400 watt HID/inline 424 CFM / into tall boy carbon filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
HI everyone.. I am about to order 3 items from HTG supplys first is a 400 watt HID/HPS lamp I will want an enclosed unit with glass covering the bulb I was told..with 6 inch vent cooling thru the lamp I cannot run my duct out a window nor an attic so I will be attaching duct pulling from my Light and out into a tall boy carbon filter/ inline fan 424 cfm that will be strapped over head. Does this sound good to everyone? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks yall ( tent is 40 x 40 x 78 high )

hero4u2b said:
HI everyone.. I am about to order 3 items from HTG supplys first is a 400 watt HID/HPS lamp I will want an enclosed unit with glass covering the bulb I was told..with 6 inch vent cooling thru the lamp I cannot run my duct out a window nor an attic so I will be attaching duct pulling from my Light and out into a tall boy carbon filter/ inline fan 424 cfm that will be strapped over head. Does this sound good to everyone? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks yall ( tent is 40 x 40 x 78 high )

Hi hero4,

HTG supply is great, I have ordered from them before and been very happy. Your tent is just over 72 cubic feet so that fan will change the air more than 5 times a minute and should be more than enough for ventilation and keeping temps down in the tent. You really want to find a way to vent the air out of the tent and the room the tent is in though.

People hook up their light+fan+filter in different ways, but in my opinion the best way is to have the carbon filter suspended near the ceiling in your tent. The fan hooked up next pulling air through the carbon filter, and then pushing air through the light and then out of the tent. I like this way because you are not pulling the hot air from the light through your fan and then pushing it through your carbon filter.

Everything else sounds good to me. The only other thing I would consider doing is using a 600watt HID instead of a 400 watt. I know for that size tent people say a 400 will work just fine but a 600 will give you much better results and you should still be able to keep the temps down easily with that fan. A 600 watt HID gives out TWICE as mush light as a 400 watt HID but at only 150% the electrical usage.
GOOD LUCK!
-SSF-

I agree with Sensi, 600w is waaaaay better than 400. You won't be sorry.

All I have to comment is that those fans are loud, I hope you're not planning to sleep next to that thing.

LoL well it is the walk in closet in in my bedroom.. I never thought about that.. My major concern is keep the smell of weed out of the condo so nosey nieghbors won't become suspicious.. Maybe I should go with the smaller fan? I don't know I will speak with the people at HTG ,I hear they are good ppl. I don't want to do large grows 4 to 6 plants MAX. IF anything ever did happen as far as cops.. I am using this for medicinal purpose's. Por eso, I would like the 400 vrs the 600 watt.. Thanks yall Hero

hero4u2b said:
I would like the 400 vrs the 600 watt.. Thanks yall Hero

I understand man, to each his own. But having grown with a 400HPS and with 600HPS, 400HPS can't hold a candle (I wanted to say it can't hold a foot-candle but I am allergic to bad puns). If you are going to spend the money, it is worth it IMO.
-SSF-

Just get a speed controller with your fan. My tent is in our bathroom closet and I run my fan 24 hrs a day. You can barely hear it when I'm laying in bed.

Yup someone else suggested a speed controler.. They are inexspensive and def on my list..Things keep adding up thou I am at $ 700.00. I know that might not sound like a lot of investment but I want to make sure I can pull this off first ( no smell) before possibly realizing I shouldnt grow in a condo where I cant vent thru an attic or window.. Thanks Hero

IMO, a speed controller is a MUST. My fan is in my crawl space right below my bedroom and I cannot hear it at all. I recommend insulated ducting.

Having slept for a couple years next to my grow before I moved and got a basement, THG has given ya gold info. The noise will drive ya nuts if ya don't install those things...

On the speed control many of these hydro stores sell, they are actually designed for routers and are basically pulse width modulators which in many fan motors will cause them to hum. I have one like HTG sells and it does work and when fan is slowed down is WAY quieter than no speed control........until you have tried your fan on a speed controller with anti hum circuitry built in, the difference is not subtle. You will go from merely quiet with one of those router controllers HTG and others sell to truly stealthy submarine quiet using a better controller with anti hum circuitry.

Thanks everyone u all teach me alot. Will speak with HTG regarding these things, Bad news thou they are closed on Mondays now I have to wait till tomorrow. Hero

Latest posts

Back