depends on strain i was growing og kush and white widow all in 3 gallon pots at harvest the white widow was 6 feet 3 inches and the kush was 5 feet 7 inches and the white widow didnt have half of the roots the og had. some one correct me if im wrong

the air, when it hits the roots from the bottom of the contianer, if they are on the side, will prune them...called air pruning. you are not necesariliy root bound if you see one or two....they will stop growing when they hit the air...one or two not bad....bunches may mean root bound.
good growing..
hope you have a great summer!

Latest posts

Back