One Skywalker OG Seed / 10 Gallon Pot / 3x3 Tent / Goal = 1 Pound Dry Yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Dave

Reaction score
I recently switched to organic living soil and I have become one of those annoying born-again Growers, passionate about bringing the word Organics to the people, LoL. Forgive me please, but I cannot help myself.

I used to grow in a 50/50 blend of Peat and Vermiculite using GH's FloraGrow bottled nutes and absolutely hated all the work that went into growing that way, including the testing, pH'ing, mixing, measuring and logging of data. But in the end, those nutes worked and my yields were average for 3, 5, and 7 gallon pots. So I started reading about organics and how a diverse living soil will break down the organics into the ionic form that plants can uptake and how endo-mychorizal fungi sends its hyphae into the plant's roots to feed on simple sugars that the plant supplies it with and in turn it feeds the plant phosphorous that it's breaking down for it.

Fellow growers: if plants are classified as autotrophs, why are we serving as their waiters, Chef's and busboys? That's just crazy. It was time for a change. Let those little critters do all the work for a change.

Now, since I am on the lazy side, I chose a commercial soil: Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend. It was specifically designed for cannabis growers and the base is lobster compost. I mean, come on - that stuff is full of chitin! My plants just love it and they stay green and healthy throughout the entire grow and bulk up like the friggin Hulk during late flower. My last harvest was 19 ounces, dry-weight right before the cure begins at 62% RH, which is my personal preference.

I live in NYC where our tap water tests at 45ppm with a neutral pH, so I use a ZeroWater filter to remove the fluoride. I've got a 3x3 tent with a MarsHydro TS3000 (450w) LED light. I'm running a 4" AC Infinity in-line exhaust fan with a 69Pro Controller attached. Also inside the tent are a 4" AC Infinity Oscillating fan and a SpiderFarmer humidifier with a temp and humidity probe.

That's a 10 gallon cloth pot filled with Stonington Blend Organic Natural Grower's Mix. Unfortunately, I anticipated that I'd start growing 3 months earlier than I did, so the bag I ordered dried out - badly. I chose to add Recharge and about 4 cups of castings with R.O.'d water. I'm hoping the Recharge microbes will be a sufficient replacement to what I lost as I allowed that bag to dry out. I added a small amount of Blackstrap molasses to a recent watering to feed those microbes. I also add liquid silica in mfr's recommended quantity to the first few waterings of the plant.

Pictured below is my setup and the new seedling, which I'll soon declare is in veg. It's exactly 11 days old. I'm currently watering every 3 days and using slightly more than a gallon per. I haven't watered to runoff yet but it's been close.

I wanted to share this grow in order to demonstrate how easy it is to grow with organics. I'm hoping that someone out there who has been frustrated with their growing results reads this, is inspired to change and they harvest a heavy and potent yield, putting big smiles on their faces.

Attachments

• 20240528_225033.jpg
    20240528_225033.jpg
    2.4 MB
  • 20240528_225058.jpg
    20240528_225058.jpg
    3 MB
  • 20240528_225058_resized.jpg
    20240528_225058_resized.jpg
    521.7 KB
Outstanding, I totally get the desire to spread the gospel of organics. It is a wonderful method of growing. Especially for us growers who don't care for all the measurements and ** that goes with other methods.
I too was seeking that easy no frills grow. Only I found it in promix n Jack's. Mix and feed. Same amount everytime. If it needs water it gets Jack's. Simple, easy, uncomplicated. I jumped on this method when I found it in some threads. I committed to it and used the method on a large grow. I'll never sway from jacks now. The grow was so easy a kindergarten could have maintained it..lol. I never had one leaf hit the floor until late flower.
Anyways, I'm glad to see ya throw this thread up. There are some here into organics and will enjoy reading your stuff.
Training is a big part of my growing. I've read where your into that as well. I'm anxious to see ya manipulate that lil one into a monster. I have a single plant grow going as well and I'm shooting for that 19oz goal you achieved..lol. Lofty goal but I think I can get close..lol

I recently switched to organic living soil and I have become one of those annoying born-again Growers, passionate about bringing the word Organics to the people, LoL. Forgive me please, but I cannot help myself.

I used to grow in a 50/50 blend of Peat and Vermiculite using GH's FloraGrow bottled nutes and absolutely hated all the work that went into growing that way, including the testing, pH'ing, mixing, measuring and logging of data. But in the end, those nutes worked and my yields were average for 3, 5, and 7 gallon pots. So I started reading about organics and how a diverse living soil will break down the organics into the ionic form that plants can uptake and how endo-mychorizal fungi sends its hyphae into the plant's roots to feed on simple sugars that the plant supplies it with and in turn it feeds the plant phosphorous that it's breaking down for it.

Fellow growers: if plants are classified as autotrophs, why are we serving as their waiters, Chef's and busboys? That's just crazy. It was time for a change. Let those little critters do all the work for a change.

Now, since I am on the lazy side, I chose a commercial soil: Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend. It was specifically designed for cannabis growers and the base is lobster compost. I mean, come on - that stuff is full of chitin! My plants just love it and they stay green and healthy throughout the entire grow and bulk up like the friggin Hulk during late flower. My last harvest was 19 ounces, dry-weight right before the cure begins at 62% RH, which is my personal preference.

I live in NYC where our tap water tests at 45ppm with a neutral pH, so I use a ZeroWater filter to remove the fluoride. I've got a 3x3 tent with a MarsHydro TS3000 (450w) LED light. I'm running a 4" AC Infinity in-line exhaust fan with a 69Pro Controller attached. Also inside the tent are a 4" AC Infinity Oscillating fan and a SpiderFarmer humidifier with a temp and humidity probe.

That's a 10 gallon cloth pot filled with Stonington Blend Organic Natural Grower's Mix. Unfortunately, I anticipated that I'd start growing 3 months earlier than I did, so the bag I ordered dried out - badly. I chose to add Recharge and about 4 cups of castings with R.O.'d water. I'm hoping the Recharge microbes will be a sufficient replacement to what I lost as I allowed that bag to dry out. I added a small amount of Blackstrap molasses to a recent watering to feed those microbes. I also add liquid silica in mfr's recommended quantity to the first few waterings of the plant.

Pictured below is my setup and the new seedling, which I'll soon declare is in veg. It's exactly 11 days old. I'm currently watering every 3 days and using slightly more than a gallon per. I haven't watered to runoff yet but it's been close.

I wanted to share this grow in order to demonstrate how easy it is to grow with organics. I'm hoping that someone out there who has been frustrated with their growing results reads this, is inspired to change and they harvest a heavy and potent yield, putting big smiles on their faces.
Nice excited to see this grow

I watered the plant this morning - exactly 1 gallon. The leaves were drooping slightly, for the first time since germination - a sign that more frequent or heavier watering is meeded. I added 1/4 tsp of Blackstrap and 5 ml of liquid silica to the water this morning.
FYI: I 'top' 3 times when the plant has about 3-4 nodes. That seems to produce the additional branching I look for allowing me to veg for only 6 weeks. We'll see how it looks at that time.

I watered the plant this morning - exactly 1 gallon. The leaves were drooping slightly, for the first time since germination - a sign that more frequent or heavier watering is meeded. I added 1/4 tsp of Blackstrap and 5 ml of liquid silica to the water this morning.
FYI: I 'top' 3 times when the plant has about 3-4 nodes. That seems to produce the additional branching I look for allowing me to veg for only 6 weeks. We'll see how it looks at that time.
I'm currently using an 18/6 light interval and the pic below shows the tent environment. I'm managing VPD and nailing the best #'s from 7am to 1am. During the overnight, I shut the humidifier when the light is off and yet the humidity is exceeding 70%, so I have to figure out what's driving that.

Attachments

• 20240529_081903.jpg
    20240529_081903.jpg
    839.9 KB
I think the topping is where we differ a little. I don't remove tops at all. I just manipulate the plant and gain as many bud sites as topping produces without removing plant material. But that is just how I do it. Topping is a very effective method that many do.
I tried chasing those vpd number. I struggle with that but I remember when that wasn't even a thing. How times change.

I think the topping is where we differ a little. I don't remove tops at all. I just manipulate the plant and gain as many bud sites as topping produces without removing plant material. But that is just how I do it. Topping is a very effective method that many do.
I tried chasing those vpd number. I struggle with that but I remember when that wasn't even a thing. How times change.
I have watched a summer grow of someone in Canada he planted 4 seeds. Each one was started in a solo cup and at about 6 weeks or do he up potted outside into a 40 or 50 gal planter. Them things got like 7 ft tall and about the same across. He topped them several times. He ended up with pick up truck full of weed.

I have watched a summer grow of someone in Canada he planted 4 seeds. Each one was started in a solo cup and at about 6 weeks or do he up potted outside into a 40 or 50 gal planter. Them things got like 7 ft tall and about the same across. He topped them several times. He ended up with pick up truck full of weed.
Yeah man, them big outdoor grows can be an amazing sight to see. I've personally seen some 10-12' plants in my teens. I'm from down in meigs co Ohio. Grew up down that way and now in Cleveland. SE Ohio is well known for it's big golden or purple bud. High times actually did an article on the area years ago. Which was a curse for the growers. Next season the national guard was all over and every year that followed.
Anyways, I'm shooting for a mini monster indoors. I have vegged out a flowering clone and she's about to go under the screen soon. I'm excited. I've not run a scrog since returning to growing. I learned how to grow using a scrog. This is gonna be fun.

I tried chasing those vpd number. I struggle with that but I remember when that wasn't even a thing. How times change.By

Topping, or splitting the apical node seems to drive an increase in lateral branching, providing additional bud sites for the canopy. This is the first grow where I'm trying to nail VPD as much as possible in order to set the best environment for the plant'sl transpiration.

I've seen those 15' tall bushes that yield 15 pounds of weed. Man would I love to try growing that.

Yeah that topping issue is a long debated one. Seems there's always two sides to a method..lol. Give folks something to mill about.

I was taught by an old Australian guy years ago on training and manipulating plants. I honestly believe the plant produces those same growth spurts when crushed and bent. It's just as much shock as removing a piece of the plant. It increases stem strength and invigorates growth above the damaged area. Back then it had no name. Today I think they call it monster cropping. I dunno, seems everything has a label..lol

Yeah man, them big outdoor grows can be an amazing sight to see. I've personally seen some 10-12' plants in my teens. I'm from down in meigs co Ohio. Grew up down that way and now in Cleveland. SE Ohio is well known for it's big golden or purple bud. High times actually did an article on the area years ago. Which was a curse for the growers. Next season the national guard was all over and every year that followed.
Anyways, I'm shooting for a mini monster indoors. I have vegged out a flowering clone and she's about to go under the screen soon. I'm excited. I've not run a scrog since returning to growing. I learned how to grow using a scrog. This is gonna be fun.
I spent a lot of time in Meigs county with friends from Ohio University from 1974 through 1990. My introduction to sinsemilla. When I read about how strong the pot is today compared to the past, they weren't talking about what we grew and smoked. Maybe some were stuck with 4% thc brick weed, but Meigs county pot was far different from that. Good times.

I spent a lot of time in Meigs county with friends from Ohio University from 1974 through 1990. My introduction to sinsemilla. When I read about how strong the pot is today compared to the past, they weren't talking about what we grew and smoked. Maybe some were stuck with 4% thc brick weed, but Meigs county pot was far different from that. Good times.
I moved there from South Florida when I was 13. Had no idea what I was rolling up into. Family is from pomeroy. Had a blast roaming them hills. Smoked a lot. All gorilla grows back in them days. Fun stuff as a kid.

I moved there from South Florida when I was 13. Had no idea what I was rolling up into. Family is from pomeroy. Had a blast roaming them hills. Smoked a lot. All gorilla grows back in them days. Fun stuff as a kid.
One of my best friends married a Pomeroy girl back then, she was our ticket inside to the hills folk.

You want a monster inside plant s Beast mode but put her in a big enough pot. Mine got 6 ft in just s 2 gal pot. She was always thirsty. I put her in a 3 gal plastic pot. It is all I had on hand. I would have used bigger. I want those bud site (there are a ton) to get fed properly. She is happier. I knocked the top bud off when up potted it. A whole one ft top shoot.

Yeah that topping issue is a long debated one. Seems there's always two sides to a method..lol. Give folks something to mill about.

I was taught by an old Australian guy years ago on training and manipulating plants. I honestly believe the plant produces those same growth spurts when crushed and bent. It's just as much shock as removing a piece of the plant. It increases stem strength and invigorates growth above the damaged area. Back then it had no name. Today I think they call it monster cropping. I dunno, seems everything has a label..lol
I also lollipop every grow to concentrate the plant's energy on canopy growth. I usually strip away the bottom third of the plant just before before the flip. As far as pruning is concerned, I avoid doing that and instead tuck.

Latest posts

Back