When Will Things Slow Down?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callawave

AKAW!!
Reaction score
I’ve just had to clear everything but the plants from the tent to give them more space to spread.
These plants have just started their third week of 12 x 12 and they’re still getting taller. I thought Indica’s would stay shorter than this. Anyone know when they’re likely to stop climbing?
Also, do you think they’ll need stakes for support when they bud up?
HELP! It’s all getting out of control………:hairpull:

#1.JPG

#2.JPG

Hey callawave. I'm a fairly novice grower as well however I think I can give you some advice. The plants are not going to slow down and in fact, from my experience their growth will speed up even more as they begin budding. I would suggest starting some Lst techniques if you are already pressed for space. I know it's not much info but I hope it helps.

I also had this problem.. hehe another 2 weeks they should tame down some.. them direct it more towards the bud growth.. they still will grow just not as fast.... mine finally have started to slow down... but i had to resort to LST....
have fun take care..
LH

If you are 3 weeks into flowering, they should start slowing down any time now. Do you know the strain?

IMO, it is not a good idea to do any LST when you are 3 weeks into flowering.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you are 3 weeks into flowering, they should start slowing down any time now. Do you know the strain?

had to THG either that or watch a few branches go into the light.. hehehe
let me correct that....
not LST more or less having to tie back some branches.. the main cola was the big one... hehe..
LH

High heat and insuffcient light will also make them run taller...

LEFTHAND said:
had to THG either that or watch a few branches go into the light.. hehehe
let me correct that....
not LST more or less having to tie back some branches.. the main cola was the big one... hehe..
LH

Actually, I was not replying to your post, but the one before it--you snuck in before me. IMO, there is a difference between tying a branch or 2 out of the way to keep it from growing into the light and doing LST.

I’ve just had to clear everything but the plants from the tent to give them more space to spread.
These plants have just started their third week of 12 x 12 and they’re still getting taller. I thought Indica’s would stay shorter than this. Anyone know when they’re likely to stop climbing?
Also, do you think they’ll need stakes for support when they bud up?
HELP! It’s all getting out of control………:hairpull:

They will slow down soon, my indicas did at three weeks. Wait another 4-5weeks and then you´ll see if them buds hang upside down, then youl´ll need ropes and stakes to support:).

Good luck

The Hemp Goddess said:

Both Indica’s, Rocklock & Killa-Watt.
I’m not worried about the plants filling the tent. Just concerned about headroom, as my light’s as high as it’ll go now. I’ve already use a bootlace & tied one off to the light cable to stop it burning. Now another is trying to top itself. :eek:
Do you think the height will mean they’ll need support?

Parcero said:
They will slow down soon, my indicas did at three weeks. Wait another 4-5weeks and then you´ll see if them buds hang upside down, then youl´ll need ropes and stakes to support:).

Good luck
Sorry, missed this one. Belay that last question :eek:

from the looks of it you will probably need supprts later, but like LH and THG said the upward growth should stop soon and it will focus on bud development. If you have to put some nails into those walls and tie the stems back to that to keep it out of the light. I had a crazy one a couple grows ago that I literally had to take off branches to keep it out of the light, and keep an even canopy. Next time, remember that the plants will usually double sometimes triple in size from the time you switch to flower. So maybe do some LST in veg, or topping etc, it's a little late for all that now, as you do not want to stress them. But just a note for the next grow! Good Luck to you!

It is really strain dependent. I have two different indicas next to each other and one, pretty much as soon as I went 12/12, stopped and began to develop big fat colas. But the other one is growing 'stretchy' colas and 'pigtails' around the stem. One cost 5 times more than the other . . . guess which? Yep, the first one.

Hahahha Leaf miner! imagine that...I've even had that happen within the same strain...2 different phenos...sometimes I have just said screw it, and yanked the tall lanky ones not doing what I think they should. If I don't like the traits I get rid of them to free up space for something that I like.

legalize_freedom said:
So maybe do some LST in veg, or topping etc, it's a little late for all that now, as you do not want to stress them. But just a note for the next grow!
Will do LF. I've just (gently) bent & tied them off so that the tops of the two problem plants are outside of the reflector hood. I'll just have to keep a daily check on them.
Thought I'd read enough, but its a steep learning curve this. Still, I suppose it's not the worst problem to have.
I think I may have vegged a week too long.
Thank you all for the advice :farm:
PS. Flowers are beginning to form now :yay:

well post some pictures of those buds when they take off, cant wait to see them ;)

Might try bushmaster in the future. Will stop those girls in their tracks.

PuffinNugs said:
well post some pictures of those buds when they take off, cant wait to see them ;)
I'm posting pickies in my weekly updates on my journal page PuffinNugs. (Love the handle). There's a link at the bottom of the post. :D

parkone said:
Might try bushmaster in the future. Will stop those girls in their tracks.
Sorry Parkone, but I've no idea what 'Bushmaster' is mate. :eek:

Bushmaster is a growth inhibitor produced by Homboldt County's Own brand. If you give your plants a dose of it, it is supposed to stop verticle growth. I have never used it but I have heard from reputable sources that it works well. I do use this companies other products with great results, so I imagine the stuff works good.

legalize_freedom said:
Bushmaster is a growth inhibitor produced by Homboldt County's Own brand.
Thanks LF. I think better planning for my next grow is a better way to go than more chemical additions.
I’ve been caught out by the vigour of these things, plus I may have vegged a week too long.
I chose Indicas for their shorter stature (plus I like STONE) but what I misjudged was the sump plus pot height and the light drop. The tent may be two meters tall, but at about one and a half meters they’re inside the reflector hood.
The frame of a tent gives you nothing to tie off to, except the corner poles. So for the next grow I’ll run something along the sides and train them while still in veg.
Well it is my first go, so I suppose you've got to expect a few teething problems, right? :eek:

Latest posts

Back