Bag of Stonington Dried Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.Dave

Reaction score
Hey fellow organic living soil growers - I purchased two bags of Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend. Unfortunately, I didn't begin germination until recently and both bags dried out.

The pic attached is a Skywalker OG bean that just popped sitting in a 10 gallon pot with that same dry soil that I prepared for planting.

Do you think adding Recharge could help to supplement enough additional microbes into the soil so my girl can make it through a 4 month grow? I appreciate your advice and time.

Attachments

• 20240519_070447.jpg
    20240519_070447.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Hey fellow organic living soil growers - I purchased two bags of Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend. Unfortunately, I didn't begin germination until recently and both bags dried out.

The pic attached is a Skywalker OG bean that just popped sitting in a 10 gallon pot with that same dry soil that I prepared for planting.

Do you think adding Recharge could help to supplement enough additional microbes into the soil so my girl can make it through a 4 month grow? I appreciate your advice and time.
Maybe add mykos and some worm castings.

I'm sure some organic growers will pop in here. Organics freak me out. To much mixing of this n that for me.
Really? Luving soil freaks you out? LoL. That's just it...with a fresh bag of Stonington, all you do is water for 4 months, nothing else as long as you're in a 15-20 gallon pot. Less? No problem, just top dress in a few small amendments and the microbes do the rest. It's actually the easiest and best way to grow - just don't let it dry out.

Really? Luving soil freaks you out? LoL. That's just it...with a fresh bag of Stonington, all you do is water for 4 months, nothing else as long as you're in a 15-20 gallon pot. Less? No problem, just top dress in a few small amendments and the microbes do the rest. It's actually the easiest and best way to grow - just don't let it dry out.
It's all good if ya get the right combination but if ya don't your chasing a dragon the whole grow.

I'm totally on board with the ease of organics. Once dialed in they kick some great bud but I found to much trial and error with all the additives, teas, and such.

I've grown in soils, hydro, coco, n peat. Today I prefer peat based promix. I feed every watering with Jack's, calnit, and Epsom same amount all the way through so it's a pretty simple easy way of growing as well. If they need water. They get Jack's.

We all seem to prefer our own ways and they all lead to some great homegrown herb.

It's all good if ya get the right combination but if ya don't your chasing a dragon the whole grow.

I'm totally on board with the ease of organics. Once dialed in they kick some great bud but I found to much trial and error with all the additives, teas, and such.

I've grown in soils, hydro, coco, n peat. Today I prefer peat based promix. I feed every watering with Jack's, calnit, and Epsom same amount all the way through so it's a pretty simple easy way of growing as well. If they need water. They get Jack's.

We all seem to prefer our own ways and they all lead to some great homegrown herb.

I agree with you, if it works, why change anything? I started out in straight peat amended with gypsum and dolomitic lime using GH's Flora-Grow liquid nutes. It worked fine, but between the nute mixing, pH'ing and EC'ing even the runoff, I was getting tired.

Stonington comes already mixed and it was engineered specifically for cannabis. The ONLY thing I do is water the plant for the first two months (in a 10 gallon pot). Around the flip, you start top-dressing in some organic plant food, fish bone meal and castings and just water and watch it grow. For me, it's truly amazing and my last harvest of Skywalker OG was friggin' incredible. The grow stays lush green throughout the entire grow and I threw my pH and EC meter in the garbage...just don't need 'em any more.

Unfortunately, my current grow was delayed, so the bag of Stonington did dry out after almost 3 months. I wrote to CoM and they suggested adding Recharge, Castings and their plant food which should add sufficient microbes.

Thanks again to Jan for suggesting myko and castings!!!!

I agree with you, if it works, why change anything? I started out in straight peat amended with gypsum and dolomitic lime using GH's Flora-Grow liquid nutes. It worked fine, but between the nute mixing, pH'ing and EC'ing even the runoff, I was getting tired.

Stonington comes already mixed and it was engineered specifically for cannabis. The ONLY thing I do is water the plant for the first two months (in a 10 gallon pot). Around the flip, you start top-dressing in some organic plant food, fish bone meal and castings and just water and watch it grow. For me, it's truly amazing and my last harvest of Skywalker OG was friggin' incredible. The grow stays lush green throughout the entire grow and I threw my pH and EC meter in the garbage...just don't need 'em any more.

Unfortunately, my current grow was delayed, so the bag of Stonington did dry out after almost 3 months. I wrote to CoM and they suggested adding Recharge, Castings and their plant food which should add sufficient microbes.

Thanks again to Jan for suggesting myko and castings!!!!
I never did measure ppm, ph, ec, or runoff. Yeah, I know it's not common but.... 😂 It worked.

GreenMobster: here's my take on that dragon reference: whatever nutes were in the bag, remain. I do not think I have to manage the nute levels...my goal is to add enough c.f.u.'s to build a sufficient microbiome capable of breaking down the organics in the soil into plant-available nutes. Thankfully, Recharge contains glomus interacides, an endo-mychorizal fungus that I've read pairs with cannabis roots specifically in the wild, which Stonington contains and I probably dried out. I suspect that the plant receives its phosphorous exclusively from this pairing. I'll add small amounts of Blackstrap to hopefully bulk up those microbial colonies.
I'm just not convinced that Recharge provides the diversity of Flora that used to exist in that soil. I'm looking into other teas, perhaps derived from composting that could help to add back what may be missing.

So far, so good. It's only 8 days since germination and transplant. I have noticed that when planting into an organic soil, it takes a few days for the seedling to make all of its connections below the surface. It's like no growth is happening, but it really is. The seedling is sitting in the middle of the pot and it's tap root drilled down to the bottom of the 10 gallon pot and is now expanding to maximize its root system. I hope I put enough Recharge in that pot.

Attachments

• 20240526_094402.jpg
    20240526_094402.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back