High, from Mo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a theory why we will never find the weed we smoked in our youth ……for me that begins around 1963

here is my theory about n a nutshell:

we will never find it , and it being the high we experienced back then

why?

I think it is because when I was a teenager with zero cares or responsibilities in life , free as a bird , changing from childhood into adulthood , all that had a significant impact on my high

i will never ever be that 16 year old hippie kid smoking dope…ever again.

I think the weed of today is just as good as it was back then , hell , maybe even better

but I have changed and so has my experience
Wise words, Big.

I have a theory why we will never find the weed we smoked in our youth ……for me that begins around 1963

here is my theory about n a nutshell:

we will never find it , and it being the high we experienced back then

why?

I think it is because when I was a teenager with zero cares or responsibilities in life , free as a bird , changing from childhood into adulthood , all that had a significant impact on my high

i will never ever be that 16 year old hippie kid smoking dope…ever again.

I think the weed of today is just as good as it was back then , hell , maybe even better

but I have changed and so has my experience

View attachment 338122
Funny you say that,My Bro took me to lunch after looking at a electric problem at his real black smith shop.
We stopped at a corner tavern that was there by a different name 55 years ago ,stoned on weed with seed , and laughing like fools.
My older Brother worked in the restaurant business and good weed ,thai stick ,hash ,opiated hash was around.
I was spoiled
My Brother was the first one to get me really stoned on a joint. I felt "NOTHING" and went home and ate of lb of pasta !

I moved to Florida as a 17-year-old kid in 1970 by myself, and it was introduced to the Colombian marijuana market. Back then we were like cowboys and had the best black, red and gold Columbia any you could possibly find. The bales were thick, sticky full of seeds and sticks, but it was the best part that I’ve ever smoked.

Last edited:
Hi, folks! By way of introduction, I'm an old fart that grew up on the Gulf Coast of Old Florida, where one could occasionally snag a Square Grouper when walking the beach. We relocated to my bride's hometown somewhat near to the current winner/runner up for 'most crime-ridden city in America' a tad over 24 years ago.

I was stationed on Oahu for two years, where the Premium Columbian Gold of the day was considered almost throwaway, compared to local products. I've smoked weed that was called Thai Stick, Maui Wowie, Kona Gold...and I might question those who say that weed of old does not compare to the new strains. Maybe it's just my age, but those days on Oahu were almost magical. :cool:

But I'm not a chemist and I don't know SQUAT about weed at this point (which is why I'm here).

I took my first toke at age 14, and I've been pretty much a lifelong 'felonious' user of the devil's lettuce since. I'm no longer a 'felon', at least at the state level, and I don't have a famous daddy to bail me out of trouble, so I'm still a bit on the more covert side of life as regards cannabis.

Missouri is medicinal and recreational now. A friend of mine gave me a bud from her medicinal stash early this year, and two tiny seeds popped out of it, so I decided "What the heck?" Went to Home Depot and bought a bag of Bonnie Harvest Select Raised Bed soil, put it in a roughly 5-gallon wooden barrel-style pot, and when my germinated seeds were big enough, I transplanted both of them into the big pot, side by side.

I've added zero nutrients, and I use only distilled water when I douse them. They get a mix of sunlight and LED light, but they're just in a pot. No grow room. When it's hella hot outside, they stay inside. When it's nice, I'll carry them outside. I'm retired and only work two days a week, so I can babysit them a bunch.

I'm here to maybe prep for next year, and for y'all to help me find the right path. We'll see how my first-ever plant does. I'm only interested in personal consumption, so my "farm" is gonna be tiny and nowhere near professional.

I'm willing to learn, and this forum seems to be pretty busy. Thanks for lettin' me in! Name's Bob.
Hey Bob...I believe raised bed soil is engineered to withstand droughts, so as someone noted earlier, it compacts. You need to manage that fact with how you water. Why not add a good chitin-rich compost to the raised bed topsoil just like a normal organic amendment? Check out Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend and their organic plant food line. A 15-20 gallon pot, filled with Stonington, supposedly has enough nutes to nourish the plant right through harvest; though I've read accounts that say you need to add amendments by week 2 of flower.

I started out in 3, 5 and 7 gallon pots and found them too small for the harvest I wanted to achieve from one seed: one pound of dank top-shelf. So now I'm in a 10 gallon and I'm hopeful that my current plant will yield more than a pound.

Topping, pruning and low stress training will help you maximize your yield and potency and those techniques are easily learned here, YT, etc..

Good luck with your grow!

I moved to Florida as a 17-year-old kid in 1970 by myself, and it was introduced to the Colombian marijuana market. Back then we were like cowboys and had the best black, red and gold Columbia any you could possibly find. The bales were thick, sticky full of seeds and sticks, but it was the best part that I’ve ever smoked.
Hello from St Louis!
TPH

Hey Bob...I believe raised bed soil is engineered to withstand droughts, so as someone noted earlier, it compacts. You need to manage that fact with how you water. Why not add a good chitin-rich compost to the raised bed topsoil just like a normal organic amendment? Check out Coast of Maine's Stonington Blend and their organic plant food line. A 15-20 gallon pot, filled with Stonington, supposedly has enough nutes to nourish the plant right through harvest; though I've read accounts that say you need to add amendments by week 2 of flower.

I started out in 3, 5 and 7 gallon pots and found them too small for the harvest I wanted to achieve from one seed: one pound of dank top-shelf. So now I'm in a 10 gallon and I'm hopeful that my current plant will yield more than a pound.

Topping, pruning and low stress training will help you maximize your yield and potency and those techniques are easily learned here, YT, etc..

Good luck with your grow!
Thanks for the tips, Doc! Unfortunately, my girl looks like she's not too happy, and I'm thinking it might be due to compaction. The soil was draining really well and drying quickly, but now it seems to be taking longer to dry and not draining as well as it was. I thought a small shot of Osmocote Plus might help, so I gave it about a quarter dose last week, but I don't know...she's outside right now in mottled sunlight, but I'll bring her back in once the sun gets overhead. I'm facing south, and ol' Sol gets pretty hot this time of year up against the house.

I'm a casual, lightweight smoker, and I only sprouted the seeds and put 'em in dirt on a whim, with no serious expectations. Started looking around and found this place, where the enormity of the industry actually kinda smacked me upside the head. o_O I'll probably just nurse this one a little, then let it die off if that's what it's gonna do, when I'll pull it up and examine the roots, etc. Meanwhile, I'll nose around in here and try to pick up some learnin' for next year.

My wife is a stodgy teetotaler and she doesn't like it, but it's legal med. and rec. where we live, so she just deals with it. Out of deference to her, and due to my lack of desire to get real elaborate with it, I want to stick pretty much to an indoor pot or two with limited expense and bother. I like the KISS principle for some things. I don't know how feasible that is for this endeavor, but I'm hanging out here and taking notes. We'll see.

Lots of folks here that I'd probably call PRO's. I'm literally starting from the ground (soil) up. I don't know nothing! lol

"Topping, pruning and low stress training" Yep. Those are foreign words to me, but I'll get the hang of them, and try not to be a bother here as well.

Thanks for the tips, Doc! Unfortunately, my girl looks like she's not too happy, and I'm thinking it might be due to compaction. The soil was draining really well and drying quickly, but now it seems to be taking longer to dry and not draining as well as it was. I thought a small shot of Osmocote Plus might help, so I gave it about a quarter dose last week, but I don't know...she's outside right now in mottled sunlight, but I'll bring her back in once the sun gets overhead. I'm facing south, and ol' Sol gets pretty hot this time of year up against the house.

I'm a casual, lightweight smoker, and I only sprouted the seeds and put 'em in dirt on a whim, with no serious expectations. Started looking around and found this place, where the enormity of the industry actually kinda smacked me upside the head. o_O I'll probably just nurse this one a little, then let it die off if that's what it's gonna do, when I'll pull it up and examine the roots, etc. Meanwhile, I'll nose around in here and try to pick up some learnin' for next year.

My wife is a stodgy teetotaler and she doesn't like it, but it's legal med. and rec. where we live, so she just deals with it. Out of deference to her, and due to my lack of desire to get real elaborate with it, I want to stick pretty much to an indoor pot or two with limited expense and bother. I like the KISS principle for some things. I don't know how feasible that is for this endeavor, but I'm hanging out here and taking notes. We'll see.

Lots of folks here that I'd probably call PRO's. I'm literally starting from the ground (soil) up. I don't know nothing! lol

"Topping, pruning and low stress training" Yep. Those are foreign words to me, but I'll get the hang of them, and try not to be a bother here as well.
I now understand your goals and they make perfect sense. If you do decide to make a move to grow indoors, my advice would be to "use organic living soil" as that is the easiest way to grow - just add water and occasionally amend the topsoil with organic nutes. Anyone here would be happy to help you get started.

Good luck and happy growing!

Latest posts

Back