Interesting difference in seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pot Belly

Honeywagoneer
Reaction score
Hopefully this will be a helpful as well as informative post to fellow gardeners...........:)

Tossed a couple of beans to germ and grow for something new to do. Still looking for a decent indica strain for the grow while waiting on my Afghani beans........ ;)

Seeds are 10 days from breaking ground. Light - 70 watt MH on 24 hours. Seedlings given identical treatment. No nutes given, just water.

Used MG Seed Starting Potting Mix enriched with MG plant food for germination......:cool:

Guaranteed Analysis of Seed Potting Mix:
Total Nitrogren...........0.05%
Available Phosphate....0.01%
Soluable Potash..........0.05%

Both are unknown strains of bagseed. Each obviously a different strain.

Here is the interesting part.............

The difference in the leaves. One of the seedlings is dark green with no yellowing, no burnt leaves, or no chlorosis of the cotyledons. It (hopefully she) is just rockin and a rollin.

On the other hand, the other variety's leaves are burnt and crispy on the ends, inner leaves' edges are curling upwards, and cotyledons are showing signs of chlorosis which is confusing. It looks as if the seedling wants nitrogen, but at the same time suffering nute burn.........:cool: .

This goes to show how MG soil will work great for some strains, and burn up other strains.

Just transplanted them to 16 oz cups this morning with FF OF soil. Saying bye-bye to MG for all my MJ. All my Fox Farms stuff, including nutes arrived, and will be using them from here on out..........;)

Did not see any Nutrient Analysis on the FF OF Soil. I think it is "neutral", am I correct?

Audios Miracle Grow:hitchair: :ciao:................................Hello Fox Farms:doh:

Will be starting grow journal on this grow to keep up on the progress.......;)

100_0745.jpg

100_0746.jpg

100_0751.jpg

100_0739.jpg

100_0750.jpg

100_0740.jpg

100_0743.jpg

100_0744.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0754.jpg

yeah id say nuet burn but u havent feed any nutes yet have ya id ask how close your lights are but if they where to close all of the plants would have some kind of burn on them interesting

stonedsmithy said:
yeah id say nuet burn but u havent feed any nutes yet have ya id ask how close your lights are but if they where to close all of the plants would have some kind of burn on them interesting

Stonedsmithy - You are right on both.

It is nute burn from the soil mix. I haven't added nutes. They are not burnt from the light because it is 6" from them. (70 watt MH).:)

Here's an update on these two.........

What a difference a day and a half makes. It's been 36 hours since these seedlings were transplanted into Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil. No nutes added.

The one that was burning has turned around fast and new growth not burnt. The leaves are no longer curling up and have flattened out. Much healthier.

The other one that didn't have issues is turning out to be a fat leaved one. Nice and pretty and green.

I'm glad I finally decided to change over to the good stuff.:rolleyes:

PB:)

100_0759.jpg

100_0760.jpg

100_0761.jpg

hey bro the plants are looking a hell of alot better:D me I'm stuck with the MG:eek: Anyways glad to see this journal going i will be peeking in once and awhile so keep use post:D good luck on your grow bro:hubba: peace

Thanks for stopping in Growdude and StickyBudz.

Just learning bit by bit as I go..........;)

Am also interested in Canna Coco products as well. I like the coconut medium and system designed for it.......

This is starting off pretty interesting. I am also hooked on MG (organic grow soil) I believe the nutes are around the same if not lower. barely any though. I have been hearing alot about Foxfarm products but to no avail they are not offered where I live and I am scetchy about buying things like that online.

The one thing I find wierd is that its nute levels are on the high end of (N) which is a benificial nute to a young plant (even if as low as 0.05%)?

I will continue to watch this thread. Good growing to you my friend:cool:

So do any stores sell this Fox Farm soil or do you order online, cus I've heard it's the "pot growers soil."

Don't get me wrong here about MG soils or ferts........ They're great for the garden and yard.

Some of the stuff out there is specifically for MJ or could be used out in the yard, too.

There are some highly respected pro's out there who have grown in MG soils with fantastic results. They've seen the differences in seedling strains, and how they react to a "hot" mix. Most of the seedlings pull through as the mix eventually leeches out, or gets used by the plant.

The one thing I find wierd is that its nute levels are on the high end of (N) which is a benificial nute to a young plant (even if as low as 0.05%)?

All of the nutrition the seedling needs for it's first x# days of life are in the two cotyledons. Any extra nutrient may be too much for it. This may be the nute burn some swear their MG soil gave to their plants. Others have had no problem with it.

The rest depend on us - water, and light.

Fox Farm is some amazing stuff, good work on the save, even if it is bagseeds. keep up the good work.

Fire it up

KT

whoawhoa said:
So do any stores sell this Fox Farm soil or do you order online, cus I've heard it's the "pot growers soil."

You won't find FF products ay Wally world or Home De'pot', but many "garden center" or nurserys do carry it.

Cool, thanks Hick. We only have about one garden/lawn store here... hopefully they have it :D :D :D :D

If you can't find FF, another name brand to look into.. "Black Gold"...I've had great succes with it too.

Here's an update on these 2.......16 days from breaking ground.

It's been 6 days from transplant from MG soil to FF soil......

The seedling that was burnt by the "hot" mix is growing fast and 100% recovered.

The first pic is the recovered seedling. The second one is the seedling that was never affected by MG.

I will get around to naming them soon.:p

100_0771.jpg

100_0769.jpg

Latest posts

Back