Will a 12/12 from seed plant still GROW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DLtoker said:
Hey Md., Can you provide us with your source? ;)
I'm "pretty sure" that came from the "Mello Gold" website. But you're roght DL, the source "should" be given credit.

and isnt the 12/12 method beyond argument?
Hasnt it already been proven that it works.
It has already been prooved that if you do it right, that the out come is good., I am a Firm believe now, MD posted a pic of an all CFL grow, under 12/12. and the buds were insane....it looked like it was grown under HPS.
I do believe some people need to do a little more research, read a few more Threads, before they Knock the 12/12 from seed method.

None has said it doesn't work. Noone has said it can't be done.
"outcome is good"... But is it up to the full potential??
Is it "beneficial" in any way, other than fast gratification?
Is it detrimental to the gene pool?
Noone has addressed these issues, the issues that I questioned. Only that "I have done it, I can do it".."My buds are big".. yadda yadda...

I'm done with this thread now. Carry on as you please.. :D

Hick said:
Had odd mutations when I tried this, but was done with bagseed not stable strains. I will try again to see if it was the strain genetics or the photoperiod. Gonna have to try this one again. Might take a couple of known strains to do a comparison.
I have to agree...this is messing with the standard needs of an MJ plant.

If you want to grow some prize winning bud with heavier yield then add a vegg period. Drawback? you lose time is all, but its your own so its free!

If you want to grow some prize winning bud with less yield, then don't add a vegg period. Drawback? You'd have to plant more plants then you would without a veg period to makeup for the loss of bud yield.

Hey, how long do you guys think untill i see the Sex of the plants??
Im kinda asking anyone who has done 12/12 from seed before.
but remember i Vegged for 1-2 weeks, then flowered them.

also, do the 2 little green hairs; by the bud sites, turn into white pistils??

"outcome is good"... But is it up to the full potential??
From someone who has been smoking for the last 20 years, I would say it's up to it's full potential. If that counts for anything.

Is it "beneficial" in any way, other than fast gratification?
Yes, lights are running less, your bulbs last longer, you save electricity, no need for seperate veg and flower rooms, you save on nutes and there is less restriction on height.

It can't be detrimental if you are are only growing for smoking. If I were breeding I would stick to traditional methods

Noone has addressed these issues, the issues that I questioned. Only that "I have done it, I can do it".."My buds are big".. yadda yadda...

Now, all issues have been addressed, yadda, yadda, right back at ya :rolleyes:

The way I see it is I am offering experienced opinions. What experience have you in this, Hick ?

Hey Ekoostik, I would say about 2 weeks after changing lights and you should be able to tell.

I see this is a heated debate.
But all I want to know is why this cant be done from clones?
seems like you would get the best of both worlds.

All my grows were completed from clone to buds in 10 weeks.
I just dont get it?

One of my bagseeds that were on for 12/12 still went through a veg. period. It took 4-5 weeks to show sex. Tells me that not all strains might not act the same as others with this method. If it takes 3 months for it to finish cycle, putting more light on it for a month to get it bushier will increase yeild. IMO

"full potential" is not just potency, it is yeild as well.

Liebig's Law of the Minimum, often simply called Liebig's Law or the Law of the Minimum, is a principle developed in agricultural science by Carl Sprengel (1828) and later popularized by Justus von Liebig. It states that growth is controlled not by the total of resources available, but by the scarcest resource.
By reducing light when veg. period is needed you are adding to the minimum.
Light, Container size, quality of water, and nutrients....which ever the "weakest link" will stunt the growth of MJ...thus not allowing it to reach its full potential. IMHO

Growdude,
I have to agree clones are the best route, no veg. period, can store a favorite pheno for a long long time.
I don't get why having a veg box to store a mom or two is such a bad thing. I have a rubbermaid with 3 CFLs big PC fan cost me under 30 bucks (price of a small bag of herb). Only about 90W being used.

BTW:
Of course breeders would want us growing this way. No clones means you have to purchase more every grow.....job security ;)

Growdude said:
The clones are taken from a mature plant that is under veg...so all you have to do is wait for it to root and then you can slap it under 12/12...veg. period is over....clones are already mature. Just gotta root em first. 1 plant=lbs upon lbs. where with this method...small yeild and have to start over.

I see a little confusion on costs.

If you use "X" amount of KWH, (Kilowatt Hours) of electricity to grow an end result of 6 ounces of weed on a flat grow area, or you use "X" amount of electricity to grow 20 ounces of weed, the cost per/gram is going to be higher, not lower, for the smaller grow. It's close, but still costs MORE to grow per/gram.

I've done both.

I'm sorry to point this out, but it's already been done.

I hate to see everyone getting all twisted over this. It's a matter of "Bud per/inch" in the entire grow area. The larger plant uses nutrients more efficiently and a larger amount of smokable weed per/KW is the result.

Runbyhemp, you have a very valid point on one aspect of this type of grow; The plants grow with much less height. In some cases, that's a very usful element of the grow.

Now, disregard what I've said above, IF you have used clones AND have covered an entire grow area with plants that are set up on a space saving graduated "Stadium seat" type grow area that is four sided from the center, or in a open-sided bookcase grow with lights used between the bookcases. Those, and only those methods of growing in a "12/12" type grow will outperform in quantity against a 5 foot tall set of plants in the same area. The open-sided bookcase grow is the most efficient method overall. If anyone is interested, let me know via PM and I'll start a thread on it.

The lights for those types of grow are used in a much more efficient method.

Either way, it's not really something that has to be considered. ALL of us here are growing to provide ourselves with smoke for our personal use.

IF it were something that was a consideration for mass production, THEN it would be a valid argument.

SINCE we're not ever talking about that, then the tiny amount in cost per/KWH is so slight that it's kind of a pointless argument...but a neat experiment.

Good luck to you Runbyhemp. I hope you get a good result from your grow and it's really great smoke!

Growdude said:
I see this is a heated debate.
seems like you would get the best of both worlds.

All my grows were completed from clone to buds in 10 weeks.
I just dont get it?
So you take clones, throw them on 12/12 right away, and are able to harvest in 10 weeks?

Latest posts

Back