High, from Mo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbOldster

Reaction score
Hi, folks! By way of introduction, I'm an old fart that grew up on the Gulf Coast of Old Florida, where one could occasionally snag a Square Grouper when walking the beach. We relocated to my bride's hometown somewhat near to the current winner/runner up for 'most crime-ridden city in America' a tad over 24 years ago.

I was stationed on Oahu for two years, where the Premium Columbian Gold of the day was considered almost throwaway, compared to local products. I've smoked weed that was called Thai Stick, Maui Wowie, Kona Gold...and I might question those who say that weed of old does not compare to the new strains. Maybe it's just my age, but those days on Oahu were almost magical. :cool:

But I'm not a chemist and I don't know SQUAT about weed at this point (which is why I'm here).

I took my first toke at age 14, and I've been pretty much a lifelong 'felonious' user of the devil's lettuce since. I'm no longer a 'felon', at least at the state level, and I don't have a famous daddy to bail me out of trouble, so I'm still a bit on the more covert side of life as regards cannabis.

Missouri is medicinal and recreational now. A friend of mine gave me a bud from her medicinal stash early this year, and two tiny seeds popped out of it, so I decided "What the heck?" Went to Home Depot and bought a bag of Bonnie Harvest Select Raised Bed soil, put it in a roughly 5-gallon wooden barrel-style pot, and when my germinated seeds were big enough, I transplanted both of them into the big pot, side by side.

I've added zero nutrients, and I use only distilled water when I douse them. They get a mix of sunlight and LED light, but they're just in a pot. No grow room. When it's hella hot outside, they stay inside. When it's nice, I'll carry them outside. I'm retired and only work two days a week, so I can babysit them a bunch.

I'm here to maybe prep for next year, and for y'all to help me find the right path. We'll see how my first-ever plant does. I'm only interested in personal consumption, so my "farm" is gonna be tiny and nowhere near professional.

I'm willing to learn, and this forum seems to be pretty busy. Thanks for lettin' me in! Name's Bob.

Attachments

• 20230810_093256.jpg
    20230810_093256.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Hello Bob and welcome aboard.

I appreciate your intro.

Your thoughts on old school weed compared to new age weed is right on.

I grew up as a teenager in the 60’s in Southern California where a lot of strains that you mentioned were also available in Cali.

Looks like you will have plenty of time between now and next spring to figure out the style of grow you most like.

And there are plenty of Master Ganja Gardeners hanging around here that are full of shit , er I mean great knowledge and are sometimes happy to help….

no , that last statement was a lie and the only info they will give you is add more cal mag and wait two more weeks

in fact , if I am not mistaken , which is seldom , there is another member here who also lives in Misery , er , I mean Missouri , dam spellcheck , and he grows outdoors

do you know if you want to grow indoors or outdoors?

also , your two plants look good…..but……it has been my experience that two plants size by side like yours , don’t do well , seems they compete for water and nutrients which leaves one plant stunted and one semi healthy

the good news is , you will probably be able to harvest some buds for some good old home grown herbs

I hope I am wrong and both of those plants thrive and you get a decent harvest

IMG_5458.jpeg

I appreciate your intro.

I grew up as a teenager in the 60’s in Southern California where a lot of strains that you mentioned were also available in Cali.

Looks like you will have plenty of time between now and next spring to figure out the style of grow you most like.

And there are plenty of Master Ganja Gardeners hanging around here that are full of shit , er I mean great knowledge and are sometimes happy to help….

no , that last statement was a lie and the only info they will give you is add more cal mag and wait two more weeks

in fact , if I am not mistaken , which is seldom , there is another member here who also lives in Misery , er , I mean Missouri , dam spellcheck , and he grows outdoors

also , your two plants look good…..but……it has been my experience that two plants size by side like yours , don’t do well , seems they compete for water and nutrients which leaves one plant stunted and one semi healthy

the good news is , you will probably be able to harvest some buds for some good old home grown herbs

View attachment 337049
Thanks! I'm having some leaf edge curl going on right now. I'm also sure I need to do some housekeeping as regards trimming/pruning. I've only got the cost of the dirt and the bucket wrapped up in them though...so I won't jump off a bridge or anything if I kill it, though I'd be rather pleased to enjoy the fruits of my labors in a couple months..

Newb.
Well brother you came to the right place. We have some of the best growers on the net. Some even grow for Dispensaries. Hang around and ask away.
Check out the Misfits Thread and The OLd Farts Club Thread if ya wanna have some fun with a bunch of crazy ass potheads. Hope you enjoy the Passion.

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/island-of-misfits.77754/post-1309589

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/the-original-old-farts-club.78469/post-1309576
Thanks, WeedHopper! I'll do that.

I appreciate your intro.

View attachment 337049
I hope you're wrong too! 🙂

I hope you're wrong too! 🙂
I had 6 plants in a gallon planter last year. They didn’t get big(maybe 18” tall) but they finished fine. I don’t recall what the commune yielded or if any were bigger than the others either. I don’t remember much, huh? Another couple of caveats, they were revegged clones and pollinated. 😁

I had 6 plants in a gallon planter last year. They didn’t get big(maybe 18” tall) but they finished fine. I don’t recall what the commune yielded or if any were bigger than the others either. I don’t remember much, huh? Another couple of caveats, they were revegged clones and pollinated. 😁
6 (SIX?) plants in a one-gallon planter? Holy moly. Way out of my league! lol

a bag of Bonnie Harvest Select Raised Bed soil,
Just noticed this. Raised bed soil has dirt and its not a good idea to use dirt in pots. What happens is its all fine until its been watered enough. Then the soil compacts and your plants drown because the pot wont drain.

Want a good cheap mix?......ProMix All Purpose at Menards is under $20 a bale for more than you need to fill a pot that big.
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...1020030rg/p-1444451345687-c-1463608034794.htm
Amend with
Worm Castings

Chick N Poo (also Menards) https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...-9e1e-4a1e-8f2e-f9d9fbf272ef&ipos=1&exp=false

About 10-20% GOOD compost. Sometimes the Mushroom Compost is great other times it sucks. Never know until you open the bag.

I can also show you a place in the STL area for specialized supplies/seeds/clones/ect. I use Happy Hydro but you might find some local sources cheaper too.

Thanks for the info, Triple Sec! I'll look into it, and if you know someplace local... :)

My soil *seems* to drain great - it seems to have a good bit of organic material in it, though no worms. I chopped up some ornamental grass stems (about pencil size around) and put maybe an inch of that in the bottom of the pot. Then I just dumped the soil in. No amendments, nothing but distilled water for food thus far. (But you just gave me an idea - I'll water it today, but I'll set it on a stand inside a galvanized washtub. I usually dump about a gallon of water in it every few days, temperature-dependent. It stays mostly inside the house in conditioned air, with the occasional foray out into the sun.
Then I'll measure how much water drains out of it to see how much stays in the pot.

Is it OK to reuse the 'tea' that drains out of the pot? Incidentally...I do have some leaf curl and a little spotting going on. I'm not looking for a silver bullet 'fix', but any input is appreciated! Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20230810_093451.jpg
    20230810_093451.jpg
    887.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230810_093306.jpg
    20230810_093306.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Leaf curl is the plant defending itself from heat stress. Most likely from being close to a light. Many plants do it when they get hot from light.

Your spots look like the start of thrip damage. Need to get some Jacks Dead Bug. Pest strips in the grow area too but they are more effective in a limited space.
https://bonide.com/product/captain-jacks-dbb-conc/
Chitosan (chitin) is also a natural "biocide". Use about a gram per gallon. Chitosan triggers an immune response from the plant. You can buy bags on Amazon as low as about $15 from Bulk Supplements. Crab/lobster meal is also very high in chitosan BUT its also high in other nutrients and its expensive.

Kelp powder helps plants deal with stress. ATM you can get a free bag from MEGACROP when you get a 3lb sample for just the shipping price. So you get 3ish lbs of good nutrients and a free bag of kelp powder.

This new batch im trying is much better than the old one.

Use the promo code listed and its like $10 shipped to your door. MEGACROPPROMO
guaranteed-high-res.png

https://greenleafnutrients.com/product/mega-crop/

Last edited:
Leaf curl is the plant defending itself from heat stress. Most likely from being close to a light. Many plants do it when they get hot from light.

Your spots look like the start of thrip damage. Need to get some Jacks Dead Bug. Pest strips in the grow area too but they are more effective in a limited space.
https://bonide.com/product/captain-jacks-dbb-conc/
Chitosan (chitin) is also a natural "biocide". Use about a gram per gallon. Chitosan triggers an immune response from the plant. You can buy bags on Amazon as low as about $15 from Bulk Supplements.

Kelp powder helps plants deal with stress. ATM you can get a free 100gram bag from MEGACROP when you get a 3lb sample for just the shipping price. So you get 3ish lbs of good nutrients and a free 100gram bag of kelp powder.

This new batch im trying is much better than the old one.

Use the promo code listed and its like $10 shipped to your door. MEGACROPPROMO
https://greenleafnutrients.com/product/mega-crop/
Oddly, the plant is never closer than about three feet from a cool-to-the-touch shop-style LED light that's over my washer/dryer in the garage...unless I take it outside. I only do that if outside temps are conducive, as I'm working out of the south side of my house when I'm outside. It gets real hot there, so the plant stays mostly inside, except for mornings.

I keep a thermometer in the soil, and it hovers right around 70 (and a little plus) F.
My garage air is conditioned (low humidity) and right now, against an insulated outer wall, it's about 78. The light surface temp is around 95, and I have two fans running almost constantly.

I definitely had thrips, but a couple doses of Bon-Neem seems to have gotten rid of them. I haven't seen any bugs since, and it's been over a month now.

So Much To Learn! So Many Variables! GAAAHH! lol

Thank you for the links and the info! I'm absorbing as much as I can for next year, and if this thing produces for me...all the better! I think I have about 30 bucks in it. No...40, counting the neem oil. My journey begins...😀

Veggies its no problem because you can wash it all with Dr Bonners soap. Get it at Walmart. Good stuff to mix with neem too. Cant wash neem off buds but you can give them a peroxide "bath" right after harvest to kill mold. All the crud floats to the top. Skim it off with a paper towel before taking the buds out to dry off.

Latest posts

Back