Window AC converion for an enclosed space

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DonJones said:
Puff,

Great job.

The reason some smell can leak through the window style AC units is because they are NOT sealed real well between the two sets of coils an a little air does leak both ways past the seals.

Great smoking.

Thanks for the info. Do you think I could enhance the seal somehow? For purposes of limiting smell, do you think the window units are still better than the single or dual hose portables?

I like it MB... had a simliar idea to do the same...:D
LH

DenseBuds,

You probably can enhance the seal, but I think I'd try it the way it comes first and if it isn't a problem leave it alone but if it gives you problems, then start enhancing the seal. Also not all window AC units have the same quality of sealing between the two sides. Remember, a slight cold to hot air leak isn't a problem like a slight leak of strong odor filled air might be, so what is a good seal for their purposes may not be any where near good for your purpose. However, the leakage should be fairly minor.

Also if you are venting both intake and exhaust air through the same window, try to keep the hot exhaust air as high and far from the cool intake air as possible. You don't want to be pulling the hot exhaust air right back into the AC or your efficiency will go way down.

You would be surprised how much difference in the effectiveness of the unit can be improved some times just by creating shade for the unit rather than direct sunlight.

Great smoking.

Thanks. I will run a test the first night and go outside while my wife is smoking and see what I can smell with the A/C running. I'm going to have the exhaust mounted above the intake in the window for sure, but I don't know how far apart. Need to see how much air comes out the exhaust. Think it'd look weird to have one at the bottom and one at the top in the window.

Anyway you run vents through a window is going to look weird unless you put fans in them.

DonJones said:
Anyway you run vents through a window is going to look weird unless you put fans in them.
Well if you have aircooled lights then you've already figured out where to vent the exhaust. Intake can come from anywhere. The cooler the better though. I myself pull fresh air from outside.

Where there's a will, there's a way!

Latest posts

Back