(2) 600W HPS -vs- (1) 1000W HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isn't it true that out of all of the different sizes of hps lights, that the 600watt is the best price per lumen? i think i saw that written somewhere, can anyone confirm?

ShOrTbUs said:
isn't it true that out of all of the different sizes of hps lights, that the 600watt is the best price per lumen? i think i saw that written somewhere, can anyone confirm?

I have always thought that they indeed get the best lumen to watt ratio. I like 600's.

how much more heat will 2 600's put out compared to a 1000? your getting roughly 50k more total lumens out of 2 600's compared to 1 1000. you'll pay roughly an extra $100-$150 more for 2 600's, then 1 1000. but 2 600's will allow for a larger space. 5x5 max on the 1k, and 6x6 on the 2 600's

Ok here is my input on this matter 1000 watt 145 - 150,000 lumens
600 watt 88,000 lumens
agreed that 600's are more efficient cost wise but yield wise ????
now your going to have to sit back for a moment and look what kind of growing are you doing , for instance many many growers are not worried about efficiency or electrical costs when producing large quantities.
3 things you need to worry about watt per sq foot, luminious output , and heat
Now there are going to be posts well i can place my 600 16" from tops , my answer is great i can place my open reflector 1000 watts same who cares
what you need to really know is how far away can you place your lights for instance 600 watt placed 36" away from top of plant has lost a crap load of its power where a 1000 from 16" - 30 " from tops will still give you maximum penetration , this is what it really comes down to penetration power
1000 watt will cover 5 x 5 area very nicely and more one of my first grows was 72 plants 2k i yielded 6 pounds dry
just place a 600 watt bulb in your hand then grab a 1000 watt bad boy

so imo if you can control heat then 1000's all the way most 600 grows best they can get is maybe 1.5 pounds and this is pro level grower figure out GPW from that 6 pound 2 k grow 1000's bigger harder nugs , faster growth , its a win win in my books

600's have the best watt to lumen ratio.

2 600's will out perform a 1000 in the same space. With the 600's putting out a total of 190,000 lumens compared to 155,000 for a 1000.jmo

Lose the live links Dr.....against the rules. I put zero stock in anything I see on YouTube.

Thanks All - Please continue with the Pros & Cons.

Fever --- I have a 5 X 5 tent. --- 2 X 600 = 1,200 watts

You get a better spread with two 600 watters,, because they can be seperated,, and you get more Lumens with the 2 600 watters,, so Im not seeing how a single 1000 Watter is better then 2 600 watters that throws more Lumens. Again you have lost me with yur math.

DrFever said:
1000 watt will cover 5 x 5 area very nicely and more one of my first grows was 72 plants 2k i yielded 6 pounds dry

I just don't buy it bud. 3 lb per 1000w, I call **...again. I have sen your scrogs, and you are no where near 3 p a light bro, no where near.

NorCalHal said:
I just don't buy it bud. 3 lb per 1000w, I call **...again. I have sen your scrogs, and you are no where near 3 p a light bro, no where near.

But YouTube grows are always honest an unbiased....:rolleyes:

A 1K will give you 6200lumens/sqft and two 600 will give you 7600 lumens/sqft.

The biggest pro for the two 600 is the difference in lumens/sqft. Con is cost involved in starting up.
As far as pro's and con's after that, they are the same for both, since you could put 2 bulbs in one reflector. Just really depends on what type of growing one is doing.jmo

NorCalHal said:
yes Norcali its true i have started a thread in grow journals have a peak i will get 8 - 12 pounds dry from 3 k of lighting 12 plants
my previous grow whaich was slapped together in heat of summer was 5 plant 4.75 pounds dry 2k

picture1156c.jpg

picture1054k.jpg

picture1112.jpg

Dr.Fever said:
3 things you need to worry about watt per sq foot, luminious output , and heat

:confused2: Dr. Fever even in your original post you mentioned the 3 three things to worry about and two 600's scientifically outperform the 1K on 2 out of 3. So I am confused on your reasoning:confused2:

Most growers go by lumens/sqft and not watt/sqft because if one is using 3 year old bulbs, they are using the same amount of watts but not nearly getting the same amount of lumens as new bulbs using the same wattage.;)

pcduck said:
:confused2: Dr. Fever even in your original post you mentioned the 3 three things to worry about and two 600's scientifically outperform the 1K on 2 out of 3. So I am confused on your reasoning:confused2:

Most growers go by lumens/sqft and not watt/sqft because if one is using 3 year old bulbs, they are using the same amount of watts but not nearly getting the same amount of lumens as new bulbs using the same wattage.;)

That's grossly incorrect.
Luminosity (lumens) is an intrinsecal property of a light source and doesn't change with distance. The lumens are the same at 1 inch , 1 foot or 10 miles.... it's the intensity (LUX, 1Lux = 1 lumen / square meter) , what is afected by the inverse square law, but only where light is travelling in all directions three-dimensionaly...it's meaningles in this scenario, where you are directing nearly all light in the same direction.

As long as your room walls are reflective and you have a reflector that is not directing light to the wrong direction, you get at least 80% - 95% of the total lumens emited by the bulb over your grow area.... so the intensity (lumens/area) does not decrease whatever the distance... In practice , if your lights are say, 2 miles away, photons will collide with dust particles , energy will get dissipated heating the air in between., and you would lose some (not much) light intensity...
If you didn't have a reflector, and bulb and a plant area of were placed in outer space or in a grow room painted in black . by the inverse square law , the 2x 600W at 1 meter distance and the 2X1000W a 1.29 meters would provide the same intensity to the grow area.
regards.

Dr.Fever said:
That's grossly incorrect.

What part of my statement is grossly incorrect?

In practice , if your lights are say, 2 miles away, photons will collide with dust particles , energy will get dissipated heating the air in between., and you would lose some (not much) light intensity...

Then how come my flashlight won't let me see what is 2 miles in front of me? Now I may see a flashlight from 2 miles away but I sure cannot see 2 miles with a flashlight.

I have a 6 x 3.5' closet that I run either a single 1000W or 2 600W lights in. I am currently running the 1000W and have the 600W in another closet. I always get better yield from the 2 600W lights than the single 1000W. I of course put it down to the increase in lumens and the better spread of the light.

I use 2 600w in 5x5tents and I like using the 2 lights over a single 1k because it gives the plants 2 sources of light in case one fails for some reason. It also gives light to the plants from 2 different directions which eliminates most of the shadowing on the lower branches and helps the lower buds develop better. Here is 4 Pineapple chunk plants in hydro in one of the 5x5 tents. I had to pull them down with guy wires once they got up close to the lights and now they fill up the whole tent. They are in their 6th week of flower, and should go to the end of 9 weeks before harvesting :)

pchk11-9.JPG

pchk11-9a.JPG

pchk11-9b.JPG

I am converting and replacing each 1k with two 600s for all the above reasons. Not really concerned with the lumens but more interested in more even distribution and closer distance from decreased heat. But I'll do it with dimmable 1k digitals so I can pump them up when the mood strikes.

But no way someone can expect near 1lb per plant indoors; even if you dedicate 1k per plant. I call shenanigans on that one... Total fantasy unless you are counting leaf and stem weight or you are vegging for 4-6 months first; which still remains B-S.

Latest posts

Back