1st time grow advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everglo

Reaction score
Hey this is my first post here. I have been reading a LOT about growing and have decided that it is a good idea. I started a little experiment in the closet with a 10$ 'grow light' from walmart and some seeds that I happened to have around the house. After about 2 weeks the plants are growing, but after researching seed banks and all of the different strains I have decided that I would like to grow some AK48.

All of the information I find is so confusing, and some of it may not even apply to my situation. If someone would be kind enough to answer a few specific questions I would greatly appreciate it.

I will be growing 3 AK48 plants in a small closet (4x3ft).

What type of lights should I use?
- I am looking for the most cost effective lighting solution, and would prefer not to order online, but buy at local stores such as home depot, lowes, walmart, etc.

What type of soil should I use?
- I have read so much about soil.. mixing it with sand, getting this and that to add to it..

What type of containers should I use?
- I was planning on using a separate pot for each plant. But I do have a 4x3 plastic container that I could use if it would be better to plant all 3 plants in the same container. I read that it's a good idea to give each plant 1 sq ft. Is this correct?

What do I do about light cycles?
- I planned on doing 18/6 for veg, not sure what would be best after that. Also how long should I expect each stage to last with this strain?

How often do I water the plants?

If everything goes well, would I really be harvesting in ~50 days?

Does each plant really yield about 30g?

I am not trying to be cheap on anything, but at the same time I don't wish to blow a whole bunch of money on this operation if I don't need to, so if we could keep all suggestions as cost effective as possible it would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

welcome to MP!

i'd start off with reading as much as you possibly can and search out what you can't find on your own.... almost every question you've asked has been answered multiple times....

Thanks a lot for not flaming.. Those links are quite helpful. I've already seen a few of them. I was kind of looking for direct opinions on my questions though.

What type of lights should I use? For 12 sq ft, I would recommend a 400W HPS

I do hydro, so no help here, but many here use and like Fox Farm soil.

Separate container for each plant. Plan on a gal of soil for every foot in height.

I veg with a 24/7 light cycle. Some use 18/6, but your plants will grow all the time they are receiving light. Flowering is done with a 12/12 light cycle. The dark period must be absolutely, totally dark.

When the soil is dry--it is different with different sized plants and containers.

Not unless these were autos and AK48 is not. I have heard that the AK strains are quite high odor.

Probably not. Estimated yields are almost always vastly exaggerated.

To do this right, you are probably going to need to shop at a hydro store or order online. Why are you hesitant about ordering online?

Hello everglo,

What type of lights should I use?
400 watt High Pressure Sodium – sometimes you can get them at hardware stores but sometimes it’s just cheaper online. The $10 walmart special grow light will not cut it for growing marijuana.

I use hydro, I can’t recommend anything but don’t use soil from the backyard :D

The bigger the better, just remember to have stages of pots. When a small pot fills with roots then transplant into a medium pot, when the roots are filled in a medium pot move them to a large pot and etc…

18/6 cycle is a common and I use it, I like to save on electricity. You can do either 24/0 or 18/6

Scratch the soil with your finger about an inch or two deep; if it’s dry water, if it’s wet wait a day and retry the test.

Nope plan for at least 9 weeks flowering (even if it does harvest sooner, good to plan a head)

Yes, but you probably won’t get that on your first grow, unless you’re a prodigy :D Just expect whatever you get from harvest is better than nothing.

Remeber friend, The first grow (virgin grow) is a learn experiance, once you complete it you'll will have an amazing second grow.

Just like teenage sexual encounters, first time is always "what the heck am I doing" but the second time you know right what to do and were everything goes :D

GL to you my friend :)

hey everglo,
i have some ak48 going now, it's pretty forgiving, i have grown it in soil and hydro, but i prefer hydro, my soil mix is 1/3 peat moss,1/3 mushroom compost and 1/3 perlite, with 1/4 cup dolomite lime. make sure that your soil contains no nutrients
as the breeder says ak48 will hit hard and fast, i like to harvest on the early side to get a more up high
good luck

Latest posts

Back