Natural Cannabis Insecticide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzydiodude

Reaction score
:watchplant: :farm: This reciepe is By Ed Rosenthal Copied from "The Best of High Times Vol. 13"

1 quart water
1/2 pint (8 oz ) denatured alcohol
6 oz very red hot chili peppers. (if there ars no fresh
use 1/2 oz dried chili pepper)
3 strong cigarettes
1 teaspoon Dr. Bronners peppermint soap
(hxxp://drbonner.com/DBSM/PEP.htm)
1/4 easpoon dishing detergent
3 orange peels
2 oz garlic.

Directions: Heat water to lukewarm. Pour into blender and add chili peppers, garlic, cigarettes, and orange peels. Blend intil liquified. Heat to simmering, Let cool to 150 degrees. Add alcohol and let cool. Strain Add soap and detergent.
Note: this procedure creates terribe odors. Do in well ventilated room, or outdoors.

Spray on the plants or use as dip. be sure to get underside of all leaves . Repeat every other day about five times. It leaves a residue, so rinse every second or third application.

:48: :tokie: :48:

:headbang2: :bong1:

I started using in mid 80's outside have had no problem outside. i spray the plant along with a 10' circle around the plants. once a month it seen to repail deer also but I can not confirm this.

Inside you must leave fans running it evaparate the solution or it will cause brown spots(tabacco I think)

So then why not leave out the tobacco?

There was a guy who posted here last year who recommended using a few drops of olive oil, a drop or two of palmolive dishwashing soap, all mixed together in water and then sprayed to get rid of those little white flies. It worked for me.

Another guy recommended using cinnamon to repel ants. I tried it, but it didn't do anything to prevent pests.

I have seen ISO/water do the same thing the alcohol pull plant oils out of plant. It all come down to what works for you the best for you.

Seems like overkill to me, I've used garlic tea for indoor pests for years. cigs are known killers, peppers are also are known to kill insects. but alcohol and orange peels? The soap's to break the surface tension of water(so it won't bead on the leaves and cause burning)!

All in all seems like more work than necessary, just K.I.S.S. it!>) "Keep it Simple Silly"

A lot of thing are overkill to some people. K.I.S.S is the best no dought. But if you look at who wrote this receipe "Ed Rosenthal" it is hard to go againest.

How exactly does the garlic solution work? What does it consist of, and how do you make it and apply it? Sounds like good natural remedy if it works.

naturalhi said:
Seems like overkill to me, I've used garlic tea for indoor pests for years. cigs are known killers, peppers are also are known to kill insects. but alcohol and orange peels? The soap's to break the surface tension of water(so it won't bead on the leaves and cause burning)!

All in all seems like more work than necessary, just K.I.S.S. it!>) "Keep it Simple Silly"

Applying isopropyl alcohol on your plants sounds very risky of damaging. In nature alcohol would not be used, so why use it?

ozzydiodude said:
I have seen ISO/water do the same thing the alcohol pull plant oils out of plant. It all come down to what works for you the best for you.

The alcohol is to kill the bugs on contact. When you are fighting bugs any thing that works go for it. The more you use one thing the more likely the bugs become use to it. Rotating different type of treatment works best indoors.. Outside Mother Nature does all the fighting, there are bugs that feed of bugs.

Yeah, maybe, but it sounds like Isopropyl alcohol would also damage your plant leaves on contact immediately drying out vital vessels just like it does your skin on contact.

The alcohol is diluted to 50% it evaporates quickly doing little harm. WWM do you know who "Ed Rosenthol" is? If you do why are you questioning his receipe so much? this was writen in the early 80's.

White WidowMaker said:
How exactly does the garlic solution work? What does it consist of, and how do you make it and apply it? Sounds like good natural remedy if it works.

Boil a pint of water, add a table spoon of powdered garlic, let steep overnight, strain into spray bottle, spray at plants, bottom of leaves as well as top, kill bugs, repeat if they return.

This isn't science, so the portions may be adjusted as desired.

Methinks someone has a hero fixation, Maybe I'll write and published a book telling all about how gardening doesn't have to be exactly this way or that way, it doesn't have to be rocket science!>O

Naturalhi,I don't have a hero fixation. But do you know of anyone who has published more about their finding on growing marijuana.

Your Garlic receipe does it work on eggs that the bugs lay or do you have to reapply often.

Growing is a type of science in a way. you mix chemical compounds together. Soils, nutes, ferts, water and seeds to bring plants to life.

I know who Ed Rosenthol is, and I will totally question his recipe. If you were to search it on line you would find that using cigarettes, or any tobacco product for that matter, isn't the best idea ever. Cannabis, along with other various crop plants (tomato, potato, peanut etc.), is susceptible to Tobamovirus. Otherwise commonly known as tobacco or mosaic virus. It can be carried by raw tobacco products (ie. cigarettes, cigars) Not good. I know of a few people who have tried it and never had a problem but who in their right mind (and with web surfing capabilities) would ever put this on their prized plants? I wanted to try this method myself but after doing even a minimal amount of research it was obvious that this is a very poor idea.

So yeah, sorry but on this one I gotta say.... "whatever, Ed"!

ozzydiodude said:
The alcohol is diluted to 50% it evaporates quickly doing little harm. WWM do you know who "Ed Rosenthol" is? If you do why are you questioning his receipe so much? this was writen in the early 80's.

WHY PUT ANYTHING ON YOUR PLANTS? Let nature run its course. If you get anything congradulations.

Hmm, don't get me wrong, the other ingredients seem fine. I just question the use of tobacco. Maybe the orange peels are for the smell? Either way, when faced with a spidermite/thrip/caterpiller/whitefly infestation that threatens to dismantle your efforts it is a fight to the death. If tobacco is your last weapon and all others have been exhausted, by all means use it. I just don't see it ever coming to that. I think the big attraction for nicotine (obviously an effective pesticide) is it can be aquired for free.

I believe the orange peels previde citric acid. this has been use as a bug repellant,in the past , Ido not know if it works or not. The nicotine is a effective pesticide..
You are not putting tobacco on plants just the juices extracted when the mixture was simmered. I will admit it most likely has all the bad thing in tabacco in it. But that is why you rinse after you apply. Something you should do after useing any bug treatment.

You might be right about the orange peels Oz. I don't know.

As for the tobacco, the recipe clearly states 'luke warm' water not simmering. To simmer this recipe would possibly deminish or even negate the effect of the alcohol making it a frivolous and unnecessary ingredient.

Further, the inherent problems of exposing your plants to viral infection by using tobacco products still stand. Even in the 'juice'.

The only way I can see around this is to simmer the mixture without the alchohol, allow to cool, then add. (Unfortunately I wouldn't have the slightest clue what effect that kind of heat would have on the nicotine. It is possible that to simmer it would break it down and cause it to be another usless ingredient. These type of environmental stressors can break down chemicals very quickly. Any pest control tech will attest to that)

It would be curious to know if the alchohol, added when the mix has cooled, would destroy any possibilities of any existing virus. I suppose it may be possible but let me tell you this...

Tobacco/Mosaic virus treatment: NO cure.

Tobacco/Mosaic virus eventual outcome: DEAD plant

Tobacco/mosaic virus viability: CONTAGIOUS

Seems reasonable that this would be a last choice.

By the way, Oz, my ring tone is 'Crazy Train';) Has been for years.

ozzydiodude/ said:
Directions: Heat water to lukewarm. Pour into blender and add chili peppers, garlic, cigarettes, and orange peels. Blend intil liquified. Heat to simmering, Let cool to 150 degrees. Add alcohol and let cool. Strain Add soap and detergent.
Note: this procedure creates terribe odors. Do in well ventilated room, or outdoors.

Spray on the plants or use as dip.

:48: :tokie: :48:

:headbang2: :bong1:
This is in the orginal post I typed in straight out of "High times Even put in the tpyeo

Latest posts

Back