First issue with my seedlings on living soil - are these fungus gnats?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Setup;

-Solo cups
-Dirtcraft G-Force living soil mix
-Inside the closet, I cleaned the entire closet with ISO/water mixture before placing them in there but haven't got to purchasing the grow tent.
-Using distilled water only at the seedling stage.
-Might have over watered them first two-three days. (I started with a wet soil and sprayed them lightly everyday which I think resulted in too much hanging water in the soil, currently trying to dry out while trying to keep topsoil still moist)
-09/11/23 Germination start
-11/11/23 Tap root cracked out of the seed
-13/11/23 First two embryonic leaves made it out of the soil (might have sowed them a little too deep about a full inch but they look strong and healthy)

And today I've seen more than one flying insects. I think they're fungus gnats. I don't know where they come from (if they came with soil etc.) and I'm not sure how to go about this, especially with living soil, at the seedling stage.
Could this be because I started without a grow tent and if I purchase a grow tent to isolate these plants, how should I make sure I don't bring these gnats with the seedlings, into the plant?

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions!
I have a gnat problem, did you end up getting rid of them? I have Diamatatous earth and neem oil and a fly trap hanging..

I have a gnat problem, did you end up getting rid of them? I have Diamatatous earth and neem oil and a fly trap hanging..
I have an entire bucket of D. Earth food grade and the issue with it is once it gets wet it's garbage and just the wet soil will cause it to soak up moisture. works great dry.
I just received my order of Mosquito Granules. Mosquito dunks are supposed to work the best, I found them made into granules to mix into soil, layer on top etc... gonna try mixing some in and layering around the edges where they seem to rise up thru... Let ya know how it works out as my infestation is pretty serious, always is here in the swamp...

I have an entire bucket of D. Earth food grade and the issue with it is once it gets wet it's garbage and just the wet soil will cause it to soak up moisture. works great dry.
I just received my order of Mosquito Granules. Mosquito dunks are supposed to work the best, I found them made into granules to mix into soil, layer on top etc... gonna try mixing some in and layering around the edges where they seem to rise up thru... Let ya know how it works out as my infestation is pretty serious, always is here in the swamp...
Buy yourself some Neem Cake, add a one inch layer of the cake immediately beneath your soil, lightly water and your troubles will soon disappear. Do this at the beginning of any grow and they'll never trouble you again.

Latest posts

Back